What's new

Desperate Housewives ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
a quick question, I missed the first episode so i didnt quite get if there is a reason for the affair or just the thrill of sneaking around. From the episode where she went to his house it would seem the latter but can anyone comment if it is different?? Is she trying to get back at the husband??

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I think it's more likely that Bree's husband has a fetish or something that he wants to do that he's embarrassed to say or ask for. I have to say that Bree is rapidly becoming my second favorite character on the show. Yeah, Gabby is #1 -- that girl is painfully hot.

The reason I'm thinking fetish or embarrassing request is because of the way he reacted to Bree grilling him in the kitchen (ha, I made a funny) where she kept saying "Just tell me what you want, I'll do it" etc, etc. You could see that he wanted to say something but just couldn't. Same thing for when she confronted him in the hotel bed about him always wanting to ask her something. Mikel is hardly the only one to think he's gay, my wife said the same thing. I'd be surprised if they didn't use that angle for Bree's character, wondering if her husband is gay, only to find out that he just wants to vid-tape her or get a spanking or something --
smile.gif

I just can't get enough of this show. My wife pokes fun at me because she knows I look forward to it every week. That, and Monday Night Football. Ha!

Doug

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I think Rex is partially turned off cause he wants Bree to play with his scrotum, and Bree told the psychologist that she doesnt like scrotums. remmeber that? I couldnt believe that Bree looked as good as she did in that lingerie. I still prefer Gabrielle however. Anyone hear that she turned Playboy down because in the contract they wanted her to do a photo shoot and a video, and she didnt want to do the video?

SarahG

Second Unit
haha. two interesting theories.

I missed having this to watch last night and mull over today. looking fwd to sunday...

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Ugh. I hate political correctness and how prudish we've become as a society:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1924261

Does anyone have video of this? I missed the first 5 minutes of MNF last night. (Damn HD is great). I appreciate that ABC has been gradually becoming more daring. To hear that so many affiliates preempted Private Ryan is just w-e-a-k, weak. I think it's great that ABC has said they will pay any fines and were expecting millions of complaints from Private Ryan, then to turn around and get more complaints for this.

What kills me, is that this was "inappropriate for MNF". Are you kidding me?! If I had an icon of me banging my head against the wall, it would be attatched. :thumbsdown:

Friggin ridiculous. (Maybe this should be posted in the football thread too - shrug)

Doug

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I second Doug's "ugh" at the prudishness, and up him one "sigh-followed-by-groan" at the hypocrisy. Though I've got this very bad, persistent feeling in the pit of my stomach of late regarding all the prudishness and hypocrisy that seems to have become the new national past-time, I'm trying to battle that with laughter, being the best medicine and all. I managed a chuckle or two at King Kaufman's column in Salon today, of which the following is an excerpt:

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Here a link. Click on the box to lower middle right of the page. I thought it was lame and had no real place other than to promote an already popular show. I wasn't offended by the promo, though. This country has become far to worried about sex when it should be worried about drugs and violence.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Are you kidding me?! That caused all of the fuss? And here's what I find the most ridiculous:

I made my comments before seeing the piece (as I stated) and now that I've seen it, I'm even more disgusted than I was before. This whole skit was tame, if not a bit lame, and just a funny take on the show. I think some people need to take the stick out of their @$$ when they're watching TV, they might be more comfortable sitting on the couch.

Doug

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
We havent. I feel its the rural communities that have become scared of being a modern society and in turn gain polical power to try and justify and press their morals onto others.

I havent bothered to read any articles or even see the promo, not to mention that I dont care for sports much, But I'm staying out of this becuase it will enrage me and I will feel as though Im loosing my rights slowly but surely.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Tony Dungy and others said that they just felt, in light of the Kobe Bryant ordeal, that they found it racially incencitive to portray an african american man in that role.. *shrug*

I'm not saying I agree with that viewpoint, just re-iterating what they said.

Yes, the up-in-arms nature is foolish. At the same time, a big part of it is about self-imposed TV rating limits (like TV-G, etc.) Desperate Housewives is, if I remember correctly, TV-M. Whereas Monday Night Football is TV-G (correct me if I'm wrong). So, there were those who felt ABC went ahead with a promo they shouldn't have.

Eh. Not sure I buy that, but it's an argument. In the end, what it really was had nothing to do with "indecent" or "terrible" It was just "innappropriate". I wasn't offended, any more then I'm offended when product placement is super obvious. It was more crass then offensive, and made me agree with something Tony Dungy did say "does the NFL need that to sell, or did they need th NFL to sell the program?" He's right. Both were doing well. And the NFL doesn't really need crap spots to help it. No more then it needs the new monday night halftime crap (which is just terrible, hard to watch television)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Do you think Dave Chappelle would like to see an advertisement for Grape Drink during commercials for a predominently African-American dominated sport like Basketball?
(this is a joke refering to a very funny running joke that Dave Chappelle made on his recent Showtime special, Its not to offend anyone)
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, couldnt resist the product placement being offensive remark.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I know. Through the Freedom of Information Act, a blogger recently discovered that Fox got fined $1.2M from the complaints of three people. The FCC lied and inflated the figures, and finally admitted two years later that they only had three valid complaints.

It enrages me when the same people who made such a demand for the V-Chip to be included into every TV set end up being the exact same people who make the outcry over this programming, which they didn't even watch. Others just seem unable to use "Off", "Channel up", or "Channel down".

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Well, there is a poll on the page that Mark linked to above. You should all use it to send a tiny, but important message. It only takes a few seconds.

FWIW, I thought it was harmless, and actually had to chuckle when Felicity and Terry called it "desperate".

-Christian

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I feel as though Im loosing my rights slowly but surely."

Yup,but thats another discussion.

Ridiculous people are complaining about that promo (which was on after 9 before a football game).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"Ridiculous people" who are highly organized, vocal, and believe they have a mandate to impose their, ahem, "values" upon the rest of us. Those who don't do what most of the rest of us do when we accidentally come across the PAX network, or televised preachering, or some other protected speech that rubs us the wrong way... that is, change the channel.

(Which, I should point out, is what I do when I come across "Desperate Housewives", a show I find to be neither transgressive nor particularly interesting. But different strokes, right?)

This is the further infantilization of America by yet another nanny-class, yet another gaggle of self-appointed thought police, to whom I say I've already got a mother and have no need for a priest, reverend, shaman, witchdoctor, Dr. Phil, what-have-you.

And, please, stay away from my children. They don't need to be corrupted by your medieval notions of morality.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Maybe in your market, but not everywhere in the U.S."

True,that comment wasnt even made about the content, but who was the target audience.

As for the its content,its nothing u wont see on sitcoms,talk shows or day time television.

Rich, I may love you.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Amen. Did they get rid of the cheerleaders in football or something? You see a lot more of them than you do of Sheridan, and you can't say they're not supposed to be suggestive sexually. Otherwise, where are all the ugly ones fully covered up?
I WAS a bit offended though. After all the hype, I loaded the clip on the computer (not having seen it on TV) and didn't see anything. You'd think with ABC and all their bare asses over the years there would have been something for people to actually complain about.
What happened to this country? Ever since Janet Jackson it's gone crazy. Even there her nipple was covered and it wasn't exactly a close-up. What's next? CG'ing out all the nipples visible through women's clothing on TV shows? That could be a full-time job. Hmmm. Maybe I should look into that. There are worse things a guy could do for a living.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks