What's new

Dexter Season 8 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Rather than extend the Dexter Season 7 thread, preview trailers of a sort are now starting to come out, playing this up as the finale season.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well we definitely got off to a very different kind of start for Season 8... Deb's storyline is very different from what I expected but I enjoyed it a lot. This could be a really interesting run to the finale.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I was on board with the neurologist lady until the reveal that she apparently knows exactly who Dexter is and what he does. Was looking forward to a battle of wits, but it looks like she's up to something else (perhaps working with Dexter)? Just seems like we've been down this road before...more than once.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
What a disappointing start to this final season. The worst part is a continuation of all the problems of the last few seasons- everything is way too 'on the nose'. Giving Dexter a mother figure could be interesting. Making it so blatant that that's what they're doing is not. Just like the religious themes in the last season, which if done right, could have been okay as well.

And then the voiceovers... they were interesting and clever in the first few seasons. Now it's just Dexter repeating information we already know.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah it's been pretty ho-hum.

I can't get it out of my head though that the doctor lady is actually the killer. Either that, or she's just a really bad actor. She was acting very strange when someone supposedly broke into her house...as if she staged the entire thing. "OH! This DVD isn't mine!"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think he prediction above in regards to the good doctor is dead on. Debra's breakdown was some wild stuff

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
mattCR said:
I think he prediction above in regards to the good doctor is dead on. Debra's breakdown was some wild stuff
I made the prediction, but I have my doubts now after we saw the doctor's reaction to receiving that text and those boxes of brain parts when no one else was around. Not sure how they could explain that. She does seem to be up to something though.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This season is certainly going to be turbulent. I did not expect the car ride with Deb and Dexter to go that way, but what a moment.. looking back on it I should have expected, but it was just so immediate.

This season is really focused a lot on Deb's redemption and her coming to terms.. it's interesting.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Have to say, not really interested in the Deb stuff. And pulling the car off the road with both of them in it? Didn't really make much sense. Certainly there are better ways to go about offing herself and Dexter. Seems to me the writers just wanted a convenient way for Deb to save Dexter.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Based on the number of posts in this thread it seems most people are about as into this season as I am. Just "meh" especially for a final season.

One interesting observation that I can't take credit for picking up on - the same song (by Mama's & The Papa's) is playing when Sussman is forced to kill that guy as when Vogel is sitting in her house listening to music. Seems too much to be a coincidence.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Good catch on the song. When it started playing it seemed completely out of place to me. It seemed so specific when a more generic music could've been used if they were just trying to show her relaxing at home.

'Dexter' always comes off as a slow boil for me. While the Deb story may be background noise, I'm fairly certain her... transformation is going to be key to the finale.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Jeez...they seem to be going out of there way to do everything wrong in the finale season. Hannah? Really?

On a side note, that Deb sure has some strong hands to be able to twist open a Shock Top!

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
The Hannah plot wasn't the worst ever, but it wasn't my favorite, and I was glad when it was done. Bringing her back is not appealing to me. I am hoping they go somewhere interesting with this.

Joe S

Second Unit
There's that song again in "Are We There Yet?" You can even see a picture of Mama Cass on the IPod that is playing.

Gee, the plot seems to be going in one direction, then they throw it totally out of whack with your expectations. Four more episodes left, I guess.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
At this point, Vogel is so obviously the Brain Surgeon that it would only be more ludicrous if she wasn't. We see what looks like Dexter taking her down with a neck-injection in the scenes for next week. And if it's not Vogel, it'll be yet another student/past patient following her "tutoring."

If that's the case, it'll be someone we haven't met yet, which is just sloppy storytelling, this late in the game.

I actually kinda enjoyed this one. It had forward momentum, raised the stakes, and had precious little on the Masuka/Quinn-fronts.

The kid existed to distract from the Brain Surgeon, so his/her return would be a surprise. It worked on me, at any rate.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I would be bailing on this show if it wasn't so close to the end and I wasn't so heavily invested in the characters.

It sure seems like they're paving the way for a "Dexter and Hannah ride into the sunset" series finale...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
At this point, Vogel is so obviously the Brain Surgeon that it would only be more ludicrous if she wasn't. We see what looks like Dexter taking her down with a neck-injection in the scenes for next week. And if it's not Vogel, it'll be yet another student/past patient following her "tutoring."

If that's the case, it'll be someone we haven't met yet, which is just sloppy storytelling, this late in the game.
There is one other person that's been introduced who could be the brain surgeon. Actually, there are 2 new people in the cast (besides Vogel). :D

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Who are the 2 new people you are thinking of? Masuka's daughter and Elway? They are both unlikely possibilities, though I do believe there has to be more going on with Masuka's daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks