What's new

Dial "M" For Murder DVD???? (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Dee, here's the story on TOP BANANA.

After it was a smash hit on Broadway, the show went on tour for a year playing in major cities across the country. Phil Silvers and the cast finished their successful run at the Biltmore theater in downtown Los Angeles. During that engagement, Harry Popkin (D.O.A., AND THEN THERE WERE NONE) negotiated with producers Albert Zugsmith (TOUCH OF EVIL, THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN) and Ben Peskay to film TOP BANANA, exactly as it had been presented on stage in sold out performances across the country. They packed up the sets and costumes, and moved the entire company over to the Motion Picture Center Studios in Hollywood. That's where the film was photographed, and not on the theater stage which has been written over and over again for years.

The idea to film it in 3-D was in order to give the audience a choice seat at a top Broadway show. The producers envisioned this format as a new way to inexpensively film stage shows, and present them in theaters across the country. They even developed a rather complicated tracking shot for the opening of the film. The camera would be the person approaching the theater. They would go to the box office and buy their tickets, enter the lobby and proceed down to their seat in the 3rd row, center stage. The lights would dim, the overture would play and the show would begin. (This elaborate opening was abandoned in favor of a static shot of the theater marquee, which then dissolves directly into the stage show.) It was photographed with Natural Vision cameras, the same rigs that filmed BWANA DEVIL, HOUSE OF WAX, FORT TI, CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER, DEVIL'S CANYON, THE MOONLIGHTER, SOUTHWEST PASSAGE and GOG.

The film was in post-production in September 1953 just as THE ROBE and CinemaScope hit theaters, and 3-D was starting to decline at the box office. While shopping the property around for a distributor (the film was independently financed) the producers announced they would release TOP BANANA flat only, citing the publics lukewarm response to the current 3-D releases. In early December, they signed a distribution deal with United Artists. Later that month, the success of some new 3-D releases (KISS ME KATE, HONDO, CEASE FIRE and MISS SADIE THOMPSON) prompted UA to announce in the trades that a 3-D version would be available for exhibitors.

Unfortunately, that is the last reference to any release of the stereoscopic version of this film. When it was sneak previewed, shown to the trades and released in February 1954, it was shown flat only. Despite UA's claim, there is no concrete documentation that the camera negatives were ever edited for a 3-D release.

The film was photographed in Eastman color, and processed by the Color Corporation of America laboratory (formerly SuperCinecolor/Cinecolor) in Burbank. The lab went out of business the following year. Apparently, all of the original elements were junked at that time. (The negatives were probably labeled under the production company name, Roadshow Productions.)

Sadly, the only material in the United Artists archive today is an edited 35mm release print of one side. That is the version which has been released on home video, and it's missing about 15 minutes of footage. There are no negatives, color separations, interpositives, dupe negatives, nothing. (The "lost" footage does survive in an uncut 16mm Kodachrome print struck in 1954. It was offered to the studio when they were planning the home video release, but they weren't interested. So much for archival consideration.)

I made a very interesting discovery just a few months ago. An original 35mm trailer was located by Jeff Joseph at SabuCat Productions. On close examination, I found that certain shots in the trailer were from the opposite eye of the surviving 35mm print! Dan Symmes at Dimension 3 was able to recombine these previously unseen left/right 3-D images from TOP BANANA into anaglyph, and he has a few of them on his website. If you have a pair of red/blue glasses, you can view these shots in 3-D at www.d3.com/lost.html (Be sure to put the red lens over your right eye.) The same page contains scenes from Warner Bros. THE BOUNTY HUNTER, another "lost" 3-D film.

I hope I haven't bored you with all these details. I've been reading wrong information for years about this film, and it's nice to finally set the record straight!

Bob

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks gents, and I'm pleased to say that it's all from documented source materials. Nothing was cut and pasted or copied from a book. I found a long time ago that it's always best to do original research when you want to get the facts straight.

I can't tell you how many people have written that TOP BANANA was photographed on the stage of the Winter Garden Theater in New York. I think even the UA video box makes that claim. (I guess those audience cut-away shots in the film are convincing!)

I was also appalled that the studio had no interest whatsoever in restoring the missing footage to their new video master. Then again, this is the same organization that purchased a 35mm trailer for one of their early fifties Cinecolor titles. They asked the seller to transfer it in black and white. When he asked why, they said that the video master was from a black and white element and they didn't want the DVD to include the trailer in color.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Amazon.com has an email option to be notified when the disc is available.
Thanks,
Tim

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I thought I would ressurrect this thread as we still have heard nothing about its release. Anyone got any goods from the grapevine?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
DIAL M FOR MURDER will be presented in polarized dual-projection 3-D at the 3 DAYS OF 3-D film festival, February 27-28-29, 2004 at the Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY. Come and see it the way it was intended!

More info: 3 DAYS OF 3-D website

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
A cinema in Wellington just had a two-week season showing Dial M For Murder and House of Wax in 3D. Very cool experience, and I thoroushly enjoyed it.

I would love a 3D release. Hitchcock wasn't too show-off-y about the use of 3D, with only the one scene (Grace Kelly's hand reaching for the scissors) that really did the 3D effect shot. But I liked the way we used the 3D, not to throw things at the audience, but just to bring objects into prominence. Terribly effective.

But, given the fact that a 3D release wouldn't happen, a 2D would be okay.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Peter, I may have to think up an excuse to get down to Suffern. I would love to see Dial M in 3D. And Robot Monster :eek: that should be a fun crowd!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
What better excuse than to experience the "magic" of Robot Monster in real 3-D?!

Trust me, the terrible anaglyph (red/blue) versions on video do not even come close to replicating the original stereo photography. For a film in production less than a week, they did a great job!

Do make the effort - you won't be disappointed.

Bob

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I agree Bob. I was shocked to see how good the *original* polarized 3-D version of ROBOT MONSTER was. I'd say it had better 3-D than many of the more major films we saw at the World 3-D Expo.

Who knew?

Alert! All Ro-Men must report to the screening......

Hitch fans should too.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Re "pay through the nose"

I for one would gladly pay through the nose for proper 3D DVD presentations of Dial M, the Creature films, Kiss Me Kate and even Robot Monster. :b Probably not Bwana Devil, though. Even I have my limits.

Sean~R

Auditioning
I just saw "Dial M For Murder" at the Film Forum in New York City, presented in its original double-system NaturalVision form: two projectors synchronized to give maximum brightness, color and depth. This was the first time I have seen this film, and I am glad I waited for this!

The level of depth is absolutely phenomenal in 3-D, though there is only one real "coming out of the screen" moment.

Highly recommended viewing, especially for those who haven't seen the film at all. Will be showing there through this Thursday.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The 3D presentation of Dial M was a revelation. I can't count how many times I've seen the film, but this was like seeing a new movie. Just one example: I don't think I'd ever realized how prominently Margo's handbag is featured throughout the first "act", but in 3D you're aware of it sitting in the foreground in shot after shot while critical (I was about to say "key") conversations play out behind it.

There are apparently only a few theaters in America equipped to present this dual-projection format; so it's well worth it for anyone who can make it to Film Forum.

M.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The 3D presentation of Dial M was a revelation. I can't count how many times I've seen the film, but this was like seeing a new movie. Just one example: I don't think I'd ever realized how prominently Margo's handbag is featured throughout the first "act", but in 3D you're aware of it sitting in the foreground in shot after shot while critical (I was about to say "key") conversations play out behind it.
This was what was great about Dial M. Hitchcock knew how to use 3D, not as a gimmick, but as a means of increasing tension. The only coming-out-of-the-screen moment was perfectly chosen, and the rest of the film just used 3D to highlight important pot ents in the story.

Contrast that with House Of Wax, which I also saw recently in a local cinemas 3D series, where there were scenes that existed solely for an excuse to throw things at the screen (the guy on the sidewalk with the bat and ball comes to mind). While this was a really enjoyable film, it didn't really have the mature use of the technique that I liked in Dial M.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There are apparently only a few theaters in America equipped to present this dual-projection format;
Anyone who can't make it to the Film Forum for Dial M (or who wish a larger-than-life experience), should try to make it to my 3-D festival at the end of February at the 1000-seat Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY. 3 DAYS OF 3-D

I'm glad to see that people are finally understanding what many of us have been saying about seeing 3-D films in their intended format.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Is there any chance that it will come out on dvd in 3d and normal mode? Can it work on a normal system at home?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It is possible but unlikely.

If you read the entire thread from the beginning, you'll find details and answers to frequently asked questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks