What's new

Desktop Icons Rearrange at login (XP) (1 Viewer)

Joe S

Second Unit
This problem suddenly appeared after a Windows update. For years my desktop has been pretty stable, but after the latest Windows update the icons on my desktop randomly rearranged themselves each time I startup.

This is very annoying, even though I have a utility that gives a "Restore Desktop Icon Layout" by right clicking the Recycle Bin. I have to do it 3 times to get it back to the way it was.

I found a couple Registry Hacks that seem to work- time will tell- but I just don't see how Microsoft can't prevent this sort of foolishness.

Joe S

Second Unit
Well, the desktop was OK until I started the computer this morning. Once again, all the icons were rearranged.

What a POS Windows is!!

Now the fixes don't seem to help at all.

Anyone have a good fix, there doesn't seem to be a lot of useful info on the web.

Edit: Found a small utility called "Iconoid" that seems to do the trick.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Registry Mechanic works wonders. But you said that your computer has been pretty stable for years. How long has it been since you reinstalled windows? Windows just develops problems over time, especially if you download a lot and/or install and uninstall lots of programs. If you have a ton of third-party utilities, they could be messing with each other.

I usually end up jacking up my computer in various ways and having to reinstall at least once a year. But even if I didn't I'd probably reinstall anyway. That also ensures that you have the most updated drivers for all your stuff (don't use the driver disk those items came with - they are outdated by the time you take the cellophane off).

But, you might give registry mechanic a go if you don't want to reinstall.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

Because the market doesn't make them. Although Leopard seems pretty good competition and now that manufacturers make video games for Macs, that might tip the scale a lot. Maybe Microsoft will finally step up and make a good product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks