Denon 5900 DVD and 3805 Receiver I-Link connection?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Simon Ngan, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a Denon 3805 receiver for my 2nd HT. Currently the 5900 DVD is in the primary HT using multi-channel analog for SACD/DVD-A.

I have cat5e cables going between the 2 rooms and I thought I'd give this I-Link a try by hooking up a Cat5 wire between the receiver and DVD 5900. However, they don't seem to talk to each other. From the 5900, I've enabled ILINK connection and my options are:

OFF
    2ND

I selected "2ND" whatever it means.

For 3805 receiver, I pick one input and select digital IN as ILINK but it shows NO SIGNAL.

I wonder if the cable length is the problem? I did confirm with a Fluke LanMeter that the wire is fine and it's a straight 568B cable.

I'd appreciate for your suggestions,

Simon

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The only link that will work with the 3805 receiver is the Denon Link (2nd edition I believe...that's where the 2nd comes in on the 5900) If you're trying to use the IEEE1394 firewire link from the 5900 to the 3805 it won't work. Not sure, but I would suspect that the Denon Link cable might be proprietary as is the link itself.

Mort

3. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

Mort,

I'm sorry as I meant the Denon Link which is the connection looks like UTP socket. I was using a normal patch cable but no luck so far. The distance is quite far away though - almost 100ft.

Thanks,

Simon

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Simon, try plugging the real Denon cable to see if it works. If it does, use your existing Cat5E wiring as an extender.