What's new

Denon AVR 3805 problems upon reconncection (1 Viewer)

LarryR

Agent
I disconnected all of my audio/video equipment to paint the wall behind it. I reconnected and had trouble with the AVR, but not the TV or DVD. Tech support suggested resetting the AVR (reinitializing), which puts it back to factory settings and then do a new setup. I no longer could use SVideo or any other connection for OSD, nor could I use the input button (IMode) to change from multi to PCM to DTS. The composite connection from my DVD to AVR no longer worked. Tech support now feels that the unit had a surge problem upon reconnecting and/or resetting and I have to send it in for repair. It is under warranty, but I have to pay shipping to the repair center and it will take about 2 weeks. Has anyone ever had this problem with a Denon? I do use a surge protector. Does anyone disagree why this happened?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Larry,

It’s hard to tell you anything specific because you really didn’t give us any information that can help us determine the problem, like how the components are connected. For instance, the fact that you mention using both composite and S-video suggests that you don’t have things connected correctly.

The first thing you should do is make sure all your cables are good by connecting the DVD directly to the TV. Once you’ve verified that all your cables are working, you can add the Denon to the equation.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Basically, just what Wayne said. Sounds like something got connected in the wrong place? It happens, in more ways (& more businesses) than you could count. Start with verifying point-to-point function (DVD to TV, etc.) Heck, first verify how things are connected. Yeah, I know they're all right, but go back and disconnect everything (which you're going to do anyway for the point-to-point part) - you just might notice how something got crossed the first time. You're going to verify all the other components (and wires) one at a time. While everything's disconnected, reset your AVR . Then piece by piece reconnect/rebuild your system - and the important part here is to test fully after each new piece is connected. Time consuming, but a lot quicker than 2 weeks in the shop.

LarryR

Agent
I am sure of my connections because I used Tech Support to go over it with me. I had the DVD and AVR pulled out, so that I could see the connections. I reconnected many of the plugs. I called back Denon tech support and they were the ones who told me to send it in for repair. The coax. cables goes from the output coax on the DVD to the Coax 1 on the AVR. S-Video for OSD goes from the S-Video out of the AVR to the S-Video in on the TV. I appreciate all of your help. One thing I notice is that no-one seems to feel it was a surge that caused the problem. Hmmm, wonder why Denon tech support felt it was???

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Larry - I'd guess most of us figure it's connection-related 'cause we're all (too) human and have all done that at some time in the past. There was nothing in your original post that even hinted of any power surge. In my case, I'm also a little wary of surge claims given some of the past posts here & elsewhere. Yes, it does happen but most better gear (& I'd include Denon in that) has implemented reasonably good power handling that usually limits effects from trivial surges.

Now having said that, I have had one specific surge-related incident in the distant past. It was not AV equip. but a PC. And it wasn't an outlet-related issue but a static arc (wool carpet, cleaning, etc.) and in the days before I used top-notch power protection for everything. That was rare. Even lightening hasn't (yet) caused any issues w/ AV or PC gear here, so I tend to discount surge claims - unless maybe they're based on static electricity (and even then I'd have thought that the reset would have settled that anomaly).

Only thing I can suggest is to re-verify your AVR settings for OSD & the upconverting to S-vid (assuming your references to coax didn't mean S-vid). That, plus disconnect and reconnect everything - and I really do mean everything - and then do your setup from scratch. I know that makes no sense, it's stupid, it's almost just superstitious, but that has worked more than one time in the past and is cheaper than $45 and quicker than 2 weeks. Good luck!

LarryR

Agent
Tim,
I agree with you about doubting that it was a power surge. I am a PC enthusiast and here in Hawaii we have a poor electrical company. We get power outages all the time and surges all the time. I have never had a power surge cause any problems with my computer equipment, nor my AV equipment. Of course, I use a powersurge control for all of my electrical equipment. I still could not get the items mentioned (previous post) to work. I shipped the Denon AVR off today, via FedEx. It will be interesting to see what happens when it is returned; or if they call me when they test it. I will keep everyone informed.

randomuser548

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Hi, you said you reset your receiver, how did you reset it. What I mean by that is what buttons did you press because mine needs to be reset but the Denon office is closed right now. Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
15 INITIALIZATION OF THE MICROPROCESSOR When the indication of the display is not normal or when the operation of the unit does not shows the reasonable result, the initialization of the microprocessor is required by the following procedure. 1 Switch off the unit using the main unit’s power operation switch. 2 Hold the following PURE DIRECT button and DIRECT button, and turn the main unit’s power operation switch on. 3 Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons and the microprocessor will be initialized. NOTES: • If step 3 does not work, start over from step 1. • If the microprocessor has been reset, all the settings are reset to the default values (the values set upon shipment from the factory).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks