Denon AVR1804

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Shawn N, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

Just seen this reciever (Denon AVR1804) on sale at GoodGuys for $249. I always read about people looking for good quality recievers for lower prices. I'm no expert but think this is a good reciever at that price. Anybody agree, or disagree?

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Refurbs are $287 at ecost, so I guess that's a good price. I don't know how much lower than $249 you can expect to see it, especially if there's a 1604 and 1404 below this model.

I warn you though that it has no preouts so upgrading by adding amps later is an impossibility. I'm surprised Denon hasn't included that in this model, since it is 3 models up from the bottom.

If it suits your needs, current and future, it's probably a good buy. Enjoy!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That's a superb price for a very good entry-level AVR. I have the previous year's 1803 operating my bedroom system, and it's a terrific-performing little unit. Since an upgrade path for that system is irrelavant, its lack of pre-outs is a moot point. Also, the 1804 has been well-reviewed in the A/V press. Its build quality is typical Denon, which is to say among the best for a mass-produced AVR.

4. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

Just to update. I went to GG today and they only had the display left. So they sold it to me for $209. Hopefully it works out for me. At that price I can't go wrong.

Shawn

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

WOW! That is a very good price. There goes my one year trade-in value option[​IMG]...... I hope you enjoy your new receiver as much as we have enjoyed our 1804.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Shawn, just curious: I take it you've connected a complete A/V system before. Reason being, the owner's manuals that Denon provides are horribly written and confusing. They're terrible. I don't see how a newbie could make sense of them. An HT veteran should do fine and simply connect without referencing those atrocious manuals, which is what I did.

7. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

My first home theater setup worked perfectly the first time I set it up. I used the Denon manual solely and had no problems. Seemed quite clear to me what to do [​IMG]

8. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

Jack,

I've never hooked up a home theater system. This will be my first. Going out to do my post 4th clean up and then I'll start to hook everything up. I'll be back with questions I'm sure.

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Plugging it in is easy. Figuring out how to make the receiver do what you want to do with what you plugged in is often the problem...

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I believe it is a class-winner (5 stars) in the current issue of What HiFi? (UK), beating out units from Yamaha, Marantz and Pioneer.