What's new

Did anyone upgrade their Gattica to Superbit? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm a fan of the movie, but don't own either version.

Usually, I pick a used copy of the original release when other people trade up to the Superbit.

In this case though, I heard that the Superbit was *far* better in terms of video quality.

Could anyone confirm or deny?

P.S. Funny, the HTF spell checker wants to correct Superbit to 'superbad'.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's been a persistent problem of the whole Superbit line, which is a triumph of marketing over substance (the new Lawrence disc excepted). The same old crappy unrestored transfers are too often used for the Superbit versions, which makes zero sense.:thumbsdown:

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Beware of edge enhancement. It's my only real complaint on the Superbit - but it's a biggie.

Any edge enhancement is too much, and this has more than a little.

-Scott

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's been a persistent problem of the whole Superbit line, which is a triumph of marketing over substance (the new Lawrence disc excepted). The same old crappy unrestored transfers are too often used for the Superbit versions, which makes zero sense.
Well, one could argue in the case of movies like Air Force One that the SB versions make sense even without new transfers. After all, the original AFO packed the entire 125 minute flick onto one layer. Theoretically the extra breathing room of the dual-layer presentation would improve the quality of the image.

But in general, I totally agree that without new transfers, the SB line makes little sense. I've reviewed a ton of SB titles but I almost never give the SB discs substantially higher ratings than the originals because they show all the same source defects and edge enhancement. Clearly the SB DVDs aren't the ultimate in picture because they still demonstrate so many flaws.

(BTW, I think Desperado featured a new transfer - I never saw it, but I recall hearing that...)

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I have the first Gattaca release both the video and audio are awesome!! No need to trade up here.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I upgraded to the superbit from the original, and it's definitely a new (and far superior, save the slight EE) transfer

Luis A

Second Unit
Agreed with Matt. The Gattaca SB version is far better not only visualy, but fidelity wise too with the added DTS track. As a person who has OWNED both the SB version is worth the upgrade, by far.:)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Frank@N:

If you've never owned the DVD and like the movie, then I would argue that buying the Superbit is an 'easy' choice to make. There were minimal supplements on the original release, so you are losing little and gaining the DTS track.

But more importantly (and I'm preaching to the choir here if you're a fan, but no one has said this yet in the thread), I wouldn't be overly discouraged from buying by the IMDb comments and the apropos criticisms of the Superbit line in this thread. Gattaca is such a wonderful, moving film. DP Slawomir Idziak's filter choices are interesting. Uma, Jude and Ethan are terrific. Michael Nyman's score is awesome, especially the end credits cue. Just go buy it. :)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks