What's new

Denon 3805 v. Onkyo tx-nr900 (1 Viewer)

Jason W

Auditioning
Alright guys. I'm driving a 7.1 Polk Lsi setup.
LSi 25 mains
LSi Center
LSi FX sides
LSi 9 Rears

I use my system for both music and movies. The two things holding the Onkyo afloat are THX & Neptune. On the Denon auto room calibration works nice, video upconversion a plus. Just wondering if anyone else had some opinions for me on these two recievers?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't really think either of those receivers is going to have quite enough power to drive that setup.

David Strand

Agent
Am I crazy? I can not find "the Polk forum" on this website. I know hometheaterspot has manufacturer forums... where are they on this forum?

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
Hey Jason,
Good choice of speakers and receivers to drive them. Both receivers are advanced in their surround sound processing and have ample power to push the woofers in any of those speakers you listed.

The Polk LSi25's are an excellent foundation to a home theater system especially because they feature a built in 10" powered subwoofer. The only drivers that the receiver will have to power are the dual 5.25" woofers and the a 1" tweeter. That I would say is not a tremendous driving requirement.

The rest of the speaker requirements (C, and Rears) are also equally as easy to drive as the LSi25's.

I would pick the Denon since it has a advanced Room Correction, Bass Management, and other features. I do think however that the Onkyo sounds better, a little more on the warm side of the spectrum. The Denon is a little on brighter side of things.

Kha:T

Agent
I was in the same situation just about two months ago. I was looking at the same two receivers you're looking at now. IMO, both receivers have plenty of power to drive any speaker setup for home theater. For the kind of money they go for, they HAD better be powerful enough.

I was going to go for the Denon because it's a newer model than the Onkyo and has some other features that the Onkyo doesn't. But I decided to go with the Onkyo because I had a deal I couldn't pass up (only $950 - tax included & full warranty). I figured that I could live without the features on the Denon that the Onkyo doesn't have and saved a couple hundred bucks.

Both are nice receivers. You wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Shiu

Second Unit
I agree with John, based on the published specs., at least get a 2 channel 4 ohm capable power amp to drive the mains. Between the two, Denon seems to be a more popular choice for Polk users.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Both of these receivers will have very good processing, but these speakers will dip very low in impedance, I would DEFINITELY go with external amplification for some or all, or a better receiver for these speakers. I would not call these speakers "easy" to drive, powered subs (25s) or not.

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
Hey,
I know the demands of speakers as well as the next guy but the day a receiver with as much power as the Denon, and Onkyo can not drive two 5.25" woofers and a 1" tweeter, is the day I stop listening to these wanna be audio know it alls.

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
Hey,
I know the demands of speakers as well as the next guy but the day a receiver with as much power as the Denon, and Onkyo can not drive two 5.25" woofers and a 1" tweeter, is the day I stop being interested in Home Theater all together.

Get either the Denon or the Onkyo and you will in hog heaven. If later you decide that your room is larger than your speakers have spl for, or you want more clarity, etc, then maybe you may want to get an external amplifier.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The size of the driver does not somehow mean the whole speaker will not draw plenty of current. Not to mention they are 4 Ohm speakers, and dip quite low in impedance. The tweeters alone in these speakers require a good amount of current to play WITHOUT DISTORTION.

My speakers have specs not unlike LSI9s - they are dual 5 1/4 with 1" tweeters, 4 Ohm, 91.5dB sensitivity, and my 120wpc Marantz receiver still has a tough time with them at elevated listening levels, which is why I went with monoblocks for my mains. I can tell you from EXPERIENCE that this setup will tax even a receiver of this level and potentially run the risk of frying tweeters if pushed too hard. Do you really think I would say something like that without having a reason?

Shiu

Second Unit
Play it safe, email Polk and ask them if they would recommend these receivers for those LSI speakers. I bet you they would recommend pre/pro/amps, or high current (not instantaneous like HK) and truly 4 ohm stable receivers such as NAD, B&K, Adcom etc. I do agree, however, that something like a Denon 380X will do fine as long as you don't push them beyond normal listening level.

Jason W

Auditioning
Gee I hope i'm not starting some type of feud. Nah i know it is all in good humor. John, I am curious what brand mono blocks do you have? & if I was do add separate amps what brand names should I be considering?

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
John,
Sorry if I come off a little forward. I really do not mean too. Maybe I am just venting. Too many times guys are looking for sound and simple advice about Home Theater equipment and they are given advice that would make me scare if I just got into the game.

I just wanted to give the guy some advice that sound sound and simple. I do understand that the speakers have a low dip in their impedence within certain frequency ranges, bu overall even Polk design the speakers to be driven by a system centered around a receiver.

If you find that in the end you want a separate amplifier, after listening to the Denon or Onkyo, THEN so be it. But please take the crawl before you walk approach to home theater, you'll save your self money in the end. Many a person who had a powerhouse separates based system, have downgraded to a receiver based system without much loss in dynamics, clarity, soundstage, etc for many reasons.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No feud, just info :D I do think this system will work with either of these receivers, but depending on the room and listening level, it could be an issue. As long as you turn it down if you hear distortion, you won't damage the speakers. I'm not suggesting you should go out and buy an external amp right off the bat. I agree, you should try it out first, then decide if you really need more power. I tend to opt for more power, rather than just enough - because you can never really have too much power, but I see too little far too often. As Shiu mentions, something like a receiver from NAD, Rotel, B&K, etc... are very worthwhile to give a listen to.

Jason, I have Marantz MA500 monoblocks, which are 4 Ohm stable, for my mains (125w@8 Ohms, 180w@4Ohms). Depth and detail improved noticably with them. Start with the receiver, and see if it will be enough, then consider amps. There are plenty of good choices that are relatively inexpensive. I don't think it's necessary to have amps for every channel, just off-load some of the receiver's work for a few channels if you find it necessary. If there will be an emphasis on music, or clarity is a necessity, I'd be looking for more power.

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
I do agree with the idea about looking to other manufacturers such as HK, or NAD especially, since I know they handle lower impedences better than most mass market receivers.

If you indeed figure out that you need external amplifiers. Look at getting at least (3) 200 wpc monoblocks, or get a three channel 200 apc amplifier. You really do not need amplifiers for the rear (whether 5.1 or 7.1 channels).

Man John, isnt home theater filled with so many great options. Many more than there was in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks