Denon vs HK vs Onkyo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by john charlton, Aug 5, 2006.

1. john charlton

john charlton Auditioning

I am putting together a new system for a 18 x 22 foot room. It could be considered larger as it opens with double doors to another 18 by 22 foot room and has 9' ceilings. I was considering the following.
    Rti8's front -$299 each
    Rti6's middle - $349 pair
    Rti6's rear - $349 pair
    CSI5 Center - $349
    Sub Polk 404 $399
    Amp Onkyo 702 or Denon 2106 or HK Avr 340
    $561 vs $595 vs $647

All prices include delivery and tax. Somewhat limited in selection. That is why I selected rti6's for mid and rear speakers. I would appreciate any comments. This system comes to about $2,500 and I would like to stay in that range. I would appreciate any comments on the amps or any other part of the system. I like the Onkyo, I think because it is THX cert. I would also like auto setup. My preference is for glass breaking, clicks pops and such in movies to sound crisp and sharp. As the system is not intended for music, I am looking for good movie performance.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi John - in regards to receivers, I would definately recommend you wait for the Denon AVR-2307CI, which comes out this month, especially as your system is geared towards home theatre. You should be able to find for around $650. [​IMG]

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...wreceivers.php

3. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

For the sub you would probably find a better sub for the same price from SVS or HSU.

Seth=L

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I second the new Denon. HDMI switching is a nice extra there.

Seth=L

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

any particular reason you've selected the polks?

6. john charlton

john charlton Auditioning

I tried to keep it at the selection the Military BX has available. JBL venue series, Bose, Polk, Cerwin Vega, (witch I have no information on), B.I.C. also I know nothing about them, They do have a Boston Acoustics (BSNPV700) 12" Powered Subwoofer for under $500 and a
    Velodyne® (DLS-5000R) 15" Remote-Controlled Subwoofer also under $500.
    Boston Acoustics (BSNVR2) 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker under $400, Looking at it, I could most likely use Boston Acoustics or JBL.

I flew loud air planes for over 20 years. While my hearing is good, I am sure there are lots of high notes I don't even know are there. I run a small Sony system now, and while OK, It ain't great. $2,500 was about the top of my limit, and Polks seemed to fit. I do think the RTI 6's seem like over kill for mids and rear, but the RTI-4s from Cruchfield (just for example) was only $50 less. By the time you pay tax and get them here, it would be less that that.

So why did I pick Polk? Seemed like a good speaker, sounded ok, better that what I have, almost anything would be, and I don't know squat about what I am doing. That just about sums it up.

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

If those were my only options for speakers I would happily and with out double questioning myself buy the Boston acoustics speakers and subwoofer. I own some Boston Acoustics speakers myself and they are a great value speaker company. BIC isn't to bad either, but they are a brighter sounding speaker.

Also I would add that the company that makes Denon, D&M Holdings, also makes Marantz, McIntosh and Boston Acoustics.

Seth=L

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

right. well, listening is key. I found them bright, but it's a matter of taste.

9. Th8ter

Th8ter Extra

Definitly look at the SVS subs, can't be beat for money.