What's new

Did anyone watch Category 6:Day of Destruction?? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really don't know what to make of this. It felt like a production created by Michael Moore and Michael Bay. A disaster movie brimming with every cliched character...

-The Energy executive who doesn't care what happens as long as they control everything and make a profit.
-The crancky chief of the Weather service and his weasly 2nd in command who refuses to hear the warnings.
-A rebellous daughter of the plant manager.
-The zealous reporter fighting her editor/news programmer.
-The pregnant wife stuck in a elevator.

Did I forget anything or body?

And how many times was Enron mentioned.

;)

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I was able to watch about half of the first episode last night.

So far worlds better than 10.5 mainly due to the lack of pukevision or "little johny got ahold of daddies camcorder" directing style.

The cliches have just got to stop.

The agnst filled teenager character has just got to stop. There is nothing more annoying.

There is some good information. The explanation of the Fujita scale was good but overdramatic.

I will watch the rest of this one, It is a good piece of cheese so far.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
This one seems to have the same message as the movie The Day After Tomorrow -- "If only you people had stopped driving your SUV's three weeks ago, this never would have happened".:rolleyes

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Judging from a commercial I saw yesterday, it seriously looked like a disaster comedy.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
The previews made it look like Catagory 1: Show of Stupidity.

So, no, I didn't bother.:D

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
It looked real good in HDTV and the special effects were decent for a TV movie. The lot was all over the map, classic TV crap, but overall a decent disaster TV movie.
It finishes up on Wed.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I didn't know it was two parts, I fell asleep in the last 15 minutes of last night, so I thought I missed the end. I didn't get the titles either (Day 8 of 11?) I'm guessing Day 11 is the Day of Destruction, but it still seems weird to me to count up that way. I agree that so far the movie is pretty cheesy bad, but not much worse that what makes into the theaters nowadays.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
All I needed to AVOID seeing this was seeing Randy Quaid, or a Randy Quaid (as he was in ID4) facsimile in the promos. "We're goooooinnnnnng forrrrrrr a RIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!" No, you're not, you're getting Cuisinarted to death by a CGI tornado, Randy. Skipped it!

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
The CGI effects were decent for a made-for-TV movie, and the acting (although from a B-list cast, some A- -list and very cliched) was pretty good.

What ruined it for me was the hacker angle. As an avid weather watcher, I knew I would have to suspend reality when it came to the 'superstorms', but a hacker being able to control everything in Chicago? :rolleyes

Edit: Oh and I can't stand the 'stock' footage being used that doesn't seamlessly fit in. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

***/*****

Chris

Chris

Senior HTF Member
My wife was in Miami when Andrew went through. She saw the promos for Category 6 and turned to me to say: "lived it. who the hell wants to see it" (Yes, I know, Andrew wasn't "6" but there is no such thing, so I got the point)

The argument as to the environmental factors in this show is presented so badly, so devoid of reality that yeah, I thought of Day After Tomorrow.. made me wonder if Art Bell wrote this one as well :)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I thought it was well portrayed. The acting was convincing and the characters well fleshed out. The research done prior to the show was meticulous as evident by the flawless depiction of a real possiblility.

not.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
A typical TV disaster flick. They have to put the characters in situations so you can associate with at least one of them.

I can't help but feel that this cost less to make than it should have. I am sure that they 'copped' the Florida footage and seeing the tornados - well I just KNOW that they got them from the cutting room floor from the 'Day After Tomorrow.' That was just too easy.

As for the sequel, I already have it figured out, but it is going to be short. Two days later, an easterly wind clashes with the winds coming from the west, and stagnates over NYC. The 8 million living there get sick and die from the stench from all of the dead bodies in Chicago! They can call it - 'Sick in the City'! :)

Glenn

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Neh, see, I figure, we've done a hurricane movie, and an earthquake movie. I'm waiting for someone to pull a Volcano movie and contend that we are ready for an April 1815 eruption of Tambora type event.. Or maybe the creation of modern Deccan Traps, a continental shift that slams australia into Asia, etc. :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Probably one of the worst TV movies to come down the pipe in a long time. I felt sorry for Brian Dennehy. The part that bugged me the most was the "pregnant woman trapped in the elevator" cliche. I only watched it for the HIDEF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks