Did the cable company lie???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RyanJE, Aug 28, 2006.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

They told me i need an HD cable box in order to view hd on a TV with a BUILT-IN HD tuner.

That doesnt make any sense to me, is that true??

2. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

I believe it is true. The HD Tuner, if memory serves me right, will pick up over the air HD broadcasts.

I could be very wrong though and wouldn't be surprised if I am.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Digital Cable usually requires a QAM tuner, and is often encrypted. Some TVs will, with the aid of a CableCard, decrypt the signal.
    Over The Air HDTV uses a 8VSB tuner (often just called ATSC). Many HDTVs only have 8VSB tuners, and cannot receive digital cable without a cable box.

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    If you want to use any PPV or VOD services (even the free VOD), you would need the box anyway.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    A lot of cable companies broadcast local HD channels in un-encrypted QAM. ESPN HD, etc will probably be encrypted and require a cablecard or HD cable box.

Newer TV's are required to have an ATSC (OTA digital tuner) but not a QAM tuner, so whether or not you can get HD without a cable box depends on the make/model of TV that you have.

-Robert

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hee, hee. A buddy of mine in a town near me bought an HD Panasonic plasma. He was happy to see that he could do this with his plasma and cable. For a while. Then the cable company got smart and somehow turned off "free" HD. So now he has to rent a box.

7. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Actually the model im looking at is a panasonic TH-42px600u. So you guys are saying i do need an HD cable box. What is the BUILT-IN tuner for then.

And, if i get a crappy box will it degrade the signal rather than if i went straight to the tv??

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The tuner is so cheapskates like me can just use an antenna and receive crystal clear pictures without resorting to cable.

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I guess it depends on your cable company cable lineup in your city.

In Mountain View CA, I have Comcast and subscribe to "Limited Basic Cable" which they just used COAX splitter, the other end = Cable Internet.

So, after I received my Toshiba 56HM195 1080p HDTV w/ATSC/QAM Tuners, I just scanned my channels and found the following HD channels:

1) KNTV CH 2-1
    2) NBC CH 116-1
    3) CBS CH 5-1
    4) ABC CH 7-1
    5) HDNet KRON CH 112-2
    6) PBS HD CH 9-1

... so I'm happy [​IMG] since the only shows I usally watch is on Channel 5 HD (NCIS, CIS, The Unit & Numb3rs). I'm also covered for HiDef Football in my SF Bay Area if I'm home to watch in w/CBS, NBC and KNTV-HDs.

Try scanning first and see what HD channels you get.

Phil

10. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Shouldn't for the HD/SD digital channels. Analog channels, TV might be better, you can always split a line straight to the set to check. Analog channels will be worse through the DVR models since they have to be encoded.

11. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

Usually, the internal is better than an external tuner. One less box sucking up eneregy cluttering up the area. That also depends on which input it is hooked to.

Bottom line; why pay the CC more each month just for the ability to pay them more each montyh with PPV, VOD etc. (stuff you can see eventually anyway).