What's new

Denon - Blu-Ray or HD DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looks very nice! I imagine it will street/online price for $1300-1400. However, I'm still going to hold onto my PS3 for now.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

One word: Realta. Two words: Profile 1.1. :)

That said, I can likey even if I no buyey. ;) The more I think about it, the more I believe I will skip Profile 1.1 altogether and wait for 2.0. I really don't have time for special features anyway.

One of the reasons I prefer BD over HD DVD is the breadth of studio and CE support. HD DVD simply doesn't have anything comparable to a Denon or a Pioneer Elite in their arsenal, and the fact that they're hell bent on achieving commodity pricing of their players in record time means they probably never will.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

No kidding. That doesn't make much sense to me. Hmm...if I decide I want to go to the trouble to see some web content, I first have to go to my PC, download the content to an SD card and then put it in the machine. Yeah, that's going to happen.

That said, it is a sweet looking player and it should be a great performer, but probably never in my rack.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
This player should be a real performance winner. Can Marantz be next to go Blu-Ray. With growing hardware choices including basic players in Wal-Mart and Costco and now another high end choice.........it will look like a Blu-Ray world to the mass market consumer. I own both formats but purchase Blu-Ray discs when both are offered. I like the idea of DENON in the market for its quality reputation but I do not have much interest in PIP and other such special features. I simply want the best video and audio performance in a high quality player.

Manus

Second Unit
Find it strange Denon have sat in the wings this past year not even clearly confirming a preferred HD format and then come out with a $2k 1.1 ( as opposed to 2.0 ) profile non Dvd-A or Sacd or Internet offering (tho pretty good looking ;) ) player like this :rolleyes

Dont think they'll sell too many of these but at least it proves Denon are HD-alive , ...kinda

~M~

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
DVD-A and SACD are dead. I don't see the point in including those.

The internet offering is an oddball but not a deal breaker. Personally I like the idea of my movie player NOT BEING connected to the internet.

I would predict Marantz is going with them. They always follow Denon but usually a year later.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Respectfully, Shane, not only do I disagree but I'm getting tired of seeing these kinds statements about high resolution audio that are factually not true. There are boutique jazz and classical labels--patronized by those who buy $2,000 DVD players--still releasing DVD-A and SACD. There is of course the Genesis catalog being released on SACD.

Even if both formats were "dead" (and what exactly does that mean--few/no new releases but a not insignificant installed base of players . . . kinda like vinyl?), there are still plenty of guys like me who have significant high rez libraries that they'd like to be able to play on the same machine they're playing their high def movies on. Denon has supported SACD and DVD-A with fine, recent players such as the 2910 and they should continue that support in their high def machines.

I found Stinziano's high def format bet hedging interesting:

"Denon remains committed to offering our customers the most options in ultimate-quality home entertainment products and to this end, our future plans do not preclude the introduction of high-definition products in other formats."

Certainly sounds like they're leaving the door open to support HD DVD.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
If it was $1000, hell yea, id bite. I will be happy with my $500 Sony 300 for now, even if it has some quirks.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Is it true that this player will only be profile 1.1?

I don't think I'd want to drop 2k on a player that wasn't fully up to 2.0 spec. Imho, if this player can't be updated to profile 2.0 via firmware upgrade, then Denon should push it back a few months. Also, where's the ethernet port?

I really was stoked when I heard Denon would be taking a dive in the HD arena, as I really expected this to be the best HD player (spec wise) on the market, but it seems kind of anti-climatic. Since Denon is known for their audiophile sensibilities, DVD-A/SACD support would've also been nice at this pricepoint.

The press release said that Denon would be open to other HD possibilities, I sure hope they make a Universal player with specs for both sides fully maximized. It will be interesting to see how the forthcoming Onkyo/Integra compares to the Denon spec-wise when it arrives this Fall.

I do agree with Tim though, it's gorgeous with it's brushed aluminum plate. It almost reminds me of my old 2900 - - -before the Toshiba HD-A2 and Oppo 970HD replaced it in my rig.

Real Name
David McLeavy
Hi,

We are looking for a blu ray player for our screening room. The Denon DVD-5000 Player we have been using stopped playing DVDs after 12 years of use. BTW it still plays CDs! So the boss wants to go Denon again. Has anyone heard if this player will output 24p? We use a JVC HD2K projector for now, but since we do 95% of our work in 24p, weather its film of Digital Cinematography, we want to stay as native as possible. So the JVC might get switched out at some point too. I think we'll wait for the next generation 24p JVC though.

Thanks for any info.

Regards,
Dave

Cinematographer
Aurora Coast Productions
AuroraCoast.com

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I agree that HD DVD doesn't have something of the caliber of Pioneer or Denon in the near future, but for mass market appeal, that these formats will require if they are to survive, Denon and Pioneer Elite have little to offer.

I am a self proclaimed Pinoeer Elite elitist, by the way, and when the 3rd gen Elite gets released, I will upgrade my Panasonic BD player.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am seriously looking at replacing my current Yamaha RX-V995 with a new Denon receiver. And am very tempted to save the money for a Denon Blu-ray player. The Denon would replace my current Sony BDP-S300 and I am very excited that Denon decided to go Blu-ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks