What's new

Denon 5800 upgrade or Pioneer VS49TX (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Todd,
No need for "what could've been," The 5800 is definitely a front runner, if not THE leader in 2 channel sound as far as receivers go. There are plusses with each choice, but as a concerned 2 channel guy, I whole-heartedly agree that the 5800 is the champ at this time.
Down the road, you will also find that the pre/amp section is very good if you add outboard amplifiers to your 5800.
Patrick,
Your suggestion of an MC-12 is a valid one, IMO. By the time you and I are ready to move on from the 5800, the Lexicons should be available for a pretty fair price. I think I saw a balanced MC-12 on Audiogon yesterday for $6500! That's a huge discount and they've only been available for a half a year. Someone was mentioning the other day to me that Lex is coming out with a little brother to the MC-12 down the road as well. My next upgrade will definitely be seperates....so I can join that ELITIST camp:)
Jeremy

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jeremy, I agree. By the time I get past upgrading to a new HDTV or FPTV, upgrading my speakers, and upgrading to multi-channel amps I'll be ready for either the new Tag or some Lexicon product.

I don't even think I'll by the 5800 upgrade at this point. How about you?

Patrick

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Yep,

I'm going to get the upgrade. I think my unit goes in next week. The big reasons are the improved DACs (which I already like) and the flexible bass management. I'm having a bit of trouble integrating my subs into the front soundstage, so having a 40 or 60hz crossover for the 802s will be sweet. I know that this can be done with the Outlaw ICBM, but internal is better at this point.

Also, I'm happy to be getting the THX Ultra 2 abilities. The improved power supply and just cleaning the inside out of dust will be a good thing as I'm a weenie when it comes to taking things apart.

It's a tough decision, considering you can get a stand alone pre/pro with alot of the same abilities (ie, the Outlaw).

Just another way to stay on top of the game.

Jeremy

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Alright guys, I went to see Clones last nite, greatest SW film to date IMHO, and this morning UPS delivered a heavy box woth a VSX49 inside. I'll try to post my thoughts on this reciever later tonite.

RajeeK

Second Unit
bat-like ears
Now that's funny. I'm not sure bats are a good example though. They generally speak to each other at a very high frequency. Wait, now that think about it, that would make perfect sense. Jeremy may have bat like ears that have trouble hearing low frequencies but are excellent at hearing high/ultrasonic frequencies. Thus he has trouble integrating the low frequency subs, since he may not be able to hear them at all. (Don't take offense Jeremy, I'm just playing with ya.):D
Anyone out there know what animal in the animal kingdom has the best hearing of all?

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"But I thought with your Rat Shack meter, bat-like ears, and skills you could outdo MCACC which wouldn't have a 'bit of trouble'?"

Paul,

You have a bit too much LOVE for MCACC. All I need is a decent crossover for my front end. Not MCACC. At this time, my mains are large and it sounds great, however, nothing MCACC could do for me at this time....because I DON'T HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE CROSSOVER!

Without an adjustable crossover, neither will work well on the low end...sorry that I assumed you knew this. Most that frequent HTF are aware of what an adjustable X/O allows as far as low-end integration.

Jeremy

Matt Abel

Auditioning
PatrickM,

The 49TX does have better DACS then the 47TX. If my memory serves me right the 49TX uses PCM1704's and the 47TX uses PCM1738's (both are Burr Brown DAC's). Just for reference the 5803 also uses the PCM1738's, but you get two per channel.

And just a quick question, is anyone using Revel M20's with either the 5803 or the 49TX?

-Matt

Chip E

Screenwriter
Jeremy,
I have my main's (PSB Stratus Silveri 's) set too large, crossed at 40... seems to work well for me. :D

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Matt, I was referring to the DAC's between the 5803 and the 49TX which you've confirmed are the same DAC's but with double the amount in the 5803.

Thanks,

Patrick

Robert George

Screenwriter
Patrick:
Check Matt's post again. According to this, the 5803 uses the same DACs as the 47TX (two per channel instead of one), not the 49TX.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Thanks Obi. I must reading backwards. I'll have to grab the spec sheet to see the differences in the DAC's.

Patrick

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Okay, just looked at the spec sheets on the Burr-Brown website and the 1738's look to be better than the 1704's. The 1738's are 24/192 DAC's and the 1704's are 24/96 DAC's which makes sense because the 5803 is 24/192 DAC equiped and it does state that the upgrade has 1738's in it.

So, why would the 47TX have better DAC's than the 49TX or am I reading the spec sheet wrong too?

Patrick

Jack F

Agent
This is a cut and paste from the comparison chart that Jeff from Denon sent us.

-----------------------------------------------------------

•24-bit/192-kHz DACs (AD-1853)2/8ch

5800 upgrade and 5803

•24-bit/192-kHz DACs with SACD compatibility (PCM-1704)2/8ch2/8ch

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks