Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

I thought it was pretty clear Dexter set out to kill Quinn without question.

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Yeah, I think Dexter was going to kill Quinn, Dexter had his kill outfit on and not to mention the tranquilizer, he isn't going to subdue Quinn just to let him go.

I think the show has really come on the last 4-5 weeks and like what they are doing.

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Meh...finale was kind of a let down.

Everything tied up a little too neatly if you ask me. And it was really lame that they would have Deb go out on her own to check that lead with the fruit vendor. And that she would never call for backup, as soon as she saw the name of the camp...or Jordan's car...or the car that Dexter crashed. And speaking of which, wouldn't Dexter's DNA be all over that car? I realize that was all done to have Deb be alone with the "vigilantes", but it just came off as weak lazy writing.

4. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I think some things wrapped up very neatly.. but I also think each season they leave a lot of threads hanging, because eventually the noose has to come down on Dexter - he either completely gets out or gets caught. If next season is the last, as some contend, then a lot of these hanging threads could come back and be remembered. His DNA all over which car, the one he wrecked? Deb wasn't looking for a wrecked car, and they would have had time to easily move that farther away. Broken glass on an abandoned dirt road at a camp wouldn't be all that telling either.

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

Him and Lumen move a completely wrecked car flipped over on it's roof?

Deb wasn't looking for a wrecked car, but I think it is something that would be a red flag once she saw it. I guess you could argue she didn't see it since it was obviously off the main road.

6. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I loved the season (despite a few missteps). I loved Lumen. The breakup was heartbreaking, but expected.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I hesitate to weigh in, because, on the subject of Dexter, I'm always in left field, but here goes.

For me, this was the very opposite of "lazy writing". This was thoughtful, well-planned, character-based writing of the kind I missed last season. With respect to Deb's actions going it alone: First of all, her partner was unavailable. On the initial call, all she was doing was checking out a sighting. Going alone, under those odd circumstances, isn't a stretch.

Second, the whole pursuit of Chase was being done "on the down low". They had insufficient evidence to charge him with a crime and no warrant. They had to keep cooking up excuses to go looking for him, and they were all painfully aware that they were on thin legal ground and dealing with someone who had the means to challenge them. Raising the profile of their hunt for Chase, especially with that jackass captain in the building, would be the last thing they wanted to do.

But third -- and this is really the key -- I think Deb wanted to be alone, especially when it appeared that she might have found Chase. All of that time watching the DVDs thinking about Chase behind the camera, that exchange with Dexter where she says that some people deserve to die, her flashbacks to being held captive by the Icetruck Killer -- everything suggests that she was fighting a battle inside herself about what she should do with Chase if she found him. It wasn't so much a matter of being alone with the vigilantes as of identifying with them. I think she seriously considered becoming one herself. She may even have been relieved when she saw Chase's body and knew that the job had been done for her.

Re: Dexter's DNA in the car wreck. We don't know how much Dexter and Lumen have already done when Deb arrives, and we don't see the rest of the clean-up. It's inconceivable that someone with Dexter's experience and expertise would not have taken some sort of steps to cleanse the wreck, even though we don't see it. Then again, the police already know who killed the Barrel Girls from DNA in the barrels. The site will be IDed from the DVDs, and it may never even be processed for DNA. And if it's Dexter doing the forensics (as with Quinn's boot), it may not matter.

The real loose ends, IMO? Quinn and Dexter.

8. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

I'll give you the third point. Still not buying the first 2 points though. Particularly her partner not being available. Angel would have been perfect for that call anyway since I would assume it was known the fruit guy only spoke Spanish since he called it in.

I didn't think the Quinn and Dexter thing seemed like a loose end at all. Seems Dexter did what he had to do knowing how suspicious Quinn has always been of him and perhaps even did it for Deb. But I suppose that whole deal could always be revisited.

I enjoyed the season for the most part. I'd probably rank it as my least favorite 'Dexter' season though. It didn't really pick up for me until the Jordan Chase character was introduced, and there were some great episodes leading up to the finale.

9. Mikah Cerucco

10. Mikah Cerucco

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
  12. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I'd say it's about even with having to work with your ex-wife... :)

13. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    If memory serves, isn't this failed marriage #2 for Mr. Hall...both of which he met on set?

Note to Michael C. Hall...don't marry a girl you meet on the set of your TV show...

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Yet another show I discovered on Netflix. I think part of Dexter's appeal is his Outsider status--like Mr. Spock and Richard Kimball, he doesn't belong with the rest of us. Many people have felt like an outsider at some point in their lives. In the first season, Dexter wanted to think he was with Rita just to appear normal, but in the scene where Lowen said she had to leave, Michael Hall brilliantly conveyed Dexter's crushing loneliness.

15. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    HTF is will have the opportunity to talk with Kevin Roache and Pete Elias both Emmy nominated sound mixers.

Submitting a question is your chance to win a copy of Dexter season 5 on Blu-ray. We will be choosing one member who asked a question at random to win, Good Luck!

Kevin has worked on multiple shows including Dexter (Emmy nominated), Eastbound & Down, True Blood, Ugly Betty, Monk, Fairly Legal, and many more.

Pete has worked on multiple shows including True Blood, In Plain Sight, The Killing, Fairly Legal, Dexter, Grey's Anatomy, Party Down, Kyle XY and many more.

Do you have any questions about sound design or mixing for TV and the eventual DVD and Blu-ray releases? Post them here and we will try to get them answered!