What's new

Did anyone get the Pippi Longstocking release? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
And how does it look? I know it doesn't have the original Swedish soundtrack, but I'm debating the "movie" version boxset. Any comments are welcome.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I was wondering how this was too, some amazon.com reviews say it's a decent transfer. One said it will knock your socks off, but I seriously doubt that for a film it's age. Then again I have been wrong before.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I have never seen a good transfer of any of the Pippi films, even when originally released in the U.S. And of course, we all know how notoriously bad they were dubbed. They should re-dub them and have Dakota Fanning play Pippi.

HAHHA just kidding!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, but this was part of the charm as a kid. I am expecting a copy for review, so I'll post the link when it is ready.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I know it was badly dubbed... :D In fact, I recall a "Pippi" sketch on "SCTV" years ago in which they made savage fun of that fact. In a perfect world, that sketch would be included on the Pippi dvd :D I'm looking forward to it anyway. Havne't seen these films all the way through since the early 80s.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I'd rather see them in original Swedish language with subtitles. Actually, that's how I have seen all of them, never seen a dubbed version.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The review will be posted shortly, but I will say that these versions look pretty good. It would be interesting to see these with the original soundtrack though.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Is this the version that was mocked in THE GILMORE GIRLS last season?

There was an episode where Lorelei, Rory, and Luke go to the library for film night. The only movie they had was PIPPI. And, they had seen it so many times they do a running commentary on it, singing along with the theme, etc. Funny episode, probably funnier if you knew PIPPI (I didn't).

Yves Douville

Auditioning
Is this the one that you are talking about? It's been available in Canada fir a while.

secure.dep.ca/fr/produit_details.asp?ID=2552

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
No, that looks like it's the complete TV series! The one we are talking about contains the 4 movies derived from the TV series, as released in North America. I don't think the TV series ever came across in its entirety. Does that French version have a Swedish track/English subtitles?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It was a tv series originally? Geez, ya learn something every day. How long did it run?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks