What's new

Diane Lane: Is she a household "STAR" yet? (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I loved DIANE LANE's amazing performance in "UNFAITHFUL" (especially the scene on the train
after her first tryst).

Do you think that this film has now finally made DIANE LANE a 'star'?

In my opinion, "A Walk On The Moon" should have made her a star as well.

After "A Walk On The Moon", "The Perfect Storm", "Hardball" and now "Unfaithful" (4 hits on
the row - not including "My Dog Skip" and "The Glass House")would you say that she is finally a
household name?

What do you think her Oscar chances are?

Thanks,

M.J.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I guess that something like this is open to personal opinion, but I would have thought that most people with a passing interest in films would know of her now surely?

I mean, "Perfect Storm" and "Unfaithful" were quite big. And IMHO her role in "Unfaithful" was very memorable regardless on your thoughts on the film itself.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Uh, no. Diana Lane is a very good actress, but not a star. A star can open films based solely on her name/marquee value. For actresses, that's Julia Roberts at the current time.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nope, no way Diane Lane is a "star" or "household name". Good actress, yep, and probably deserving of much more recognition, but she's probably only achieved That Guy (well, That Gal) status.

A star can open films based solely on her name/marquee value. For actresses, that's Julia Roberts at the current time.
And maybe Cameron Diaz.

I think Diane Lane is an extremely respected and highly regarded actress both within the industry and those who have seen her best performances. Unfortunately, being a household name has NOTHING to do with being a great actress. A female celeb could go out and get snapped with Tom Cruise and become a household name, but she wouldn't be anywhere near as respected as Diane Lane is. If I was a performer I'd love to be in Diane Lane's position. Respected, earning a real nice living ($$$$$'s), and yet at the same time able to live her own life. Cool.

I'm thrilled for her critical recognition in Unfaithful. It was a great performance. As for Oscar, well it's a long way off, but it's a possibility (IMH0).

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I don't know, I'd expect that most casual moviegoers know who Diane Lane is. She may not have star-power, but I think she's a household name.

Mark

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
After "A Walk On The Moon", "The Perfect Storm", "Hardball" and now "Unfaithful" (4 hits on the row - not including "My Dog Skip" and "The Glass House")
Lane had major roles in only two of these films, A Walk On the Moon and Unfaithful. A Walk On the Moon made just $4.741 million dollars and was budgeted at $14 million. I don't think that qualifies, although I recall the reviews being solid. Unfaithful was a hit, albeit a modest one compared to most films released in late spring/early summer. (Still, a look at domestic box office finds a $50 million budget and $52.07 million BO take.)

The Perfect Storm is easily the blockbuster in the group, but Lane wasn't exactly a big part of the movie or what people would remember from the film. Hardball was a modest hit, with a $21 million budget and $40.219 million gross, but it's a Keanu Reeves movie, not a Diane Lane movie. [I}The Glass House[/i] cost $22 million and grossed $17.951 million. Not a hit and not a film in which she was top billed. My Dog Skip cost $7 million and made $34.099 million, but Lane was secondary to Frankie Muniz and the dog.

So while you may consider these films hits (or Diane Lane films) as a fan, they certainly haven't made her a star. Unfaithful has been her best bet for a star-making vehicle, but at this point in her career, I think she's more likely to take the course of respected actress than box office draw, one of those performers general audiences may recognize but can't name. In the grand scheme of things, this may benefit her more. (Demi Moore was a star, but look where that's taken her the last few years.)

So I'd agree that film buffs are aware of her, but I don't think she's penetrated the culture enough to be considered a star.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
In my mind, Diane Lane's not at all a movie star.

She's something better:

She's a character actor.

I'm not knocking anyone's talents, but I'd take one William H. Macy, Diane Lane, Cathy Moriarty, Steve Buscemi, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Cary Elwes, John C. Reilly, William Fitchner (or the dearly-departed JT Walsh) over a half-dozen Tom Cruises.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think Mark Pfeiffer summed it up perfectly. No way is she a household name, as if you asked 100 people at the mall who Diane Lane is if they could picture her or name a single film she was in. I bet in a lineup of other role playing actresses people still wouldn't be able to pick her out.
I don't know Scott, I think Cruise is excellent so I wouldn't agree...but I know where you are coming from at least. ;)

Trevor Bateman

Stunt Coordinator
I find this an interesting debate. This is what I think as a fan of Diane Lane.

Arguments For:

1: "Unfaithful" has made Diane Lane as famous and popular as she has ever been. More so than in the early 80's when she was Coppola's favourite.

2: She has had ALOT of publicity lately. Big articles in big publications like "Time", "Entertainment Weekly", "Premiere", "Empire", "Movieline", "New York Times", "L.A. Times", "Esquire" etc etc. EVERY ONE of these articles ang her praises as a great actress, and ALL of the reviews for the film also sang her praises for her performance in it (even if they didn't like the film).

3: It was her face on much of the publicity for "Unfaithful". I think it is also fair to say that she had the 'lead' role of the adulterous in the film. She also had more screentime than Richard Gere as well. She got a lot of media and critical 'buzz' and 'carried the movie' very well I thought.

4: When "Unfaithful" first came out, my local Blockbuster Video Store had a whole display wall devoted to Diane Lane and her past films which means she has at least a sizable fanbase.

Arguments Against:

1: Now, would "Unfaithful" have been as popular ($53 million so far in US, over $85 million worldwide) if she didn't have a known male co-star (Richard Gere) and a known controversial director (Adrian Lyne - Fatal Attraction) along side her?

Answer: Probably not, as "Unfaithful" was marketed toward the older mostly female audience which is really Gere's
playground.

2: Would a film be a comercial 'hit' on Diane Lane's name alone?

Answer: Very doubtfall unless it was a really great movie which got alot of publicity. In my opnion ONLY Julia Roberts can 'open' a film on her name alone. NOT Cameron Diaz (The Sweetest Thing flopped), NOT Angelina Jolie (Life Or Something Like It flopped), NOT Sandra Bullock (Murder By Numbers flopped), and NOT Diane Lane either. However, she is about to get the chance to prove us wrong as she is to 'star' in the lead role of Disney's romantic comedy "Under The Tuscan Sun".
Read about it here: Unfaithful star to run to the Sun

6: Is she a 'household' name?

Answer: Nope. I think most who are interested in films would have heard the name and seen the face, but from what I've read in all the many recent articles on her and interviews with her - I get the impression that Diane Lane is not an actress who is driven by fame or stardom.

Lastly, I have to agree that she is very respected and probably earns more than you or I ever will. Especially when you see how hard it is to make it to any degree in Hollywood I think she's done very, very well for herself. And long may it continue, she is certainly enjoying a "high point" at the moment which is GREAT. Oscar nomination? Maybe.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
"The Perfect Storm", "Hardball" and now "Unfaithful" (4 hits on the row - not including "My Dog Skip" and "The Glass House")would you say that she is finally a
household name?
Didn't see it (no interest), didn't see it (ugh!), didn't see it (no interest), didn't see it (ditto), and you know what comes next.. :b

So, I would say no, and considering how little buzz there was about the movie, I'd say very little chance at an Oscar as well. With that said, since you seem to be very fond of her, best of luck to her.

Household name or not. She is a brilliant actress who I has given film fans some great performances.

She's a star in my book!

Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks