Detective shows from the UK

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by WaveCrest, Nov 2, 2011.

1. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I have the Sweeney on my list when i have the budget dollars. There are few other shows i like to get as well, but it will depend on money.

2. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    The second series of DCI Banks (without Andrea Lowe this time) looks like it's going to be shown early next year on ITV1, as the DVD set is being released early next year (subject to change) (source: Amazon UK).

Read in a TV listings magazine recently that David Tennant is going to be playing a detective in a new ITV1 drama series called Broadchurch.

3. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard

Doug, are the Netherlands DVD releases of Dalziel and Pascoe legit, genuine DVD sets? The UK releases from 2entertain stopped after the second series, and I'm not sure if the US sets are just Region 1 releases.

Have posted about some new series which have recently aired in the UK, and new and returning series which are likely airing in the autumn.

4. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard

Simon, have you read anything about when the third and (and likely, last) series of Luther is going to be airing on BBC One?

5. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Front cover artwork for tomorrow's Region 2 release of Case Sensitive (the two-part stories "The Point of Rescue" (the pilot episode) and new story "The Other Half Lives" (source: Play.com):

[​IMG]

Front cover artwork for Good Cop (source: Play.com):

[​IMG]

6. Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch Second Unit

Richard those Region Two Netherlands DVD releases of Dalziel and Pascoe are completely legit. All shows are unedited and in English. The only drawback is that you can't read any of the writing on the DVD Boxes as it is written in Dutch. Keep on reporting on these Detective shows; I can't get enough of them. Your recommendation of Thorne was the best yet!

7. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Last I heard Luther was going to be out this Autumn for S3 and apparently they are also looking at doing a film sometimes in the future - who knows ?
    I expect this will replace Spooks in the BBC autumn line up

8. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Sadly, Case Sensitive has been cancelled by ITV, following disappointing ratings for "The Other Half Lives", the follow-up story to the pilot episode (read about this in a TV listings magazine and on Digital Spy)

Good Cop and A Touch of Cloth will be starting on the BBC and Sky respectively, in the next 2-3 weeks.

9. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    The detective show parody series A Touch of Cloth starts next Sunday night on Sky 1, and concludes the following night. Good Cop begins on BBC One next Thursday night.

The new ninth series of New Tricks begins on BBC One next Monday night (ten episodes in the ninth series). It is also being released on DVD on Monday 5th November, and on Blu-ray on Monday 26th November (source: Amazon UK).

10. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    The new, ninth series of New Tricks has been more of the same - good stories and mysteries with quality, reliable acting. Only strange thing has been, that the teaser - which has I think been at the start of nearly every episode since the show began, has gone, and instead the title sequence is shown straight away.

Been watching the third series Region 2 set of Bergerac lately. Without giving too much away, for those who might be interested in getting a season set or the complete set of Bergerac, the detective has a nemesis (McGarrett has his nemesis (Wo Fat) and Bergerac has his own nemesis, who debuts in the third season and appears every now and then for the next few seasons of the series).

11. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Read in a TV listings magazine recently that there will be three new Case Histories episodes being made (starring Jason Isaacs), which will be shown next year.

12. Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch Second Unit

Excellent News - I really liked that show!

13. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Update on the second series of DCI Banks. The second series started in the UK on ITV1 this past Wednesday night, with the first of a two-part story called "Strange Affair". The actress Caroline Catz has joined the cast (she starred on the series Murder in Suburbia a few years ago). There are two more two-part stories in the second series of DCI Banks, "Dry Bones That Dream" and "Innocent Graves".

The second series DVD set has a UK release date of Monday 19th November (source: Amazon UK).

14. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    The detective series Falcon (yes, it's set in Spain, but judging by the trailers shown on Sky, it's not a foreign language detective series), premieres in the UK on Sky Atlantic a week tomorrow (15th November) with the first part of a two-part opening story called "The Blind Man of Seville". There are four installments in this series.

Both this and the following two-part story are being released on DVD by ITV Studios Home Entertainment on Monday 10th December (source: Amazon UK).

15. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    The Region 2 UK release of the second series of Case Histories is being released on Monday 25th March by ITV Studios Home Entertainment (source: Amazon UK, and title and it's release date is subject to change), so the assumption is that it will start soon on BBC One. A few weeks ago I found on Amazon UK a listing for a Blu-ray release of the first series (including the two-part pilot) of DCI Banks. It's had a Blu-ray release in Sweden. A new detective series starting soon in the UK is Jack Taylor (a 'Collection One' set is being released on DVD by Acorn Media UK on Monday 4th March, and title and it's release date is subject to change), starring Iain Glen (who, among many TV and film credits, guest starred in one of the best episodes of Law & Order: UK, a James Steel-centred episode). There will be three episodes in the Jack Taylor: Collection One R2 set (the BBFC passed the set earlier this month). Finally, a detective series called Shetland, starring Douglas Henshall, is supposed to be airing in the UK in the next few months.

16. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Love dci banks for as much praise as Dowton gets, to me Sherlock is the most exceptional work on tv right now. Brilliant format scripting and acting.

17. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Currently airing on BBC One on Sunday nights is a detective drama called What Remains (four episodes in total), about a dead body and the residents of a house of apartments. This is being released on DVD in the UK on Monday 7th October.Law & Order: UK's seventh season (technically the fourth produced series?) finished on ITV1 a few weeks ago. It's being released on DVD in the UK on Monday 7th October (source of the above release dates is Amazon UK).

Starting soon is a drama series starring Gabriel Byrne called Quirke.

18. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    A third series of DCI Banks finished this week on ITV (three two-part stories in the third series). An eighth series of Law & Order: UK started tonight on ITV (the fifth produced series?). There could be eight episodes in this season (compared to six episodes in the seventh series). And following the two-part pilot last year, a series of Shetland started on BBC One last night (three two-part stories in this series).

19. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Whatever happened to Law & Order: UK? There's another season (called "Series 5&6" in UK) and a half that's been issued. Why nothing here? The UK version is well done.

20. moviepas

moviepas Second Unit

Not sure which subject to put it under but Network Video in UK sent me a e-mail today that stated they have signed another 10 year contract with ITV for more delving into the archive of countless surviving TV shows that have not seen the light of day since their broadcast. Some will be complete, others surviving episodes, some no longer in color and so forth. At least they have not given up and I guess it includes feature films. They have done little or nothing with film studio shorts and I am sure some good ones still survive.