What's new

Denon DVD-2200 (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Dave,

Was your 2900 used or a refurb at that price? Yes, it is $20.00 more than the 2200 at retail, but once it streets, you should be able to get the 2200 in the low 5's I would think.

Reg

Nick V

Second Unit
I checked on the 2900, and it does indeed use stereo DAC's, so this is probably the biggest discernable difference between the two players. Of course this is assuming that the 2200 does use a single 6 or 8 channel DAC.

AllanC

Auditioning
I emailed crutchfield about this unit. they said that you can preorder it from them for $599.99. They expect their first shipment on October 10th. the online code for that unit is 033DVD2200

Allan

Nick V

Second Unit
Well, turns out the .pdf was wrong (or at least missing some detail) and the DVD-2200 uses the TI DSD1792 Stereo DAC's. This is one of their finest DAC's and this looks to be a fantastic dvd player for the price. I'm going to audition and probably buy one as soon as I possibly can (once they come out).

EDIT: When I made a quick comparison earlier on the TI (burr brown) site, I accidentally compared the DSD1792 to the DSD1791 rather than the 1790. I just checked back after Lewis' comment, and there is no available info on the 1790. Either way, the 1792 has great noise figures and dynamic range. There is no information available on the DSD 1790, but seeing as how the 5900 is using it, it is safe to assume that it is the better DAC.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The 5900 uses the 1790 as well just like the 2900.
I wonder besides the last digit change what makes the 1792 a better dac,and if indeed better, why would Denon elect to use it on a lower end model?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Nick, if you demo the '2200, please post your thoughts. I am very interested in this component.

Real Name
Alex Bischoff
The 5900 uses the 1790 as well just like the 2900.
I wonder besides the last digit change what makes the 1792 a better dac,and if indeed better, why would Denon elect to use it on a lower end model?
Do we know yet which of the two DACs is better, the 1790 or the 1792? As someone who uses his DVD player for Redbook audio (in addition to movies), I'm very interested in buying the better DAC :).

Craig Oberg

Agent
From the information on the 2200 on the Denon site and the
user manual, it doesn't look like the 2200 will not do time alignment
with SACD.

It looks like the 5900 will via a DSD to PCM conversion, but I'm
not in the position to shell out that kind of green.

I've listened to my Pioneer DV-563 with the speaker distances equal
to get a feeling for the effects of no time alignment, and in my opinion
it mucks up the image a bit.

Are there any time alignment suggestions or solutions for a poor
fellow whose pocket and Marantz SR-7000 can't handle the burden of
SACD time alignment?

If only my living room would allow for equal placement of the speakers.
I guess it always has to be something :)

Craig

Thira

Agent
I am interested in the 5900. Besides the price what does one think on the specs on this unit?
Thanks

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Hey, I am thinking about buying the 2200
But can anybody, who owns it say;

Does the tray make a lot of noise when playing DVDs/Cd's?
How is layer change? ( Non existent? Like 2900. )
Startup time and Menu selection?
How is two channel CD sound?
Regards

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Perhaps we should wait to see how the product performs before we deem it "overpriced."

-Reg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps we should wait to see how the product performs before we deem it "overpriced."
It's my opinion based on the last 5 years of buying Denon products,for the price nowhere near the MSRP they asking for. Well based on the MSRP of the 2900 of $1000 this player should be twice as good in every way for it's 2k price,having an "intimate" knowledge of the 2900 this will be a tall order.Don't forget the 3800/9000 ,was the 9000 really that much better[if any]based on the large price difference?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Lewis,

You got me there! I agree completely. I too was puzzled that the 9000 went for THREE TIMES the price of the 3800 when the video quality was virtually identical. The 9000 did have better audio quality, but did this alone make it worth three times the money to get better playback on a limited number of DVD-A discs? In my opinion "no," but then again, there are a few who would disagree with us. I had given my reasoning for not going with the 5900 using the same logical reasons you just laid out, with it being twice the price of the 2900. I am still puzzled why many people factor in CD playback so much on uber dollar DVD players, since most of the people I know who can afford these players already have dedicated redbook players from Arcam, Ayre, and other high-end companies that wil easily match or beat any DVD player they main get playing CD's.

Reg

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read in Denon's spec sheets and online the Denon 2200 is exactly like the 2900 in video but differs a little concerning the DAC's for audio. I heard rumor there was also a misprint on the tech sheet concerning the DAC chipset used on the 2200 and they were reprinting it. I've been holding off on a buy of the 2900 waiting on confirmation. What really peeves me is the fact they know certain chipsets are better for video, what they need to do to correct problems in the video, and yet they continue to plunk along making new machines without the corrective measures.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Just noticed that the October issue of Sound & Vision has an ad on the back cover from Denon featuring the 2900, 2200, and 5900. Is the 2200 widely available now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks