What's new

Deus ex machina? (1 Viewer)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Jim, I think the problem with the T-Rex appearing isn't that he's there, but that you never see/hear/feel him coming.

BTW, I doubt anyone cares, but the episode of Voyager where Janeway utters the phrase is Worst Case Scenario...

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to nit-pick, but I wanted to point out the typo in Chris' excellent first post: he typed "god form the machine" where he meant to type "god from the machine."

Just didn't want anyone confused.

--K

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Ok, so I was wrong with the ending of Signs, but this one is sure-fire...

In Monty Python and the Holy Grail when the group is running from the cave monster and manages to escape only because...

the animator has a heart attack and keels over.
:D

David Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry again Greg, I think the techincal term for the one in Holy Grail is "A Joke."

Just bugging ya!

Dave

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
But had it not been a joke then Greg's example would have been perfect, just like the joke near the end which I mentioned earlier (which actually isn't played as a joke, only the police are).

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to dig up an old thread but, in the T2 commentary James Cameron talks about this. He mentioned that he thinks the only part of the movie that is a DEM is when the radio controlled truck hits Dyson's leg, just as Sara is about to murder him.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The citing of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park as a deus ex machina makes me remember the ending to Jurassic Park 3, which had a big DEM ending.
All of a sudden, the army turns up and attacks the island and rescues the survivors.

Supposedly set up by Grant's phone call to Ellie, but all Grant did was say "I'm on the island". Plus, would one paleobotanist be able to convince the army to send such a force? And surely there was nowhere near enough time for her to get to Costa Rica and out to the island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks