Designing Women (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Finally another show I want to see on DVD:

From TVshowsondvd.com:

Columbia TriStar plans to release the first season of the show later this year. While we don't have a release date right now, we'll keep our eyes open.

5/7 Update: The source of this information is the back page of an advertising insert that was included with the new release, The Greatest '70s Cop Shows
Thanks, Columbia!

Claude North

Second Unit
I agree. I'm glad one of the shows I voted for made the list. I was suprised and disappointed that MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN wasn't among the "chosen few."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think this will be the release of the year for my wife - she /loves/ this show. The only thing that could top it would be Golden Girls....

Francis Yee Loy

Auditioning
Columbia TriStar just announced Designing Women on DVD...

but so far only in a "Best-Of" Disc!!!!!

While I do enjoy the episodes on the disc they are releasing, I want Season sets!!!

Check www.TvshowsOnDVD.com for more info

Francis

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I will not be buying so-called "best-ofs" under ANY circumstances. Did they not learn from the MwC debacle? Season sets or nothing.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This just sucks!!! After hearing about the MWC S1 boxset, I was beginning to think Columbia had seen the error of 'Best of' sets. Designing Women is one of my favorite sitcoms ever and I only hope that David or Gord over at TvshowsonDVD.com can get more info on the situation.

'Best of' = NO SALE!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but the situation right now is Best-Of, just like I said in the latest news item we posted.

In MatthewA's top post I see him quoting a previous news item, where we had said "season". As I recall, a short time later we changed that wording to eliminate the word "season", because we realized that Columbia had said no such thing. They had an insert in some other releases (Greatest '70s Cop Shows, S.W.A.T.) that indicated that a release was coming...but it never said season sets.

Instead of "stealthily" changing the wording of an already-posted news item, I probably should have posted a separate news item mentioning the correction. I'll take responsibility for that, it was my poor judgement. Regardless, the fact is that Columbia themselves never promised season sets, and while one may come later like is happening for Married...with Children, right now they are "testing the waters" with Designing Women.

I don't condone Best Of's any more than you do, and I never got into this show so I probably won't buy this one. But Columbia has not yet abandoned best-of's (quite the contrary, I know of - but can't give details yet about - at least one more non-season-set TV release due at the end of September...it's NOT anything that's been discussed at HTF yet, and it IS a show already represented on DVD).

It's also a fact - although it pains me to say it - that if this best-of release for Designing Women does not sell well, there will almost certainly not be a season set.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
David's right. I'll be picking this up just to support the release of season sets. Columbia is obviously testing the market before going ahead with sets.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The funny thing is, is that Columbia hosted a poll over at the Designing Women Tribute Page about what 5 episodes fans wanted to see... Almost all the participants said they would buy season sets (I didn't read one entry that said they wouldn't) and about 4 out of 5 said they couldn't choose just five. I guess Columbia was just really determined to release that 5 ep set.

After what David has said, I will probably purchase the 'Best of' set to show interest in Season sets. I just wished Columbia would wake up and smell the Java.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Plans for the "Best Of" were probably already in place before the poll was set up. I picked my five and also voted for season sets. Time, and sells, will tell.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
It's been 3 months now since the release and I was wondering if anyone has heard any further info or heard how well the 'Best of' disc sold? I'm really hoping that Columbia will release this series in full season sets sometime next year!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Nothing yet. History tells us Columbia likes to keep clandestine about something before its released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks