What's new

Denon vs HK vs Onkyo (1 Viewer)

john charlton

Auditioning
I am putting together a new system for a 18 x 22 foot room. It could be considered larger as it opens with double doors to another 18 by 22 foot room and has 9' ceilings. I was considering the following.
Rti8's front -$299 each
Rti6's middle - $349 pair
Rti6's rear - $349 pair
CSI5 Center - $349
Sub Polk 404 $399
Amp Onkyo 702 or Denon 2106 or HK Avr 340
$561 vs $595 vs $647

All prices include delivery and tax. Somewhat limited in selection. That is why I selected rti6's for mid and rear speakers. I would appreciate any comments. This system comes to about $2,500 and I would like to stay in that range. I would appreciate any comments on the amps or any other part of the system. I like the Onkyo, I think because it is THX cert. I would also like auto setup. My preference is for glass breaking, clicks pops and such in movies to sound crisp and sharp. As the system is not intended for music, I am looking for good movie performance.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
For the sub you would probably find a better sub for the same price from SVS or HSU.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I second the new Denon. HDMI switching is a nice extra there.

Seth=L

john charlton

Auditioning
I tried to keep it at the selection the Military BX has available. JBL venue series, Bose, Polk, Cerwin Vega, (witch I have no information on), B.I.C. also I know nothing about them, They do have a Boston Acoustics (BSNPV700) 12" Powered Subwoofer for under $500 and a
Velodyne® (DLS-5000R) 15" Remote-Controlled Subwoofer also under $500.
Boston Acoustics (BSNVR2) 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker under $400, Looking at it, I could most likely use Boston Acoustics or JBL.

I flew loud air planes for over 20 years. While my hearing is good, I am sure there are lots of high notes I don't even know are there. I run a small Sony system now, and while OK, It ain't great. $2,500 was about the top of my limit, and Polks seemed to fit. I do think the RTI 6's seem like over kill for mids and rear, but the RTI-4s from Cruchfield (just for example) was only $50 less. By the time you pay tax and get them here, it would be less that that.

So why did I pick Polk? Seemed like a good speaker, sounded ok, better that what I have, almost anything would be, and I don't know squat about what I am doing. That just about sums it up.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
If those were my only options for speakers I would happily and with out double questioning myself buy the Boston acoustics speakers and subwoofer. I own some Boston Acoustics speakers myself and they are a great value speaker company. BIC isn't to bad either, but they are a brighter sounding speaker.

Also I would add that the company that makes Denon, D&M Holdings, also makes Marantz, McIntosh and Boston Acoustics.

Seth=L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks