What's new

Designing Women Season 4 Shout Factory 9/14/10 (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
There wasn't a thread yet for this 4th Season release.... Amazon and Shout Factory released the Fourth Season set on the 14th but some retailers are stating Sept 21st was the release date. Never the less... for the fans I have watched over half of the season so far and the good news is that for a season that seems to be filled with licensed music, everything seems to be in tack that I can tell. Including the Supremes Episode "The Rowdy Girls"

Desiging Women season 4 to me looks better than the previous seasons video image wise, I know it is hard for anything to look good that was shot on video, but the trasnfers seem to look better than say the first few seasons that I can recall. Season 4 is also one of the most entertaining.

Here is the information of the release from www.tvshowsondvd.com site http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Designing-Women-Season-4/14336

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm going through it as we speak. I've only started three episodes into disc 1, but everything has been uncut with original music and logos so far, and in stereo (CBS was the last of the Big 3 to adopt stereo sound, IIRC).

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm just hoping they make it to a complete series set. There's one more season to go with the original cast before the show began it's revolving door of changing stars. I thought the other actresses that came in later were great but not properly served by the show's huge drop in quality.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

Desiging Women season 4 to me looks better than the previous seasons video image wise, I know it is hard for anything to look good that was shot on video, but the trasnfers seem to look better than say the first few seasons that I can recall. Season 4 is also one of the most entertaining.

Actually it was shot on film (unlike most 1980s sitcoms), but the post-production was on tape, like almost all TV shows shot on film since 1985. But it's watchable. And there were so many great episodes and drop dead hilarious moments. Julia's drunken rendition of "Sweet Georgia Brown" was classic, and so was the bowling alley episode. And many of the dramatic moments worked exceptionally well, too. It's a shame that these days any earnest dramatic moment on a sitcom past or present automatically gets it tagged as a "Very Special Episode" (thanks a lot, Blossom), even when it isn't forced and out of place. I guess what Linda Bloodworth-Thomason said on the Paley Center panel on the Season 1 set is true, that some comedy writers are just uncomfortable with dramatic scenes.

And I don't know how much of a demand there is for it among fans, as I never saw it, but this interview with Mill Creek's VP says they are releasing Delta Burke's one-season sequel/spinoff Women of the House next year.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-News-Interview-with-Mill-Creek-VP/14528

If they're dealing with Sony, I wonder if they'll get Filthy Rich as well.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I will be picking up WOTH from Mill Creek, but I would feel much better if I knew for a fact that Seasons 6 and 7 of DW were a definite go.

Someone earlier in this thread nailed it when they said the actresses were not served properly. I love Julia Duffy, Jan Hooks and Judith Ivey one and all, and these episodes need to be released too. If people see them again, I bet they will agree they are not as bad as they remember.

Sure, there are a few clunkers but there are also some excellent episodes those last two years as well: Last Tango in Atlanta, All About Odes to Atlanta, Shades of Vanessa, Of Human Bondage, The Woman Who Came to Sugarbakers, The Lying Game, Sex, Lies and Bad Hair Days. These are all hilarious well-played shows that I want to own uncut!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks