What's new

Dick Tracy coming to DVD April 2nd (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
What this disc could have used is a scene alalysis by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, A.S.C., on his lighting sceme and look of the movie. You may recall the use of solid primary colors of the cars on the streets and the comic-book feel of the movie. It had a unique look and Storaro did a remarkable job. He had shot other movies for Beatty like "Reds", which also looked wonderful and (I think) got Storaro an Academy Award that year.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I watched the DICK TRACY DVD last evening on my widescreen rig; I thought the transfer was adequate, but I also feel that some of the reds look a little blotchy(especially on faces)and some of the scenes look darker than either the laser or the original theatrical release. Also, I think that the 1:33:1 framing on the laserdisc looked better than the slightly cramped widescreen on the DVD. This is the only time that I've preferred the framing of an academy ratio laserdisc to an anamorphic DVD. Still, the picture is good enough(especially if you don't have it on laser) and the 5.1 sound(DD) was terrific. Well worth the 13.99 I paid.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Whoah, sorry Dave...usually Hastings prices everything a couple of bucks higher than your bigger B&M stores, so this is kind of a first.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
This did not arrive at either Best Buy or Circuit City here today. I would have pre-ordered if BV had had the sense to advertise it as 16x9. Now I may or may not bother to get it. Buying a pig in a poke is not my idea of customer service.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I couldnt find it yesterday either. Not at BEst Buy, MEdia Play,Circuit City or Suncoast.

I am not happy

Amazing that the Bring It Ons and Scary Movies get a huge promo push and this great movie is released with no acknowledgement at all.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I remember reading somewhere (probably a post in this Forum)that Warren Beatty filmed DICK TRACY in a 1.33:1 (Academy?) ratio and wanted it shown that way at theaters, but the distributors or more likely the Studio said 'no way' and it was cropped to 1.85:1 or so to make it widescreen.

In fact, I just dug out the LD which is a 1.33:1 ratio.

On the back it states: 'DICK TRACY is presented in the aspect ratio in which the movie was originally filmed.'

As an aside, I remember Warren Beatty being on Dave Letterman at the time DICK TRACY was about to be released and he read off the TOP TEN list of things heard on the set of DICK TRACY. I forgot all of them but one: "Hey, where's the BATMOBILE?' Always got a chuckle out of that one. -Mike

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
You gotta wonder what's going on with this DVD. I tried Best Buy, Cirucit City, and a large local outlet yesterday and none had even heard of Dick Tracy. And on-line retailers like Digital Eyes, DeepDiscountDVD and DVD Empire all show it as "on order" from the manufacturer.

The Disney publicity department sure dropped the ball on this one. How do some of these incompetant people keep their jobs?

Deane

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Sadly enough, DVD Empire did show it in stock last night (4/2), but silly me, I decided to check out comments on it and now it is "on order." Looks like they just didn't ship out enough of these.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I found it at Fry's Tuesday morning and there were only 2 left. $14.99 was the price and I snagged one. Funny how it says nothing about an anamorphic transfer, just widescreen 1.85:1

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As others have mentioned, I got mine at Costco yesteday for $12.99...they seem to have all the BV releases for this week there at that price. Maybe they scooped 'em all up?

No trailer, but otherwise neat enough lookin' for the few minutes I put it in for last night. Nice DTS track!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My costco in Durham NC didn't have the BVHV titles. I wonder if they'll be coming in later. I may just grab them from DDD or Digital Eyes.

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
I tried all the big stores Tuesday and none of them had Dick Tracy or any of the new BV releases. I finally found one copy at another store. The transfer could have been more colorful, the LD I think looked better. The 5.1 sound was decent. Can anyone confirm if the rumors of an SE coming out are true?

Gary_E

Second Unit
The transfer could have been more colorful, the LD I think looked better
I think this is a well balanced color transfer, preserving the cartoon-like look without being garish.

The transfer shows details in the face make-up I never noticed before and I've watched my LD many times.

I got it from a local shop that sells used VHS tapes and new and used DVDs. He stocks many of the Canadian releases and this is one of those discs. I paid $15.00 for a disc with an impressive anamorphic transfer, DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks. Nice job Buena Vista, please do Ed Wood right.

I'm not really a big Madonna fan but man she looked good in this movie

-Gary

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
how is the dts 5.1 (acording to thedigitalbits.com there is a dts track) and the print.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
well i thought the dts sounded great. really brought the danny elfman score out.. the print was fine except for some lighting on the left side of the screen. on a few parts it was noticable. but overall i loved the disc.. can't wait to see if the rumors about the se are true.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Yea, I liked the disc a lot also. The colors looked great, and the DTS mix didn't sound too fake as some remixes do. I really, really, want a SE.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw a bunch of disney movies including three men and a baby and dick tracy at albersons.. its a food store.. I would check the stores.. it was 14.99 at my store. Hope this helps.. for the people still looking for it.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks