What's new

Denon receiver : CATV > FM antenna (1 Viewer)

thierry.guertin

Auditioning
Hi

I just acquired a Denon AVR 1804 HT receiver and hooked it up no problem (My 1st iteration for an Home Theater). I however have a question regarding the FM antenna coaxial connection in the back. I searched the forum but no luck.

Can I use an adapter and feed in the CATV cable from my local cable TV broadcasting company? I know they carry radio signals as well. In my DENON owner manual, they only show 2 options on they schematics regarding the antenna: either the "temporary antenna" provided with the unit or a connection to an external antenna using a 75 Ohms coaxial cable.

If it is OK to feed in the CATV cable, is there any protection device that should be use to protect my equipment (Surge protection for instance? What about the 75 Ohms cable specification?)

Thank you. Any help appreciated.

LewB

Screenwriter
I used to have my cable signal hooked up to an old Pioneer receiver to get my FM (before they stopped sending FM down the line). Worked fine. I got a 75ohm to twinlead converter at radio scrap and was in business in no time. Not sure about surge protection, though ...

JamesCB

Second Unit
The coaxial cable type connector is for FM ONLY. If you plug your cable into that all you are doing is using it as an antenna. Never heard of a cable company providing FM on their cable lines. More likely it was just acting as an atenna and picking up radio through the air.

LewB

Screenwriter

I think this was back in the 80's, yes my cable company put the NYC FM radio stations on the line along with the few local stations we had at that time. They even sent a listing of what stations were available. I'm not sure if this is done anymore.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
To answer your question, thierry, no you can’t connect the cable TV feed to the receiver.

When you say “they carry radio signals “ I expect you mean they include music channels. This is not the same thing as radio.

Any kind of coaxial feed – antenna, CATV, satellite – requires the appropriate tuner to decode the signal, even though they all use the same type of cable and connectors. The Denon receiver only has an FM tuner, not a cable or satellite tuner.

Bottom line, you probably need to get a cable box from your cable company. Alternately, any VCR can act as a cable tuner for most analog channels except the premium movie or pay-per-view channels. So-called “digital” cable will require a cable box.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks