What's new

Denon AVR-4802/5800 remote - Prontowannabe? (1 Viewer)

Timothy J. Trace

Auditioning
Greetings:
I've heard it said that the Denon AVR-4802/5800 remote is a Pronto wanna be. My question is, is the Denon remote even in the same ballpark?
Best regards,
Tim ==

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Pronto doesn't do RF. You can't control your components from anywhere in the house.
The Denon has USB and I think it looks cooler. But many swear by the pronto so phillips must be doing something right...

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Timothy,
I don't know about wannabe....but it is touchscreen IR/RF capable. I love mine, but then again, I haven't even seen a Pronto.
The Aktis remote is very capable, very sturdy, and has very good readability. They are a bit thicker and heavier than your traditional "hard key" R/C....but it fits my hand well.
The battery holds a charge forever and as mentioned, you can be anywhere in your neighborhood and control your receiver :)
Jeremy

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
In my opinion the Denon Aktis remote is the worst designed LCD remote that currently exists. I have tried the old Marantz units, and played with a Pronto and some of the HomeTheaterMaster models.
Although the Aktis is now much more useable (it's had 2 software/firmware upgrades since it's initial release), it is nowhere near what the Pronto is. Customization is what the Pronto offers, and that is where the Aktis is sadly lacking.
I will give the Aktis points for it's RF capability, but I'ld gladly sacrifice that if I was offered a Pronto instead. Even a Pronto TSU1000 is more customizable than the Aktis. I will eventually pick one up (or one of the new Marantz units), but in the meantime I use the Aktis. It hasn't managed to replace all my remotes, but at least it is somewhat useable.
For more info feel free to check out the Denon Flagship Receiver forum over on EZBoard. There are many threads with comments on the Aktis remote. The forum is located at:
Link Removed
You should also take a look at RemoteCentral, which is in my opinion the authorative site for remote reviews and info on the web. It can be found at:
http://www.remotecentral.com/
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

I own both a Pronto (the old TS1000) and an Aktis. If it's any indication, the Aktis sits unused in a drawer and I (we) use only the Pronto. The Aktis is too limited in its flexibility and programming. I'd never have spent money on it, but it came with my receiver.
Go with the Pronto. You won't regret it.
Ross

Users who are viewing this thread