Denon AVR 1912 problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by keithl1967, Jun 3, 2012.

1. keithl1967

keithl1967 Auditioning

I have noticed an issue with my Denon receiver, and the "media share" option.
    When I first purchased the receiver and set it up in November, I had no issues with the networking on the receievr--I was able to update firmware, utilize media share, internet radio, and Pandora without issue, using the GUI.
    I tried Friday to listen to music from my network via the media share...I tried several times, but every time I selected mediashare, the GUI wen t away (all I got was an "unusable signal" on my TV for video, and the receiver would not pick up the network using the on-screen (on receiver) menus either.
    After trying to update firmware, the connection kept timing out, coming up uabel to connect.
    Both my router sees the denon as connected, it had a valid address wihtin my network, etc.
    A couple hours later, I tried again, and this time, it connected, updated firmware, and the GUi was back and media share fully functional.
    I though my problem was solved...I tried this evening to listen to music once again, and the GUI is gone, and the mediashare, and all other network issues are not functioning again! My router says the device is connected, and the denon menu says that it is connected when I check the network setup...
    What gives--does my unit need service...this is very frustrating for a 6 month old unit for the money I paid!

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hi Keith,

I know that last year's models were plagued with problems
    concerning network connections.

I have one of last year's models (AVR-3311). I have yet
    to have problems connecting for firmware updates, but
    then again, I have not done much with the networking other
    than downloading those updates.

However, hearing about these network problems is not
    a surprise. I did a lot of research on the Denon receivers
    prior to purchase and knew there was a small chance I
    would get an affected model.

I am huge fan of Denon. Have owned nothing but Denon
    receivers over the past few years and have enough
    confidence in them that I was willing to buy despite the
    reports of malfunctioning network components.

Are you under warranty? Denon has service centers
    across the country that will repair your receiver.

3. keithl1967

keithl1967 Auditioning

so you think it is an item that is need of repair?
    That's what I was afraid of...
    It should still be under warranty--i think it came with a two year factory warranty on it, and I just purchase dit in late November/early December 2011...only about 6-7 months in...
    What si the best way to contact Denon about the issue?
    The interesting thing is that ther eis network connectivity (I can turn the thing on/off/etc using the "web interface" form my computer--clearly it is on the network, it just craps out whenever I try to use any of the multimedia options...

4. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Keith,

I can only assume, based on history with recent
    Denon receivers, that is the problem. Once you
    contact a Denon service representative they may
    have a solution to the problem other than bringing
    it in for service.

Contact Denon

Service Center Locator

Please keep us posted about your progress.
    It serves to help others that may have the
    same problems.

Good luck, Keith.

5. keithl1967

keithl1967 Auditioning

Canned Denon--they had me reset the unit.
    Everything works again, but had to go through the setup process again...Hope this does not happen very often!

6. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Phew!

That's good news. Did you figure that on your own or did
    Denon support ask you to do that?
    I really think, despite the problems you had, that you will
    really enjoy your receiver.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Keith. Hope you stick around
    with us and talk about the movies you watch.

7. keithl1967

keithl1967 Auditioning

The Denon Tech support did suggest that, but the initial conversation was not encouraging...
    They asked what it read on the Receiver screen when I was getting the green TV screen (at some point, the "unusable signal" message changed to just a green screen), I toled them is simply said "not enough 00:00" Their response, as well as the "senior tech" response was that they had never seen or heard of that before, but that they have a "test unit" in the shop that they will "play with" to try to re-create my error message!
    At any rate--thanks for the welcome, and hopefully I can look forward to many years of my receiver--it does sound awesome!

8. NaturligaRussin

NaturligaRussin Auditioning

I have also the above dilemma, in my case I have experoienced it with NET/USB. The GUI on the Denon it self shows there is connection but nothing is visible on my SONY LCD TV .
    I can get the stream started and the latest internet radio station to play, but I can't change the station.
    I tried resetting the AVR-1912 and the problem disappeared for a couple of weeks only to reappear again. Very annoying. I have updated the FW to the latest as of June 2012 but the problem persists.
    I do not want to keep resetting the 1912 every other week!

9. joh2239509

joh2239509 Auditioning

Same problem here with my 1912 and like previous reply mine is with the Net/USB. Everything works perfectly with every other input but at times when I select Net/USB I get "No Signal" on the TV. Sometimes after playing around with things it corrects itself but so far I have had to reset my Denon a half dozen times, very aggravating! Three times on the phone and they have no clue what's going on. Told to take it in for service and closest place is 35 miles. This is my first Denon and I will not be purchasing them again. Will update if anything gets resolved.:rolleyes:

10. Number1AVdork

Number1AVdork Stunt Coordinator

If you bought it from a dealer take it back to the dealer and make them deal with your warranty headache. Dealers are better problem solvers than us consumers. If you bought mail order it's going to require sending out to Denon.

11. joh2239509

joh2239509 Auditioning

Great suggestion, I talked with Best Buy today and surprisingly they are willing to send it out for me for repair. I bought this back in Feb of this year and my previsou experiences with Best Buy have been horrible for warranty support. Now I only have to drive 10 miles instead of 35 to get it serviced :D

12. joh2239509

joh2239509 Auditioning

Ok I took my 1912 into Dyna-Tronics, the only service center in Phoenix. They were really nice and took time to really dive into the problem. All they could figure out was that it had to be software related and reset the 1912. Then they couldn't duplicate the problem again, which I'm not really surprised about. Back home now and it's working just fine. I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the iPad remote app that I use. Hopefully this doesn't become an ongoing issue.