What's new

Denon AVR-4520CI is coming soon (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Sure! I'd point you towards the Onkyo TX-NR3009/3010 or 5009/5010. Both of those have Audyssey MultiEQ XT32.

jimboman

Auditioning
Real Name
Miha S
Would a 'Sub EQ HT'-less reciever and two subwoofers on a Behringer Feedback Destroyer give the same result?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Not exactly. The BFD can correct very well for both of the subwoofers and will correct most frequency issues - but what it can't do is correct the subs independently in the time domain. Part of what makes SubEQ-HT (and all of XT32 for that matter) so amazing is that it can eq multiple subs independently to align them in the time domain with your mains (in addition to DSP targetted frequency response correction). Prior iterations of Audyssey could do this for your mains only and a single sub - and had much lower resolution.
So - all that said - my experience has been that the best combination is a subwoofer that has PBK (Paradigm's PerfectBassKit) or a BFD with good filters (from REW) and then an AVR with XT32. You correct the subwoofer first and get the FR as level as possible, then proceed to run Audyssey and you'll be wowed by the results.
Hope this helps!

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
SineDave said:
Not exactly. The BFD can correct very well for both of the subwoofers and will correct most frequency issues - but what it can't do is correct the subs independently in the time domain. Part of what makes SubEQ-HT (and all of XT32 for that matter) so amazing is that it can eq multiple subs independently to align them in the time domain with your mains (in addition to DSP targetted frequency response correction). Prior iterations of Audyssey could do this for your mains only and a single sub - and had much lower resolution.
So - all that said - my experience has been that the best combination is a subwoofer that has PBK (Paradigm's PerfectBassKit) or a BFD with good filters (from REW) and then an AVR with XT32. You correct the subwoofer first and get the FR as level as possible, then proceed to run Audyssey and you'll be wowed by the results.
Hope this helps!
I differ with Dave....I've had terrible results in my room with BFD/Audyssey MultiEQ XT combo by flattening the sub response in REW first and then running Audyssey on top of it. Audyssey makes a mess out of it. And I've left no stones unturned for over a year to get things going with BFD and Audyssey, but to no avail at least in my room.
I reckon you try Yamaha receiver coz I think yammies have the option to skip sub out from YPAO setup so it doesn't mess up with your BFD filters. I had Yamaha RX-V3900 and used to skip subwoofer from auto calibration so my BFD curve stayed untouched and gave me perfect house curve at least in the money seat.
I think 02 subs in different locations flattened with BFD is the best alternative to using any version of Audyssey. MultiEQ XT 32 is no exception. I have experienced and experimented countless times.
Just my 2 ruppees.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
BraveHeart123 said:
I differ with Dave....I've had terrible results in my room with BFD/Audyssey MultiEQ XT combo by flattening the sub response in REW first and then running Audyssey on top of it. Audyssey makes a mess out of it. And I've left no stones unturned for over a year to get things going with BFD and Audyssey, but to no avail at least in my room.
I reckon you try Yamaha receiver coz I think yammies have the option to skip sub out from YPAO setup so it doesn't mess up with your BFD filters. I had Yamaha RX-V3900 and used to skip subwoofer from auto calibration so my BFD curve stayed untouched and gave me perfect house curve at least in the money seat.
I think 02 subs in different locations flattened with BFD is the best alternative to using any version of Audyssey. MultiEQ XT 32 is no exception. I have experienced and experimented countless times.
Just my 2 ruppees.
If you've only ever tried with XT - I could certainly see if being an issue. In my opinion, XT does a pretty mediocre job with a subwoofer on its own, but XT32 is just a whole different animal. Which receiver are you using today?

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
I started with Yamaha RX-V363, didn't like it and replaced it with RX-V3900. It was an amazing avr and used it for 8 months. I realized its value after I replaced it with Onkyo 809; but to my bad luck I couldn't get it back. I am an extremely critical listener. Yammy 3900 had tremendous channel separation and clarity. The moment I plugged in Onkyo 809, lack of channel separation was the very first thing I noticed. I swapped my receiver mainly coz of the over hype of Audyssey as opposed to YPAO and the so-called High Current Power Supply in onkyo. Which proved nothing but a marketing gimmic and gave me tad more power. I will always now take mass market AVR power ratings with a grain of salt.
The biggest flaw in Audyssey is that you cannot change the curve if you want to personalize the sound. Also, one cannot skip the sub from speaker calibration in Audyssey. YPAO in 3900 offered this feature. I could set the BFD filters on sub and tell YPAO to skip sub from auto setup. That would give me a perfect hard-knee curve in the main listening position. With Audyssey, it is a total and complete mess coz it starts applying its own filters on top of BFD ones. I've had horrendous results.
MultiEQ XT 32, in my opinion, is no different. It only offers dual independent sub EQ with greater resolution. That is technically of little to no use. Coz cluttering ultra-low, low, and mid-bass regions with plathora of filters won't yeild any greater sonic benefits and will greatly colour the sound. As regards the time alignment aspect of Audyssey for sub EQ, you can achieve the same in REW BFD filters if you closely observe waterfall graph and keep an eye on RT60 values while creating filters.
I've had terrible results with Audyssey MultiEQ XT for sub EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks