What's new

Depeche Mode 101 DVD finally coming. Pre-order (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Nice news, as DM is one of my all-time favorites (almost as vaunted to me as New Order).

However, I believe your link is broken?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
...plus an audio commentary by the band...
can i get a woo-hoo!

dm *is* my all-time fave band. (peter - new order is my second! :emoji_thumbsup: )

i was at that concert, somewhere on the floor. it was an absolutely great experience. everytime i listen to my 101 cd i think about that time.

most amazing was when they started singing blasphemous rumors. it was overcast and right at the line "...then came the rain, and once again, a tear fell from her mother's eye." it actually started to rain! nobody could believe it - we were all looking for misters or rain machines.

spooky...

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
At last ! Depeche Mode's groundbreaking and legendary 101 Concert "Live at the Pasadena Rosebowl", is available in all its digital glory ! This stunning 2 Disc package comes stuffed with special features, commentaries and much, much more.
Disc 1 :-
Depeche Mode 101 - The Movie (optional commentary track with all band members).

Disc 2 :
Interviews
Live at The Rose Bowl (concert only - running time approx 60 minutes)
Everything Counts 88 (video)
and much more ..

i can't wait.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
most amazing was when they started singing blasphemous rumors. it was overcast and right at the line "...then came the rain, and once again, a tear fell from her mother's eye." it actually started to rain!
Is this the scene that was used heavily to advertise their 'Behind the Music' (or a doc similiar to this on VH1?)...where an isolated shot of David Gahan, poised at the very head of stage, while the rain pours down and winds whip through his hair and the legions of Masses thob in unison?

I got shivers whenever I saw that scene. At the height of their fame, DM used to command that kind of stature, if not from the Man, at least from their fans. ;)

I've never been to a DM concert...I missed out.

Actually, for the longest time during my teens and 20's, I vacillated between NO and DM as who was my favorite. With the release of this dvd, the positions might get reversed.

Listening to Enjoy the Silence (The Quad:Final Mix) as I write.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not sure peter, but it must be.

i remember that concert vividly to this day. you're right about dm (at their height) being able to command the audience to do anything. i swear, if gahan swiveled his hips, the crowd went nuts. if he started clapping or waving his hands, the whole place did the same thing. heck, he can still pull it off now.

this place was also the site of the biggest food fight i'd ever seen. the entire upper decks were tossing food left and right. i was very glad to be on the floor, but i had friends in the bleachers that got decked pretty good.
I've never been to a DM concert...I missed out.
i've seen every concert since the black celebration tour. they still put on a good show - catch them if you can. as a fan you owe it to yourself. :D

btw - have you checked out gahan's solo project? i've only heard the single which is pretty decent. http://www.davegahan.com/

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link, Ted.

DM's following was different...it transcended popular fame and delved nearly into quasi-religious fervor.

Even into the twilight of their fame, they commanded a great deal of loyalty and buzz.

I recall a live set on The Tonight Show w/Jay Leno. I believe that it was an appearance to promote Ultra, a first live US performance after a long hiatus. Fran Drescher was the guest in the chair prior to their set.

When Jay announced DM, and the set opened, pandemonium ensued. The camera showed Fran in a near hysterical state, shivering and shrieking. Then, the camera panned away to show the live audience - everyone was on their feet, roaring and clapping in anticipation. I have never seen a performance/performer garner that kind of frenzy on the Tonight Show.

To me, it was a last, great hurrah, a testament to their incredible body of work from the mid-80's. They are really an icon of that era.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i remember that too peter. people were camping out in front of the studio for two days hoping to get in. leno was ultra-cool and even hired extra security to keep the people camping outside safe. :emoji_thumbsup: (i've always liked leno and hearing that only reinforced my admiration of him.)

also, do you remember the warehouse records incident? i think it was right about the same time as the 101 tour. they were somewhere in LA (i'm thinking La Cienega Blvd, but not sure) signing autographs and promoting (i think) music for the masses. there was some huge riot or something...i don't remember the details now.

i do remember the band feeling badly about the whole incident. KROQ later released a cassette-single by the band - their way of apologizing for the incident.
DM's following was different...it transcended popular fame and delved nearly into quasi-religious fervor.
very well said.

i've always loved dm, literally from the first moment i heard them. that was darn near 20 years ago. there is absolutely no other band that has had that affect on me. i'll stay with them until the end.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
i've always loved dm, literally from the first moment i heard them. that was darn near 20 years ago. there is absolutely no other band that has had that affect on me. i'll stay with them until the end.
You and me both. People Are People had a profound effect on this korean kid growing up in a homogenous, small town smack dab in the middle of Wisconsin. Also helped me weather the angst during high school and college during the late 80's and early 90's.

Sadly, I wonder if any other band will galvanize me like they did (and still do) again.

GregBoehme

Agent
Cool... Golden oldies for the Gen X crowd... No one knew how to pronounce 'Depeche' and all the guessing what the name meant....
So long ago it seems.. Was there for the Phoenix date (one before Pasedena), remember the crowd worked up to a frenzy as they took their places behind the backlit banners and when the banners dropped..whoohoo ! Although their opening act Noise Farm or something had everyone laughing, almost felt bad for them.
To everyones dissapointment DM didn't play 'Somebody' so we did ourselves :)

Also the New Order/Echo and the Bunnymen/Gene loves Jezebel concert around that time frame.. Great stuff.

Now where's my cane....

Greg

oh yeah Blasphemous Rumors is the song that started me down the path of questioning religion and Agnosticsism...

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
i feel the same way. radiohead has hit me pretty hard, but nowhere as deeply as dm.
Very interesting that you say this, as I forgot to ask what music invigorates you today. Nothing catalyzed my soul like DM or NO before...I like Radiohead and thought Coldplay could capture my imagination, but after enough listens, I realize that really nothing jolts and transports me like the pop/alt bands of the 80's.

Have we reached generational critical mass, like we indicted our parent before us? Jeez, I think that the answer might be more yes than no.

BTW...Greg, isn't 'depeche mode' french for 'fast fashion'? And shhh...don't tell anyone - I still like Tears for Fears. Somehow, Everybody Wants to Rule the World in the car deck gets the fires roaring to the point where I invariably exceed the speed limit on the freeways.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
right on greg! c'mon back to the time when music meant something! :rolleyes::D ;)

peter's right - it means faster fashion. supposedly it was/is the name of a french magazine - that's where they got the idea. it's actually pronounced "day-puh-shay".

funny you mention coldplay peter. along with radiohead (gee...what a surprise...considering the band similarities) they're among my current faves. i just saw them (coldplay) a couple of months ago when they came through sac. great concert.

but, yeah, i gotta say i'm not as hip as i was...or want to be. yeah, i think part of me is getting old, but i just can't relate anymore. my gawd....are we really becoming our parents! :eek:

i do miss that feeling of hearing a song and thinking, "yeah...i totally know what he's singing about." now it's more like "wtf is he singing about?". :)

i'm still a closet 80's fan. among my faves still include the usual suspects: tff, the smiths, the cure, echo, etc. heck, i was just listening to the smiths earlier tonight! :emoji_thumbsup:

GregBoehme

Agent
Yeah.. as stated 'fast fashion'.. for quite a while nobody questioned what it meant (they had enough trouble with the pronouciation, think alot of people avoided them then because they didn't know how to say the name :) )

And no need for the closet.. it's 'ok' to like the 80's, my ex-gf was a few years younger than me and she had a blast going through my CD's and 'discovering' all the old groups..

And if you want to walk down memory lane.. VH1 Classic 'We are the 80's'

So when is this coming out again ?? The link was broken..

Greg

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
according to dvdfile, it's oct 21st.

my cd collection really does read like a "who's who" of the 80's. back then i was probably buying at least one or two cd's a week. of my 700+ cd's, i'd say at least 65% could be classified as 80's. :D

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Excellent DVD. Sure the video quality could be better, and other things could be criticized, but dang I am really getting a kick out of watching it!

This was the only VHS I ever bought, years and years ago!

DavidKNML

Agent
I can't wait for this. I was also there in Pasadena. With Wire, Thomas Dolby & OMD.

I've seen DM 6 times:
88 Black Celebration Forum in LA (Still have the concert shirt)
Music for the Masses Forum in LA
Music for the Masses Rose Bowl
Violator tour (Both nights at Dodger Stadium)
KROQ Acoustic Xmas (Shrine)
Greatest Hits tour at Forum in LA.

At one time I had every 12" Most were EUR imports. Sold them all when the CD box sets came out. I still have every US CD single in my collection. I also have all the VHS releases and the Current DVD releases.

BTW: The Cure is #2 on my all time list behind DM. Then U2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks