Denon 5803 owner, please confirm the weirness on the EXT in bass managerment!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TanD, Jan 15, 2003.

1. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

Today i was playing with the EXT in of the 5803 connect with the 555es SACD player using 5.1 analog out and Left right analog out to a CD analog input.

I set the EXT1 to DSP (to active bass management for EXT1 in). And I test with a 2 ch. SACD in direct or pure direct mode with EXT1, i find out no subwoofer activity at all.

then i switch to CD input (analog) with direct and PureDirect mode my sub is alive. (i know that sub can be switch to off in these mode but i choose to leave it on).

Then i switch back to EXT1 and try different dSP mode like stereo, 7 ch stereo, widecreen etc.. the sub come alive but i don't want any DSP effect on SACD material.

i somehome hit on the dobly button, now with EXT1 the sub also come alive but without apply any DSP effect at all, not even Dobly prologic or prologic II. on the display it only show MULTI IN 1, (no direct, stereo, or dobly etc....)

I find out it is so weir, and retest the above many time the result is the same.

i came to a conclusion that the DIRECT mode and PURE DIRECT mode on the EXT input is REALLY PURE DIRECT it basspass all the bass management (even i activate it for the EXT input). Is is different than the direct and pure direct mode of the L & R analog input . and when you want to use bass management for the EXT input without any DSP effect you have to press the dobly button (may be other) to activation the bass management for EXT input. NOT DIRECT OR PURE DIRECT mode.

Any Denon 5803 owner could you confirm this weirness of the EXT input bass management of the 5803.

I am scratching my head rightnow.

2. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

There is no weirdness. Activating the Ext input where possibly a full 5.1 cable setup is at start would have dramatic failure if in direct or pure direct parts of the signal would be processed again via bass management. Because this is already meant to be done by external decoder/DVD player. Problem is: The Denon does not know that you feed it only with a stereo signal.
    On the other hand, the classic inputs like cd, will process the signal in direct or pure direct completely unaffected by bass management with the exception that this time the input signal is splitted to a part that goes "pure directly" to the speakers and a part is digitalised to pass the bass management and run to the sub. This is as well a real pure direct pass thru.

3. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

Mike, thanks for your input.

all my speaker is set to small. and i know i am sure the sub is not off, and all speaker and sub are level match. You should know that that the 5803 allow bass management for the EXT IN if you want.

Oliver,

i understand what you are saying,

I test it with only stereo signal, because i want to test the bass management of the EXT IN (it hard to see the bass redirection with 5.1 source).

I activate the bass management in the EXT In setup menu to DSP (If i want to have a PURE PASSTHRU I would set it in ANALOG MODE in the setup),

I even test it with a 5.0 source with bass management enable for EXT but not no bass redirection at all on Direct and Pure Direct mode,

but with that dobly (may be other button) that will activate the bass management for EXT IN but WITHOUT DSP EFFECT (i am not 100% sure about this one), because the display is usually show what DSP mode you are playing, but with this button usually it show dobly prologic II, but it only show EXT IN, not Direct EXt In, or Stereo EXT in, ect.... if i choose stereo, 7 channel stereo,widescreen even THX MUSIC mode, the display would show what ever mode you are playing (this apply to EXT In with bass management activate).

I was hoping with Bass management activate for EXT In, and want use direct mode like the traditional analog with bass redirection when the speaker set to small.

That's why it is weird, the direct and puredirect of the EXT In with bass management activate, and the traditional analog input (with speaker set to small) are not aplly the same.

i just said it is wierd, but i actually like this feature because i don't have to go to setup menu every time i want to activate the bass management for the EXT, or to BY PASS it. If it really BY PASS (WITH BASS MANAGEMENT ACTIVATE) for EXTIN in direct or puredirect mode and not the other mode, I would just let it activate all the time and select DIRECT OR PURE DIRECT for a PASSTHR, and the other to use the bass management on the fly.

4. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

mike,

that's why i said is is weird, because it offer to activate the DSP (or bass management) in the system setup menu for EXT IN, if Direct and PureDirect work like what you said for EXT In, why bother to have that setup menu (to activate or not for EXT IN). Just use Direct and PureDirect for a PassThru, and anything else for bass management.??,

i just find out with bass management activate for EXT IN, in (plain vanilla) EXT IN bass redirection do occur, but not in Direct and Pure Direct EXT IN.

I really like this feature.

One thing i really want to know is that with DSP (bass management) activate for EXT IN, and in direct and pure direct, does it do and A-D conversion at all, if not i just don't understand why there the setup menu for the EXT In for Analog input, or DSP (to activate bass management).

5. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

ok thanks mike,

oh my bad i didn't read the manual so through out, just think the way it should work, Now it is clear to me. anyway thanks alot. I really like the this feature.