3D Blu-ray Review Dial M for Murder 3D Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Absolutely. And anything else the studios will please be so good as to announce. I'll support every damn one of 'em.

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    It's a very common thing in disc authoring for all the major studios. Japan hates having anything but English and Japanese on their menus, so when you load a disc with JP assets with JP player settings you get the Japanese-only menus,

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I play with the 'disc menu language' setting on the player all the time, but this is the first time it's affected the actual movie. On this disc, if you have your player set to display disc menus in Japanese (where available of course, those that don't have a Japanese menu will default to English) the movie will give you the choice of English or Japanese audio and subtitles (and no others). If the menu is set to any other language, you don't get Japanese on the movie but you get a whole bunch of other languages- the Japanese track isn't there. Since I'm obsessive, I'll end up watching this in every available language. :)

4. JamesNelson

JamesNelson Second Unit

Cool. Whenever I'm feeling nostalgic for the old field-sequential VHD version, I can just enable the Japanese subtitles on the BD. :D

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I actually have a VHD player but no 3D discs. Field sequential doesn't work on my LCD TV anyways :(

6. JamesNelson

JamesNelson Second Unit

I'm not sure if it's been pointed out yet, but the Blu-ray appears to be 1.75:1, not 1.85:1.

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    It's going to be hard to gauge Creature in the U.S. since it was only one of several discs in a box set. Maybe they can look at the numbers from the U.K. individual disc sales.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    It's 1.78:1, just like every other Warner release with an OAR of 1.85:1.

9. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Yes, the difference is miniscule and they do it because of overscan - with overscan the image is almost always right at 1.85

10. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Supporting Actor

A curious choice in an era in which overscan is becoming less and less common. :huh:

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Similar to why they're still window-boxing the title sequences on some Academy Ratio films coming out on BD.

12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    The majority of people in this country at least do not have projection set-ups, they have TVs with overscan.

13. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Supporting Actor

I may be wrong, but I think most of the installed-base of Blu-ray-viewing TVs today is one-to-one mapped digital panel sets with at least the option to defeat overscan, if not no option to turn it on.

14. JamesNelson

JamesNelson Second Unit

I'm thinking they do it to fill 16:9 displays completely, and to keep from having to field questions and complaints about tiny black bars at the top and bottom of 1.85:1 titles.
    And overscan doesn't really turn a 1.78:1 transfer into a 1.85:1 image. It turns a 1.78:1 transfer into an overscanned 1.78:1 image. ;)

15. FilmBuff

FilmBuff Auditioning

Agreed.
    It gave me a headache.

16. Cineman

Cineman Stunt Coordinator

David B.
    I was relieved to see that with the proper 1.85:1 framing (or 1.78:1 for the Blu-ray?) we no longer get an unintentional peek of the scissors effect device pre-set on actor Anthony Dawson's back when he is hunched over Grace Kelly at the desk right before she finds a new home for the blade. That was always a problem, among others, with the open matte version. You couldn't help notice a shiny object of some kind poking up from his back at the top of the frame before she can get the scissors there. Obviously a device of some kind is spring loaded and ready to create the stabbing effect.
    Unless there was some digital masking involved in the production of the Blu-ray or I'm mistaken about one or two theatrical presentations of it in the distant past, that tell-tale giveaway was something I've seen in every theatrical, television and home video version of DMFM I've ever seen. And I've seen theatrical presentations of it in 3-D at the Tiffany Theater in Los Angeles decades ago and a few years ago at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, Ca. at one of their 3-D festivals. I'm not as certain about those theatrical presentations, but I know it can be seen on the earlier open matte standard DVD. No sign of it on this Blu-ray though, thank goodness.

17. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

An excellent observation.
    Thank you, David!

18. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

Where you expecting this to look like those two films?

19. Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt Stunt Coordinator

Jon Lidolt
    I read about this years ago, not quite sure where: maybe it was the American Cinematographer... I don't remember. Apparently DeLuxe labs didn't change the chemicals as often as they should have, nor washed the chemicals off properly after processing. I remember as a kid that by the time the DeLuxe color movies arrived at our small town theatre, the pictures always had a brownish tint. Even the other kids at the matinees would comment on this, especially if the main feature or the trailers were in blazingly bright Technicolor.

20. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

The 35mm WarnerColor prints that I've encountered over the past 30 years have been horribly faded.