What's new

Denon/Onkyo (1 Viewer)

Melville_H

Auditioning
Hi, Im just upgrading from PL to DD and I cant decide between the Denon 3802/2802 0r Onkyo 797/696. I was looking at the two listed brands for a while and cant which to get. I dont mind spending more for the higher model but if I would be satisfied with the lower model I'll just get that one. While Im at this I am also looking to replace my speakers Polk RT-20 speaker system...with the Paradim M7v2/Studio60 or Def.Tech. BP2006 speaker system. You guys seem to have ALOTTTT of experience in HT systems and any advice would be greatley appreciated. Oh, I plan to get an SVS 20-39 no doubt. Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Melville,

I now own an Onkyo 989, but preceding that I had the Denon 3801. In comparing the 787 and 3801, I felt at the time (as well as now) that the 3801 had mor "punch" to it. The "plus" on the Onkyo side is that they are a little more user friendly via the remote and the front display for my wife. I love my 989 but if my budget was $1000, I would have stayed with the 3801 (now 3802).

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
For $1000 (actually $1099) I would get the Onkyo 898 from J and R online. They are an authorized Onkyo dealer and have provided me with excellent customer service. I love the 898 and if I could have doubled my budget I would have the 989. Maybe someday :) I felt the Onkyo 898 provided me the best sound quality in its price range, incredible ease of use and the right mix or features/quality.
Thanks,
Jeff

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'm going too pick up an Onkyo 696 for a little bedroom rig i'm putting together. User friendly and a good display are a plus when your sleepy ;) Plenty of power, DPLII...

John Royster

Screenwriter
My advice.

pick the one that sounds good to you. Both are fine receivers. You HAVE auditioned each of them right?

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
Dennon will be warmer sounding while onkyo will sound more tinny.

You can get a much better deal on the onkyo. I just got a 797 from oade bros. They gave me a deal that is amazing, they are a licenced onkyo dealer and did I say they gave me a deal.

Question is, does $200 saving between the two make ya want an onkyo? It made me want one!

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I think the is a big diference between the Denon 2802 and the 3802 that you would notice in a side by side comparison. Like wise with the Onkyo 797/696. I got the denon over the onkyo because I preferred the sound. Since you are in the VI I'm not sure if you can listen to them before you buy them so I'd buy them the least expensive etailer with a good return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks