What's new

Denon 3805... Turn in 3803??? (2 Viewers)

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Yogi, I have copied and pasted the following from a review of the 3802 from Home Cinema choice Online:

MUSIC APPRECIATION
LAB REPORT

Manufacturer's rated output: 7x 105W RMS

Max output at onset of clipping: 138.3W RMS @ 1% THD

Fidelity firewall output: 128.7W RMS @ 0.09% THD

Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz ±0.4dB

But let's get to the crux of the matter - performance. Not surprisingly, it's comparable in tone and timbre to the original 3801. And that's no bad thing, of course. The 6.1-channel modes are by far the most impressive, creating a richer surround atmosphere than conventional 5.1, and drenching the soundstage in gloriously sharp effects that send shivers down the spine.

Given a choice between this and the earlier AVR-3801, it's clearly worth splashing out the extra £50 more for Dolby Pro-Logic II, which marginally pips Neo:6 for the most convincing stereo sourced surround output. There's real definition to the surround channels that vanilla Pro-Logic lacks. It's also worth noting the extraordinary muscle on offer. Our fidelity firewall test, designed to identify the amount of undistorted power available, measured the 3802 at 128W in stereo mode. This is no pantywaist performer.

On a purely musical note, CD replay is mature and easy to listen to. I aired a range of material, including delicate, moody jazz by Miles Davis and thumping upbeat disco from Jamiroquai, and found that the 3802 maintains a consistent purity and warmth.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is how good the receiver is in two-channel mode. Not only are there astonishing power reserves but the stereo delivery suggests you're at the higher end of the market. The original 3801 was the must-have receiver of last season, and while the competition is hotting up, I've no doubt that the 3802 is now the model to beat. It features a dazzling array of sound capabilities, great build quality and a personality that will bridge the gap between high-end luxury and midrange accessibility.

------------------------------------------------------

So, as you can clearly see, the 3802 is definitely no slouch power in terms of power, especially in 2 channel stereo mode.

But, if I may ask, where did you see that the 3803 and/or 3805 only hit about 50 watts per with all channels driven simaltaneously?

Yogi

Screenwriter
For the 3803 go here:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/test...onAVR-3803.php

and note the output at 4 ohms drops to 25Wx5 at a really high distortion level.

I take that back for the 3805. For some reason I thought 3805 also had similar output numbers, but maybe I am wrong or I can't find the site that I must have read it on. I'll be on the lookout and if I find it I'll post it here.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Well, that certianly shows proof that the 3802 was indeed more powerful than the 3803, from the exact same source's measurements nonetheless.

Still, the processing of the 3803 has got to be better. It just makes the case to add an amp or amps to the 3803 just that much stronger.

I recently recomended to a friend setting up their first 'serious' system to get a used 3802 over a new "open boxed" HK 525 because I felt that despite being a generation older, the 3802's processing was still better than the HK 525's while still having equal or higher power.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Steven- I think Mark is right. Adding an amp to your 3803 would be an upgrade not matched by the 3805. I don't know what the price difference would be between these two options but, I doubt that it would be that much difference. Amps are like true love, they last virtually forever and it's something you'll always have no matter what you do in the future.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I have the 3802 with a Parasound 1205A in my family room and the 3803 in the loft by itself. The 3801 and the 1205 sounds much better to me. There is simply no contest.

But if someone wants to buy my 3803 I would upgrade in a second.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will most likely use the 3805 as a pre/pro and take adavantage of all the bells and whistles on it. For myself the 3805 is a big step forward to my Yamaha 995 and while the 3805 does not have dvi or hdmi it will still do the job. If I am not mistake and correct me if I am wrong. Isn't the only product that has dvi outputs a small number of dvd players for the most part. I realize that hdmi is said to be what is going to take the place of dvi but where are the products. How many dvd players really have dvi or hdmi outputs right now. Are there any hd satalite recievers or d-vhs that have these outputs? If any one knows please let me know because I would love to hear about it. The new 5805 would be a really nice addition to my ht but does anyone know what the retail might be on that peice and when it might become available? IMHO the Denon 3805 will redifine the performance barrier for the $1200 range and other companies will ether match it or try to surpass it by offering more for the same price or even lower. This will for sure be a win win situation for all of us that have home theaters. For the money i feel the 3805 is the best option out there currently and that there is not very much compition to match it. I would recomend this reciever to anyone I know unless they are looking for something more high end. :D

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The 3805 has much better DACs than the 3803, IMO. Big sound quality improvement.

EDIT maybe not?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'm hearing sometime later this year and it will probably cost around the $4000-4500 range. I'm saving my pennies now since I'm thinking about upgrading my 5800 with it.

Crawdaddy

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Hmm, I guess I heard wrong.... I heard the 3805 used the same DACs that were in the DVD-2900. Are they all the same?

Mark All

Second Unit
The 3803 and 3805 receivers use the same DACs. For 8 channel inputs, 16 Burr-Brown PCM-1791 DACs are used. For 2 channel inputs, Burr-Brown PCM-1804 DACs are used.

The 2900 uses 16 Burr-Brown DSD-1790 DACs (necessary for SACD compatibility).

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ah. I thought I read somewhere that the 3805 used the DSD-1790. I guess I misread. Sorry!:b In any case, I still think the 3805 sounds way better than the 3803.

Chris_Cur

Agent
I currently have the 3803... do you guys think I would be better off upgrading to a 3805 or adding an Outlaw 7100 amp instead?

Yogi

Screenwriter

Go with the amp, IMHO. The prepros of both are identical and any difference in the output powers of the two receivers will far be surpassed by the separate amp. Dont waste your time chasing formats. The most important discrete formats are already in the 3803.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Jason, sorry it took me so long to get back on this.

The 3802 has a 32 bit processor, while the 525 has a 24 bit. While not being the equal to the 3803, it also probably has superior DACs to the 525. The preamp section on the 3802 measured very good while the 520's did not (have not seen anything on the 525 though).

The power amp section on the 3802 is as strong or even a little stronger than the 525's, plus it has a 2 channel 'direct' mode.

The 525 does have some advantages, specifically the triple bass management system and at least some form of logic 7, but all in all, I feel the 3802 is better, much less the 3803 or 3805.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks