What's new

Denon AVR-2802 vs. Marantz SR-6200 vs. Yamaha HTR-5490 (1 Viewer)

Nick V

Second Unit
I am new to the board and have a question for you all. I currently have a Marantz SR-6200 and have been experiencing problems with it. I am currently on my 3d unit and am considering the other two models that I have stated.
I have Paradigm Monitor 11's as Fronts, the Paradigm CC-370 as a center channel, and Polk audio Satellites as the Surround L/R/C. My subwoofer is the Energy S10.2
I am looking for some input into which receiver is the best for a 50/50 balance of home theater/music.
BTW, I am pretty much limited to these three brands since those are the main brands carried by the store where the receiver was purchased.
Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hey Nick!

Well, the HTR-5490 is pretty similar to the RX-V1200 and I have compared the 1200 with the Denon 2802. For music I felt the 1200 was warmer and had a fuller range. To put it simply, it sounded way better. I ended up getting the RX-V2200, but the differences between the 1200 and 2200 is minimal. Yamaha is also known for a very solid product with exception quality control.

Anyway, you really should go listen to all those amps and see which one sounds the best to you.

- Mike

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
i agree with mike totaly. i too compared the 2802 to the 1200 and thought the 1200 sounded WAY better. it was really not close at all. i than compared it to the 3802 and still preferred the 1200 (the 3802 is a huge uprade from the 2802 though). of course this is all very subjective. i also went with the 2200. i liked the remote better and the extra power as well as the multi room rec. feature. i will say though for some unknown reason the 1200 sounded a tiny bit better for music over the 2200. still don't know why that was but whatever. anyway, if you decide to go yamaha i would look at the rx-v1200 model over the htr-5490. they are the same exact units but ther 1200 has pre-outs (if you want to add an amp) and has a removable power cord. not huge things but i like to think for the future as best i can with these type decisions. at any rate good luck on your decision.

Norman L

Second Unit
Evan,

Listen to both and decide, as for watts of output running all channels based on Sound and Vision review the Denon 2808 with 5 channels running rated 74 watts the Yamaha 1200

with all channels running 50 watts. This might not matter to you but I thought you might want to know. If it is not the amp it is the power supply that is better in the Denon.

You can compare the listed features given in the specs on your own but not the watts while running all channels.

Nick V

Second Unit
Thanks for the input guys.
By the way, how do you think that the Marantz compares to the Denon and the Yamaha?? I could always stay with the Marantz.
It's a hard choice to make!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
If you really like the Marantz you could give it one more try. I was in the same boat as you. I went through three bad units from Sept - Dec last year, took them all back, then listened to the Onkyo 797, Denon 3802, and Yamaha 1000. None sounded as good as the 6200 for music. I ended up going back to Marantz, but I waited till March for them to get the bugs out. My new 6200 is fine.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome Nick.Marantz is having a lot of problems with the 6200/7200 series.It's too bad because to me they simply sound better than the Denon/Onkyo/Yammies.I have a Denon,but I'm counting my loonies for the Marantz 8200.I'd try one more time to see if you can get a good unit.Ask your store to order you a new one from Marantz instead of one out of their stock.Rumour has it that they have fixed the bugs and the new units are O.K.

My $3.2 cents.Good luck.

Wayner

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I confirmed with Cambridge Soundworks at least, that all of their current stock of Marantz has the "fixes". I don't know if there is a date or way to tell which are the new units, but most dealers should have fresh stock by now.

I auditioned the 3802 vs the 6200, and went with the 6200. Music sounds quite a bit better, though I will likely step up to an 8200 also. I have had my 6200 since the week they hit the store shelves without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks