What's new

denon avr 1912 (1 Viewer)

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Iam noticing when listening to tv that at the beggining of spoken words there is a little exageration when the word actually comes out and i really cant say what it sounds like but it sounds weird and am looking for any help for a noob at this

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Paul,

Can you describe how your speakers are placed, what brand and models, and how you set them up (did you use Audyssey and if so how did you do it)?

What is the source of the soundtrack and how is it connected to your Denon?

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Thank you for getting back to me.........
I have a 7.1 setup (2) energy cb10 (1) energy cc10 (2) energy cf 70 (1) energy esw m6 sub (2) klipsch ks 25's. My rears surrounds are the klipsch behind my couch and my front surrounds are approx. 3 feet away from front towers and my sub is on the left side of my towers. I ran audyssey and to be honest im not to sure if ive set up my frequencies up right ive got all of them set to 100hz and all set to small i didnt mess with lfe and it is still at 120. Not to sure what you mean by soundtrack but my cable box is hooked up to it by optical cable and blu ray is hdmi as all the rest are hdmi hook ups.....please excuse me if im uncertain of some of your questions so please bare with me... If you need more clarrification please let me know......

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Couple things to read over and double check.

First, check out this speaker layout guide from Dolby. Check to see if your speakers are close to this. The surrounds should be on either side of you and slightly behind you. It sounds like you have yours in front of you. While you are at it, double check the speaker wires to make certain you have the +/- correct at both ends.

Next, check out the Audyssey guide in my signature (link). There's tons of good info in there.

I also recommend you look at this "Denon to English Dictionary" page. It makes the crazy Denon manual a bit easier to understand.

One thing that may be happening here is Audyssey is making things worse. This can happen if it is run incorrectly (like putting the mic too close to a wall or on a pillow). You can try turning it off just to see if things improve. Then read the guide and try re-running it. Report back the results - 100hz may be a bit high. LFE should stay at 120 hz (there shouldn't even be an option to change it).

Does the issue with the sound happen for both your cable box and the bluray?

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Thank you. What would you reccomend for frequencies for my speakers to accomodate a midrange sound.

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
I only notice it once in a while but yeah on both bluray and cable mostly bluray but not all spoken words do i hear an extentsion its almost like an extra hiss or to much trebble im not sure how to explain it. Ive noticied a difference already after turning off audyssey. If i hear it from bluray and cable is it possibly my speakers as aproblem or faulty or my reciever? Ive never really had it beyond -09 before. And would a power conditioner help? Is there anything that you could tell me that i can do to see if my speakers or reciever are at fault?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it acceptable without Audyssey?

I'm guessing something went wrong when you ran Audyssey the first time. Placing the mic too close to a wall (or any reflective surface) could cause this. I would re-run it using a tripod and follow the tips in the guide.

There may be a separate treble control you can play with too. I'm not positive how the Denon works (sometimes these controls are disabled when the EQ is on).

The other possibility is it could be your speakers. I'm not saying they are defective, it may be just how they sound. How long have you had them and have they always sounded like this?

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Just getting back to you and as of now i really dont hear that sound anymore and im sure i hear some of the imperfections in these speakers as iam using a optical cable but its a cheap one and does this reelly have a big effect? Ive put my freqency at 80 hz is this still to high or should i go lower and audysessy is off as well. I went and picked up a tripod today and will be setting up tommorow or friday. And is it better to setup the frequencies for each group of speakers individually or all together such as fronts center and surround and rears? Youve already helped me out alot and appreciate the help, wish i could buy you a beer!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Paul,

Don't spend tons of money on cables. Uber expensive does not mean better no matter what Mon$ter tells you.

When you re-run Audyssey it will determine your crossovers. Based on the manufacturer specs, 80-100 hz is about right. We can generalize but nothing beats measuring in your room (which is what Audyssey does).

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
When audyssey sets the crossovers do i leave them where they set them or do i set them because as ive seen before it sets my fronts at 40hz and my center at 40hz and surrounds at 40hz and rears at 60hz. ....arent these too low. ...whats a good idea in your opinion as to how high or low to set these at ? Was thinking of getting a power center any good ideas as to what would be a good one ?h

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Let's see what it sets them at when you re-run it with the tripod.

You should keep the center that matches your mains. If Energy has a better center that is timbre matched to the mains, then it would be okay. Check with Energy to see what they recommend.

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Hello David....
Sorry for the long reply been real busy but anywY Ive rerun auddy and it seems to have worked and am not hearing that annoying noise so thanks for that info and i used tripod this time. I have a new question for you.... Should i be using lfe+main setting when setting my front to small or shoul i set just lfe with no main.... My xo is set to 80hz for all or should i set them lower? Thx for helping me youve been a great help

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's good news. Glad it worked.

lfe +main means you are sending the lower frequency to both your mains and the sub. Ideally you want only the sub handling this. It takes a huge load off of the receiver and allows the mains to do what they were designed to do (not bass). I suggest lfe with no main.

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
It set my fronts at fullband.. Center @40hz.... Surrounds @40hz...... S.Backs @ 100hz.....thats what the parameter check informs me..... Ive got the fronts set at 60hz and the rest at 80hz is this okay or should i reset to something else. Thx again for the help

chefp2010

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Hello david im a bit confused after reading batpigs guide because it states that you should not lower the crossover points below what auddy sets them so if auddy set my fronts at fullband and i set them to either 60 or 80hz wouldnt that imply that im lowering them beyond what auddy set them at because it also states that it leaves a hole in unfiltered frequencies and again thanks for help with all my newb questions. And is it normal for denon recievers to get a bit warm? Thxs

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You'd be raising the crossover level. Since you currently have no crossover you can think of it as set to 0. There's almost never a good reason to keep the mains at full when you have a sub (even a small one). But bottom line is you can't hurt anything, so try it and see if you like the sound better, if not switch it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks