What's new

Did Paramount quit the catalog releasing business? (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
bottom line...and really that's all the studios care about...there isn't enough sales right now with the economy and the over saturated DVD market to justify releasing old catalog titles on Blu-ray - esp if the title needs a major restoration to make any impact on Blu-ray

African Queen was never released on DVD until the Blu-ray

Ten Commandments is still a yearly event on tv/video it's the big Easter title

Everything else....not enought interest from the average Blu-ray buyer and they're still not as many of them as DVD had when it first started

There is only one Audrey Hepburn title on blu-ray (and it's from Criterion through Universal) so even Audrey can't get a blu-ray release from Paramount

"Once Upon a Time in the West" almost went directly into the bargain DVD bin after it was released

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I would agree, although some studios seem to want to put out at least a few classics to show that they are actually doing something.

Unfortunately many studios seem to think that 2 to 3 titles per year will do the job.

Originally Posted by GMpasqua

bottom line...and really that's all the studios care about...there isn't enough sales right now with the economy and the over saturated DVD market to justify releasing old catalog titles on Blu-ray - esp if the title needs a major restoration to make any impact on Blu-ray

Everything else....not enought interest from the average Blu-ray buyer and they're still not as many of them as DVD had when it first started

There is only one Audrey Hepburn title on blu-ray (and it's from Criterion through Universal) so even Audrey can't get a blu-ray release from Paramount

"Once Upon a Time in the West" almost went directly into the bargain DVD bin after it was released

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The Once Upon A Time In the West DVD was terrific but I was surprised to see it for so cheap soon after it was released - and it stayed cheap. It's still available for under $10. I take this to mean that not many people bought a copy so they've had to price it down to move inventory. It's a very unfortunate situation because this stuff costs so much to produce yet nobody buys. The only movies making heaps of money these days are cutesy Pixar cartoons that studios keep churning out. People buy those by the armloads.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Luisito34 The Once Upon A Time In the West DVD was terrific but I was surprised to see it for so cheap soon after it was released - and it stayed cheap. It's still available for under $10. The only movies making heaps of money these days are cutesy Pixar cartoons that studios keep churningTout. People buy those by the armloads.

That's because kids watch the same movies over and over and over...till they know all the dialogue etc. It's cheaper to buy the disc for the kid then to have to keep renting it etc. Plus Adults usually don't watch a film 3-4 times a day - maybe once a year

These aren't movies they're Baby sitters

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

The part that doesn't make sense to me is this. Why would a company license a bunch of films from somebody and then not release them? A proper restored release of "The Quiet Man" could be a HUUUUUUGE release!!
Would it? After spending probably several thousand dollars to clean it up and produce a good master, then manufacturing it, how many copies would they actually sell? Without doing that, they probably collect some minimal licensing fees for it to be shown on the TCM etc., and they don't have to put any effort into it. I'm glad when we get classic films on BD, but I'm not surprised when we don't.

Doug

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Well, the previous releases of "The Quiet Man" were stocked at every major retailer that I visited included Best Buy, Target, Suncoast, etc..., etc.... It may not be as well known as "Gone with the Wind", "Casablanca", & "The Wizard of Oz", but it's not too far behind. It stars one of the biggest names of all-time, was directed by one of the best directors of all-time, and features a beautiful setting (if properly restored!). If the market for this title is not as good as it once was, it is their own damn fault. As much as we may hate seeing "Oz" or "Casbalanca' re-released every few years, that's what keeps the name in the public's mind. If either of those titles were left to rot for 10 years, you would see a substantial drop in interest for those as well. If Paramount had any interest, they could make this title just as big with a good marketing campaign. Unfortunately, the oldest still running studio doesn't have any interest in their own properties. (Aside from the Godfather, Hepburn, & John Wayne westerns). For years, they flooded the DVD market with classic films with little or no press and then wondered why they did not sell like hotcakes. I've found a number of Parmount titles at Big Lots for $3 that I was unaware were even released....and I've visited this forum and other online websites nearly every day for 10 years. They should be absolutely ashamed. [/url]

Would it? After spending probably several thousand dollars to clean it up and produce a good master, then manufacturing it, how many copies would they actually sell? Without doing that, they probably collect some minimal licensing fees for it to be shown on the TCM etc., and they don't have to put any effort into it. I'm glad when we get classic films on BD, but I'm not surprised when we don't.

Doug

[/quote]

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Now, I know absolutely nothing about the way corporate entities work (I've been told that in no uncertain terms) but I recall Sumner Redstone giving a speech a few years back where he was saying that it was his wish that Viacom exploited its entire catalogue fully. This was before the company was reorganised. I remember thinking "oh good, some decent catalogue titles from Paramount finally", but nothing happened. It was just before Paramount licensed that handful of films to Legend. I just wonder what kind of persuasive argument the home entertainment people had for their CEO to carry on not producing catalogue titles.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp

Looks like "Once Upon a Time in the West" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" may be on their way to Blu. See the article at the Bits: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Given that almost every Paramount catalog DVD is out of print, and given Amazon's recent (?) practice of displaying a "fulfilled by Amazon" third party seller's price in the lead spot, making it look, at a glance, like the product is still available new from Amazon (until you do a double-take on the price), here's an example of the present state of catalog title shopping:

http://www.amazon.com/Shootist-John-Wayne/dp/B00005JSGL/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1299241133&sr=1-1

And lest we forget this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Man-Blu-ray-Robert-Preston/dp/B001B51B9M/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1299244580&sr=1-4

Thanks, Parmount. Thanks, Warners. And a very special thanks to you, too, Amazon.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Do people still buy catalog titles on DVD in 2011? I thought most already owned the titles they wanted and the rest are waiting for the Blu-ray release so they won't have to double dip

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Do people still buy catalog titles on DVD in 2011? I thought most already owned the titles they wanted and the rest are waiting for the Blu-ray release so they won't have to double dip

Personally I don't like to as I would just as soon wait for the BD, but I'm realistic with some titles. It its taken over 10 years to come out on DVD, how long will it take for Blu-ray?

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I don't see Paramount rupturing itself to release much of its back catalogue on BD. I'm not sure I'd hold my breath to see them embracing VOD or streaming for that matter. They just don't seem to be bothered as long as they can flog a handful of cash cows and dead horses.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Absolutely yes! I would still buy catalog titles on DVD whenever the studios choose to release them. The titles I'm itching to buy are titles that will likely not show up on BluRay anytime soon, if ever. The films of Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Marlene Dietrich, Claudette Colbert, Mae West, W.C. Fields, Fred MacMurray, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour and all the other Paramount greats that MCA/Universal is sitting on and not releasing. I don't need these titles on BluRay at $25 each, but more DVD box sets like those done for Colbert, West, Dietrich and Cooper would be most appreciated. Release them on DVD-R if necessary, but get them out there!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Ditto! As much as I love Blu-Ray, I'm not going to wait around for deep-catalog titles to hit Blu-Ray when many still have not hit SD. When a title appears on both formats, I'll usually take Blu, but that depends on price, quality of picture and other factors.

Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

Absolutely yes! I would still buy catalog titles on DVD whenever the studios choose to release them. The titles I'm itching to buy are titles that will likely not show up on BluRay anytime soon, if ever. The films of Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Marlene Dietrich, Claudette Colbert, Mae West, W.C. Fields, Fred MacMurray, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour and all the other Paramount greats that MCA/Universal is sitting on and not releasing. I don't need these titles on BluRay at $25 each, but more DVD box sets like those done for Colbert, West, Dietrich and Cooper would be most appreciated. Release them on DVD-R if necessary, but get them out there!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Rob_Ray Absolutely yes! I would still buy catalog titles on DVD whenever the studios choose to release them. The titles I'm itching to buy are titles that will likely not show up on BluRay anytime soon, if ever. The films of Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Marlene Dietrich, Claudette Colbert, Mae West, W.C. Fields, Fred MacMurray, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour and all the other Paramount greats that MCA/Universal is sitting on and not releasing. I don't need these titles on BluRay at $25 each, but more DVD box sets like those done for Colbert, West, Dietrich and Cooper would be most appreciated. Release them on DVD-R if necessary, but get them out there!

Yes, but you're taling about titles that willnever come to blu-ray

How many will wait for a Blu-ray of "The Shootist" or "Breakfast At Tiffany's" then triple dip on a DVD (is it even triple now, hasn't this title gone through 5 DVD releases?)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Most of my DVD purchasing is for stuff that has no chance of coming out on Blu-Ray or TV shows that have even less of a chance (or were shot on tape, in which case a Blu-Ray would show no gain in picture quality).

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by GMpasqua Yes, but you're taling about titles that willnever come to blu-ray

How many will wait for a Blu-ray of "The Shootist" or "Breakfast At Tiffany's" then triple dip on a DVD (is it even triple now, hasn't this title gone through 5 DVD releases?)

For me as a lover of classic film, there are only two kinds of catalog titles: those, like College Rhythm with Lyda Roberti that will never come to BluRay and those, like Breakfast at Tiffany's that keep coming out again and again and again. You asked if people still buy catalog titles on DVD in 2011. And my answer is yes to the former and no to the latter. I'm done buying Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Shootist on DVD because I already have definitive DVDs and I know the only enticement for me to repurchase those titles might be a BluRay. But a DVD release of The Miracle Man, starring Sylvia Sidney? Yes, indeed!

In other words, if it's a title that's never come to DVD after fourteen years of the format, I'm not holding out for a BluRay. If it's a title that comes out every four years, I'm not buying it again on DVD and will think twice before even purchasing a BluRay.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Warner noir boxes are day 1 purchases for me and just about the only DVD's I've purchased in the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks