What's new

Denon AVR-3808CI: An Overview (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll jump in and agree 110% with Ron, the Harmony One is an outstanding remote. Moreover, it has huge SAF (spouse approval factor), with my wife completely at ease with it.

As an example of its ease of use: I added an Xbox 360 to my system in Sept. I told the Harmony System I had a 360, it created a new "Activity" for me, walked me through the settings selections, and in five minutes, the 360 was integrated into the control scheme.

A few weeks ago, I swapped out my Sony CRT for a new Pioneer Plasma. Went into the Harmony Software, deleted the Sony, added the Pioneer, and I was done.

The next week, I had completely reconfigured all my receiver and TV audio & video inputs. Again, the Harmony software walked me through the selections, and I had the remote reconfigured in a few minutes.

It is a dead simple remote and I don't know how people get by without one
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I am definitely set on a Harmony remote, I just don't know why I would pick the "One" over the "880". They seem like they are almost exactly the same, and the same price, too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Though they are programmed exactly the same way, there are
significant differences.

The Harmony 880 is a fine remote, however it has been substantially
improved upon with the Harmony One thanks to the fact that Logitech
did a lot of beta testing with people like you and I who gave extensive
feedback about everything from the ergonomics of the remote to the
placement of the buttons.

Additionally, the Harmony One features a very robust touch screen
in combination with hard buttons compared to the 880 which is all
hard buttons.

The 880 always had particular flaws such as fitting soundly in
the docking station. The other widely reported flaw (which was the
reason why I ultimately bought the ONE) was the number keys no
longer working after extended use. This problem was reported by
quite a few people.

Really, if you are going to invest the money in a remote you will
enjoy using for years, I would say grab the ONE over the 880 without
hesitation.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Marc, take advantage of the coupon at 6ave.com. I purchased it yesterday late in the evening. The coupon is found in the other area of this forum. I hope this helps.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I agree. However, I got a good deal with an e-coupon which expired back on Jan. 29 I believe. Anyhow, I am very happy with mine.

Ciao.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
It is exactly what I paid for my Denon, and I am not associated with 6ave.com and free delivery on top of this great price with no taxes. ;-)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I just bought the iPod dock ASD-11R, and I was hoping to see videos as well as music from my iPod, but when I play a video, all I hear is music, but not video. Does anyone has this particular dock? I read the specs for this particular dock,and I should be allowed to watch videos too. I wonder if I have incorrectly set up the iPod. The video input of the iPod is an S-video whereas the output from the receiver to my TV is all HDMI (to a Sony KDL-40XBR6). Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry, but there was a bad connection in the back of the receiver; however, I cannot see my pictures. Now I am able to see the videos.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think that dock may not be fully compatible with the newer ipods.

"with plug and play simplicity, you can easily connect your iPhone, iPod Classic, Touch or Nano to your Denon music or home theater system, and enjoy command and control via your Denon component’s remote control."

i guess it hsould work.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4443.asp

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
According to everything I read, I should be allowed to see video and photos, but nothing shows. I left a message at Denon web site to see if I get any answer from them. I posted this same message in another forum, but nobody seems to have not even a comment. Anyhow, thanks.

P.S. Sorry, but there was a bad connection in the back of the receiver; however, I cannot see my pictures. Now I am able to see the videos.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To me the difference is obvious: the One is designed for human use. The 880 is built for robots
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Pick them up and look at and feel the button layout. The One has a sane button setup, with good space between them, buttons of shapes and sizes appropriate to their use and importance, and a generally sensible layout.

The 880 has the designed-by-engineers feel, with a dense grid of identical, non-differentiated set of square buttons. There is no space between them. My impression is that the designers don't actually use remotes, let alone their own 880.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I got my harmony one, and so far I love the looks and feel of the remote. Yesterday, I set it up to do everything I need for the moment (since I am planning to move within the next two months to a new apartment), but when I tested the set up activity to turn TV, it did not work as I thought it would.

Activity: Watch TV
1 - turn on cable box (it worked)
2 - turn on TV (it work)
3 - set TV thru component 1 (it did not work)
4 - turn off tv and cable box (it worked)

What I did to test 3 was I left my TV on HDMI3, and turned TV off. The cable box was off already. Thus, I was expecting that when both the TV and cable box were turned on by the remote, the TV would also switch from HDMI3 to "component 1", but it did not do the switch. Does anyone have a similar set up? Anyhow, I manually went and switched the input to "component 1".

Thanks and ciao.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
This problem got resolved by adding a "power on delay" of 13 seconds to the "Watch TV" activity.

Ciao!

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I wonder what I have to do to connect my xbox 360 thru components to see it on my TV. I connected my xbox 360 to my denon, and my denon is connected thru component with R/L audio to my TV, but I am yet to see xbox dashboard on my TV. I guess I am getting all confused with so many unfriendly menus options from Denon. Could someone tell me what I need to do? I also plan to hook a Nintendo Wii thru components, and then a PS3 thru HDMI going with HDMI to the TV. Let me add that I live now in a slightly better and bigger apartment, and in my old apartment, I had no problem connecting the PS3 via HDMI, but I seem to be stuck when I do this thru components with R/L audio. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ciao.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks