What's new

Depeche Mode 101 DVD finally coming. Pre-order (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
This is very good news. Depeche Mode is my 3rd favorite band ( The Cure and The Replacements being first and second) and I have never seen this concert. I was fortunate enough to have seen them twice for Exciter though!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dm rocks. i also have a ton of import vinyl (the cool colored vinyl ones), cd singles, an *awesome* wall-sized poster from the violator tour at wembley stadium - this thing is huge, black and white, with a single large red rose in the middle. i love that poster!

i've seen them on every tour since the black celebration tour. heck, i even subscribed to their fanzine for a while.

i was also at this concert. anyone remember the food fight? that was awesome ... thank god i was on the floor.

as far as electronic music goes, it's

1. dm
2. new order
3. psb

DavidKNML

Agent
Nachos, Beer, and soda flying everywhere.

There's nothing better the 65K singing Everything Counts.

Can't wait for the commentary on the DVD.

I don't have any posters. My most prized collectable is pictures of the band at the Warehouse in the Beverly Center. My friend worked Security there and gave them to me.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Nachos, Beer, and soda flying everywhere.
:laugh: yeah, i had some friends who were up in the bleachers. they said they saw people running to the concession stand and filling up their cups with mustard, ketchup, etc. :eek:

like i said, glad i was on the floor.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
The 101 video certainly makes me wish I'd been there. I'd even put up with ketchup on my shirt for it :)

Interestingly, I was always put off the 101 CD by all these shouts and "yeah" calls. After watching the video I realized it was just Dave getting into things, now I love the CD!

I saw DM for the SOFAD tour in London. I didn't really enjoy it :-( I went with some friends who had loved the Violation tour. The SOFAD songs - and some are wonderful - are too funereally paced to make for a fun upbeat concert, and they didn't play too many others. I think I was hoping for Never Let Me Down Again, mainly so I could wave my arms 101-style :) , but they didn't play that!

Favourite DM mix:

Enjoy the Silence, Hands and Feet mix.

Next:

Never Let Me Down Again, Split mix. It's like the 101 mix but without all the fans. Actually that's my favourite 101 track too. The whole of 101(b) is brilliant.

I'm still looking for the In Your Room LCD. I have the CD (with the fold out cross-shaped container) and the XLCD... but the LCD place still holds that little CD-shaped paper placeholder...

With my iPod I am finally listening more to Exciter.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Oh yes. More DM today. A friend at work had been listening to my iTunes share, and thanked me for sharing the music. I asked what he'd been listening to, and he said "Mostly all the Depeche Mode" :emoji_thumbsup:

Kristine Ha

Auditioning
i've always loved dm, literally from the first moment i heard them. that was darn near 20 years ago. there is absolutely no other band that has had that affect on me. i'll stay with them until the end.
Yup. I loved them so much that I had MODE tattooed on my left shoulder with the "M" being the Sire/Mute logo. Now I know the rules, never put a name on you that you might regret but it is almost 15 years later (ouch, doing that math made me feel old) and I STILL love this band.

Kristine Ha

Auditioning
I look to you how you carry on when all hope is gone, can't you see ...
Years later, I was the recipient of some very good karma. My best friend at university loved New Order so anytime he was in charge of the music, DM took a back seat much to my loud-voiced chagrin. He confessed that he felt bad so he introduced me to this girl in our same year who I had never met. She loved DM and said she might be able to get me backstage. Thinking that it might be some prank, I only allowed myself a modicum of interest but I had to eat all kinds of crow when the night of the show, she came through with a lovely little fabric patch that allowed us to roam freely. It turned out that she was in a relationship with someone very close to the band and she did not wish to publicize that fact around school. I ended up hanging out with the band afterwards in a very low-key way. It was one of the highlights of my formative years - managing to stay calm while the sycophantic babbling fool raged inside me to get out ...

I was able to share a few cigarettes and dance with Martin Gore and share some drinks while talking footie with Andy Fletcher, undoubtedly the nicest member of the band.

So before I regress any further into fond memories of those halcyon days when one could take off and follow a band through several cities with no fear of recrimination from friends. I will say this, I have never missed them perform live since and I can honestly say that DM would be one of those artists that I would drag with me on a desert island if asked that stock question of "If you were stranded on a desert island, what 10 records would you take with you ... "

Feelin' a little like Rob Gordon so I will put on the album that made me prattle far more than I had planned and creep quietly away now ...

:b

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Yup. I loved them so much that I had MODE tattooed on my left shoulder with the "M" being the Sire/Mute logo.
will you marry me? :b

btw, that's an awesome story about getting to meet them. i almost had a chance when they last toured. poe was touring with them and my buddy did some website work for her. he said he would try to get me backstage, but it never panned out.

boy, i would love to meet those guys ... just once ....

Kristine Ha

Auditioning
Will you marry me?

btw, that's an awesome story about getting to meet them. i almost had a chance when they last toured. poe was touring with them and my buddy did some website work for her. he said he would try to get me backstage, but it never panned out.

boy, i would love to meet those guys ... just once ....
Thanks Ted for the proposal but I think my boyfriend might voice some concern on that one but nonetheless it still makes a girl feel wanted somehow. Although if we merged our media collections, I think it would be one heck of a library (verging on 2000 discs and I lost count of the vinyl) ... said as she ponders exactly how long it would take to listen to it all.

We went to the Poe/DM show in New Orleans because they left off Houston on their tour. It rained horribly, our hotel room was abysmal but the concert was fantastic with Dave spinning and his "oh yeah's" ...

Good times ... :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be one heck of a library (verging on 2000 discs and I lost count of the vinyl)
okay, now you're really starting to turn me on. ;)

tbh, i think my fiance might have an issue as well, but considering how well she knows (and tolerates) my dm fanaticism, i think she might actually let me slide. :D

just kiddin ya by the way ... don't want you to think i'm some sycho internet guy. :)

hopes she doesn't look up some of my other random posts....

RichSL

Agent
101 :emoji_thumbsup: - Good DVD also..shame there isn't any new input from Alan Wilder on the disc by way of an interview or commentary participation.

Let's hope a DVD of 'Devotional' isn't too far away and in the wider sense let's hope after their fairly unimpressive solo efforts of late...both Dave and Martin can sort out any 'issues' and get back together to producing some new material.....saw Dave performing last year on his 'Paper Monsters' tour...i think vocally he may be improving!...but sadly without Martin's songwriting it just lacks any 'spark' IMO at least.

DavidKNML

Agent
Paper Monsters wasn't good at all aside from Bitter apple. I couldn't get into the rest of it. It was better than Martins Solo effort though IMO.

Kristine Ha

Auditioning
okay, now you're really starting to turn me on. tbh, i think my fiance might have an issue as well, but considering how well she knows (and tolerates) my dm fanaticism, i think she might actually let me slide.
Heh. My significant other tolerates my DM and other 80s obsession as well. I have to say that the yen for nostalgia has deepened since the death of one of my parents. Listening to those songs that brought back feelings of comfort and safety, if anyone can empathize.

So when we moved from TX to AZ (never want to do that again although Music for the Masses sounded really good through canyons of rock and stark landscapes), we halved the discs in the cases to be fair ... after I carefully gleaned 40 discs from greats like the Damned, the Housemartins, the Smiths, Pet Shop Boys and so on and so on to put them in their proper place, all he could say was, "So how many whiny English voices will I have to endure during this road trip." My mind raced and after realizing that I had no answer that would not evolve into a well spoken defense of my choices ... so I let it be.

And yet I still love him. What we all don't endure for love ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks