What's new

Determining changes in Parameter Settings for Yamaha RX-V800? (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I have had my Yamaha RX-V800 for about 10 years and I have yet to figure ou how to optimize the Parameter Settings for any particular input source. I tried today with the Movie Theater inputs (the ones I am most interested in setting) , but as usual, I drove myself a bit daffy trying to "hear" the differences as I manipulated the individual parameters. Also, I really didn't think I understood what I was doing. Perhaps if I give you an idea about the room's characteristics and my seating postion, you may be able to give me some clues on how to approach my lingering 10-year problem. BTW, if I am in the wrong place to ask this question, please direct me to the right one(s).

I sit about 10-12' from the three front spkrs and about 5.5' from the rears on either side of me. There is a plasterboard wall right behind me and the front spkrs are built into an entertainment center; it's about 13' from the face of the entertainment center to the wall behind me. About 7' to my left is a wall that is mostly sliding glass door, and to my right it is essentially open leading to the dinning room and foyer areas...in other words, no immediate wall to my right. The ceiling is high, thw floor is tile, and about the only thing that would absorb sound would be the 12' cloth sofa I sit on.

The movie parameters are: P Init Delay, Room Size, S. Delay, S.init Delay, S. Room Size. See page 61-63 in the User manual for details (http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yamaha_audio/av_receivers/rx-v800).

Certainly, if someone could give me some starting paramters and what to look for in the way of sound differences that would be great. But, if I also got some reasoning why these changes are made, that would be the best as this would enable me to rationally make changes...if needed.

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I don't really think the DSP characteristics are intended to be technical room correction settings. They're mostly to be used if you want to re-create a specific sound theater or environment and are therefore set according to people's personal preferences.

I know you can go crazy playing and adjusting. The problem is the ear is forgetful. Let's say you change a setting then move on to another one, well by time you go back to the original you most likely have already lost your frame of reference. I definitely wouldn't stress too much about getting these "perfect" unless you are going for a specific sound, or there is something that doesn't sound right in your system to begin with (too much echo, sounds dead and not very spacious). Remember the ear is still the best judge and they should be set according to what sounds good to you. I look at them more as fun and an added bonus if you want to mess around and make it sound like you're in a big room, small room, ect. Sorry if that wasn't much help but as far as a quick description of each.

PIntDelay: difference btw the actual sound source and reflected sound. Note that this is in msec so it is a time based setting. The longer the time, the further it will make it sound like you are away from the (stage, screen, ect.) so are you in the front row of the theater or near the back. This again isn't intended to correct for your room but instead make it sound like a different room of your choice (know what I mean?)

Room Size: creates a virtual room. There are no technical units for this setting just ratios. a change from 1 to 2 doubles the apparent size of the room. This means if you want your system to sound like it is in a very small room (reducing the time btw reflections) set it very low. However if you want there to be significant time delay between reflections (Large room) set it high. Again this setting isn't taking in any actual data from your room it's simply just simulating what you are telling it to do.

I can go on if you want, but maybe this will helped explain the intent of the DSP processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks