What's new

Denon AVR-5700 power problem (1 Viewer)

Tommy_R

Auditioning
My denon receiver has been great ever since I first purchased it on amazon years ago....but a few weeks ago it started to act funny and bad.

I was watching a dvd at about -15 to -20, then all of a sudden the receiver just shut off and red light started blinking, I had to go and press the power switch and turn it off then on to go back on again, but it would come on for a split second then repeat the same process of shutting down. It seems like an amp problem to my speakers because if I have the volume to OFF it won't switch off on me, i can pass through audio from multi-out to my tv and video with volume OFF perfectly still, but if i raise the volume higher than -40 it starts turning off, wtf? I can't play anything loud anymore, -40 is not loud. What's wrong with my receiver? Did it blow a fuse?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What’s the blinking red light indicating? It must have a label of some kind associated with it.

The first thing I’d check is all the speaker wire connections. If you have bare wire connections to the terminals, a single stray strand touching the other speaker terminal can activate the receiver’s protection mode. This is true for both ends, the receiver and the speaker. Also, on the receiver end, if a stray strand from the positive terminal touches the chassis, that could also trigger the protect mode.

Another problem might be if your speakers are 4-ohm, and your receiver isn’t rated for that. It can play fine for a number of years, but eventually the amplifier section will fail. Same thing if your speakers are inefficient and require a high volume setting.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jgrav

Auditioning
Real Name
James Graverholt
My Denon AVR 5700 won't turn on either. The manual says to check either shorted outputs or cooling. Mine won't turn on when cold, so only thing they say is the outputs. Took a meter to all the speaker leads. No short. I have seen several posts on other websites about this problem and nobody has the answer. They all say "probably damaged something internal".

The only "reset" I know if is the memory reset. When turning on, you hold two buttons in and get a default setting. This didn't work either because the set still went into "red blinky mode".

I checked for licensed repair facilities and the nearest to me is 200mi.

Hope someone knows what's going on because I have heard about several 5700's having this problem.

jgrav

Auditioning
Real Name
James Graverholt
Gathering more information on this problem, I think Wayne has hit it on the head when he said 4 ohm speakers will fry it sooner or later. I found that my speakers were 4 ohm. The 5700 is rated 6-16 ohm. Of course, when I bought the system (at a very high end Hi-Fi store) they sold me those 4 ohm speakers for the 5700. Go figure!!!

MarkAtwell

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Atwell
My two cents. I've owned an AVR-5700 for probably ten years and have been running two NHT 1.3 speakers in parallel as center channels (above and below TV). That's definitely a low ohm load but it's run very well over the years with no overheating or shutting down even at some high volumes on ocassion.

But recently I'm experiencing a problem wherein when the unit gets too warm (at least that's my guess) it
cuts the preamp signal way down (I say "preamp" signal as today I used the preamp out connections and experienced the same problem using Adcom power amplifiers) but does not shut it off. Flipping the mute off and on sometimes brings back the full signal or simply letting it rest (read "cool") for just a bit. When the signal does come back the unit works just fine with either the internal or external amplifiers running the speakers.

I'm thinking my problem may be the fan (or its thermostat) as it was not running when the signal was cut down after extended higher volumes. Perhaps using the external Adcom amps allowed the Denon to run longer as its own power amps were not helping heat up the internal circuitry. I'll probably try checking into a fan/thermostat replacement if I can get some good advice somewhere.

dino0

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
HERE IS THE CHEAP EASY FIX - DIY

I had exactly the same problem with shutting down at higher volume and it turns out that both fans were not working and therefore overheating. There is a "tunnel" inside the 5700 and two fans. One brings the air in at the front bottom and the other is exhaust out the back. I attached an external 120vac 4.7" fan to the back where the opening is for the "exhaust" fan. It has a manual speed controller and is plugged into the switched outlet on the receiver. The fan is made by circuit-test and has 106cfm at full speed, but I have the speed turned down to keep it quiet unless it will be cranked way up all day. Now it can be cranked for all it is worth and will not shut down. It does not even get hot at all now with constant airflow!

you could figure out the problem and fix the fans but if you do not want the hassle then just do this and it will keep cool all the time!

Giuliano Brunelli

Auditioning
hello all, i seem to have a similar problem on my good old AVC-A1D / AVR-5700, i swapped the fans for new ones but stupid me lost where the fan connections are!

could someone provide me with a layout or explain me where i can connect them or maybe give me some kind of assistance?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks