Denon AVR-1912 Receiver. Workaround for Wi-Fi.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BluHT, May 16, 2012.

1. BluHT

BluHT Extra

I recently bought a Denon AVR-1912 Receiver. I would like to provide internet access to it through my wi-fi network so I can easily access firmware updates and try out its online services. However, I understand the receiver does not have a wi-fi dongle, just an ethernet port.
    I've also heard that there are ways to "work around" this issue, though I don't know how. What are the specific ways to work around the absence of a wi-fi dongle (aside from using a hardwired Ethernet connection)?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You would need to either provide a wire to it or use a commonly available wireless bridge attached to your network. This is not a work around, it is a standard practice when trying to add wireless connectivity to devices that only have wired connections.

3. BluHT

BluHT Extra

Someone recommended I try using a Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPBRRW/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
    It does seem to be the best solution.
    Questions: Does it work with Apple's AirPort Express, which is what I use to go wireless?
    Also, I don't see warranty information for Netgear adapter on Amazon's product page. Do you have any idea of what the warranty details are (e.g., length, etc.)? I see some of the refurbished devices come with a sixty-day warranty.
    For this product, I'm considering a refurbished item. (Right now, I don't really see connecting to the internet through the receiver very often so, with $25 in question, I'm willing to take a risk.) Does anyone here own a refurbished copy of this product? How long have you had it and how reliable has it been?