What's new

"Desperately" seeking comments: ViewSonic P225F (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Howdy, guys:
My "old" (a little over four years), low-fi, .39 mm dot pitch 17" AST monitor has died. I'm looking to make a significant upgrade to a 21" or 22" monitor. I don't do heavy gaming (yet?), but spend a lot of time online doing word processing and a lot of 'Net reading. I have an AMD Athlon K7-based PC and an ATI Rage 32mg video card. I'm considering upgrading the vid card to an Nvidia GeForce2 or 3. I'm not an HTPC hound, but will be upgrading to DVD-ROM at the same time as the new monitor purchase because my DVD player also recently died (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=44033).
An electrical engineer friend of mine--who built the PC in question--has recommended ViewSonic. He has their P90 unit and is happy with it. I don't have any preference regarding shadow mask versus aperture grill designs (should I?). Even if I begin watching a lot of DVDs on my PC, I don't predict that sometimes being able to see the two wires that support the aperture grill in Trinitron(r) designs would bother me greatly. Space for the monitor is also not a major consideration. So, since I like the increased flexibility (read: variable display area) of CRTs and their lower cost relative to LCDs, I've decided to go the CRT route.
After some research, I've focused on ViewSonic's P225F (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_p225f.htm). What do ya'll think of ViewSonic in general and this model in particular?
Cheers,
Paul

Drew Wimmer

Stunt Coordinator
first, flat-screen are much better than shadow-mask, as the image on a flat-screen/true-flat/any number of brand names/etc. has a constant or near constant dot-pitch (spacing between the pixels, smaller is better) so eye-fatigue occurs more slowly, aside from the fact that the image is a whole lot cleaner with a flat-screen
if you're really gonna spend a whole lot of time in fron of your pc and your eyes bother you after a while, consider and LCD, they're a lot less stressful to look at (albeit more expensive for the same screen size), something about not firing an electron cannon at your eyes ;)
that said, if you're gonna stick with CRT's i'd recommend spending a bit more $$ and picking up the Mitsubishi DiamondPro 2060u NF, excellent monitor for the money, probably the best 22" monitor available
certainly not to say that viewsonic doesn't maka good product, i've got one of their pf775's right now and have been very pleased with it, but when you're already spending that much money, you might as well get the best available, or that's how i see it anyway :)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
first, flat-screen are much better than shadow-mask, as the image on a flat-screen/true-flat/any number of brand names/etc. has a constant or near constant dot-pitch (spacing between the pixels, smaller is better) so eye-fatigue occurs more slowly, aside from the fact that the image is a whole lot cleaner with a flat-screen
if you're really gonna spend a whole lot of time in fron of your pc and your eyes bother you after a while, consider and LCD, they're a lot less stressful to look at (albeit more expensive for the same screen size), something about not firing an electron cannon at your eyes
that said, if you're gonna stick with CRT's i'd recommend spending a bit more $$ and picking up the Mitsubishi DiamondPro 2060u NF, excellent monitor for the money, probably the best 22" monitor available
certainly not to say that viewsonic doesn't maka good product, i've got one of their pf775's right now and have been very pleased with it, but when you're already spending that much money, you might as well get the best available, or that's how i see it anyway
Good lord man, put a period in there somewhere! I'm out of breath! ;)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Drew:
I'm confused by the first part of what you say below:
I understand the latter part about the importance of "constant or near constant dot-pitch." However, in the first part of your comments above, you seem to intimate that flat screen monitors and shadow mask designs are mutually-exclusive.
It's my understanding that aperture grills and shadow masks are two different approaches to CRT design, but that there can be flat and non-flat versions of both/either.
Although a quick additional look at ViewSonic's P Series line at their Website reveals that seemingly all of their flat screen monitors are indeed aperture grill designs, is that always the case? In other words, are all flat screen CRTs aperture grill designs? It seems not to me. For instance, here at work I'm sitting in front of a Dell D1025HT Trinitron that is not a true flat screen.
Or is this just an example of all flat screens being aperture grills but not all aperture grills being flat screens?
Here's where I got most of my information about this subject: http://www4.tomshardware.com/display...28/crt-01.html
Also, how much does the Mitubishi monitor you mention cost? I'm finding the ViewSonic P225F for between $700 and $850.
Paul

Marc-Andre

Auditioning
Shadow Mask and Aperture Grill are the 2 tecnologies used in CRT displays, and yes, both can be curved or flat. (Samsung DF or IFT lines are flat Shadow Masks) Generally speaking, AG will have better color saturation, while SM will be crisper.

If you get an AG monitor, you should know that 2 companies make the tubes: Sony (Trinitron tubes) and Mitsubishi (Diamondtron tube). For example, that Viewsonic uses a Mitsubishi tube... So don't pay extra for a Sony when you can get the same tube for less money in a Dell monitor.

Personally, I prefer shadow masks. I'd rather have a crisper display, and the 2 "lines" (horizontal wires behind the screen to stabilize the grill) bother me. The best shadow masks are made by Hitachi IMO. Samsung also make nice monitors. If you you like aperture grills better, I'd look at NEC/Mitsubishi. (they merged)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Drew et al.:
Well, I could find neither the Mitusbishi 2060NF you mentioned nor the ViewSonic P225F at PriceGrabber.com.
I did, however, find listings for both units at PriceWatch.com. The P225F ranged from $719 to $896 including shipping (which ranged from free to $97). The DP-2060 ranged from $791 to $869 (including approximately equivalent shipping).
Here's the larger and, in my opinion, more important issue: what if I get a lemon monitor--or a monitor I want to return for any reason--and am charged a restocking fee or must pay shipping costs to return the unit to an e-tailer? Shipping a 60-80 pound monitor would not be cheap. It could wipe out the savings that theoretically would inhere in buying the monitor online versus at a 'brick & mortar' or 'click & mortar' traditional retailer.
Isn't there also the issue--particularly with aperture grill designs--of jostling/moving the unit as little as possible, or at least shipping it in either a screen face-up or face-down position? I can hardly be assured that the unit will be handled with care when shipped from an e-tailer's warehouse versus my picking it up myself from a local retailer.
What say ya'll?
Cheers,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks