What's new

Denon 4802 and external amp??? (1 Viewer)

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
I have my 4802 pushing all my 7.1 setup; would it make sense to use an external amp to power, say the fronts? or the rears? The way my HT is built, all components have their own "cubbyhole" within my HT wall; there is no spot for another amp; if I left it behind the wall, is there a way to control the volume on just it? thx

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Make sense? Depends on where you want to go and what you're using to get there. If your speakers are typical mid-fi's, you should be good with the 4802's amps. If you need some more juice to the fronts, a nice 2-ch outboard could get you some improvement. As far as volume control, most amps just crank on the signal they're given - the volume is controlled via the master volume control on the receiver or pre/pro. Integrated amps are a different story. Post your audio equipment and I'm sure you'll get some specific suggestions. Good luck.

Austin

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
I run NHT VT2.4s on my 4802 and I plan on getting a Sherboune 2 channel amp at first since 2 channel is my priority. Then L8R on, I'll get one of their 5 channel monblock amps for the center/surrounds. Then l8r on again, replace the 4802 with a pre/pro. I was at a hifi shop that had a 4802 and some McIntosh components side by side. While I was there they compared both setups and I couldn't tell a diff in sound. They both sounded great to me but I still plan on goin to seperates at some point. The 4802 is a great starting point though.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I have my amp volume set at max and use my receiver to control the volume of my speakers. The 4802 and a 2 or 5 channel amp should be one hell of a system:D
One amp that I've seen commonly paired with Denon is Parasound. Since you have the 4802 then I would be looking at the Parasound 1201A or the 2205AT.
Another factor you would have to consider in choosing an amp is the speakers you will be using.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks