Did I damage anything in my receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JasonMA, Apr 2, 2004.

1. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

Yesterday I was watching a video tape of a program I had recorded earlier and I noticed that my right speaker was putting out a very distorted sound. I switched to TV and it didn't sound distorted in any way, so I thought that maybe one of the wires from the RCA Y adapter/splitter I have connected to the mono out on the back of my VCR was loose. I reached around the back of my VCR to check, and it was in fact loose. So loose, that when I touched it, one of the wires connected to the adapter fell out.

I then decided it would be wise to move my entertainment center so I could get behind and tighten any loose connections, but as soon as I let the y adapter go, my receiver (Yamaha RX-V630) shut off by itself. I turned it back on and a message flashed in the display that read: "Check sp wires." I turned the receiver off, unplugged everything, and went behind the entertainment center to investigate. What happened was the unconnected end of the y adapter from the VCR had made contact with on of the banana plugs for my speakers, and it was still connected to the VCR!

Could I have damaged my speakers or my receiver in any way? I double checked all connections and turned everything back on and all seems to sound fine, but nonetheless I am a bit worried.

2. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

It sounds like your Yamaha did what it was supposed to in order to prevent damage. Also, unless you actually heard huge distortion or a loud pop your speakers should be fine. Some speakers are fused, which is helpful to prevent damage.You can also install fuses inline between receiver and speaker. I think you're OK.

3. JasonMA

Thanks for the quick reply. Good thing the receiver turned off I guess. I heard no huge distortion or pops in the speakers, and like I said, they sound fine now. They don't have fuses (JBL NSP1), so I guess I'll just be more careful in the future. Thanks for reassuring that everything is OK.

4. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    I agree with Rob, the receiver safely did it's job.

It's good to see another Methuen person on this forum.
    Not only am I from Methuen (and work here too)but I have a Yamaha RX-V640 receiver.
    Please feel free to drop me a line if you need anything.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

5. JasonMA

Hey Al,

Always good to see another person in my area interested in home theater. I'll keep your name in mind in case anything comes up.