What's new

Denon 3803 Surround Back/Zone 2 Question (1 Viewer)

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:

Talk about wanting it all! I have a Denon 3803 that is currently driving my HT system. I currently have a 7.1 set-up, utilizing two side surrounds and two back surrounds. I now wish to add two new speakers in another room and utilize the Zone 2 feature. The problem is, as far as I can gather from the manual, I must choose between Zone 2 and Surround Back. However, I do have an open pair of speaker outputs with my 7.1 set-up. The 3803 offers a choice of Surround A or Surround B for the side surrounds. Could I run my new speakers as Zone 2, and use both Surround A and Surround B simultaneously? Or would this make me lose my "back" channel? Thank you in advance for your input.

NickB

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
"Could I run my new speakers as Zone 2, and use both Surround A and Surround B simultaneously? Or would this make me lose my "back" channel? Thank you in advance for your input."

NO. If you run surround A+B all 4 speakers will get the surround signal, and you will not get the surround back channel.

The 3803 only has 7 amps. Since you want 7 speakers in the main room you will need to buy a seperate amplifier for the Zone 2 speakers and hook it up to the Zone 2 Preouts.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Brian, and thank you for your response. Your response makes clear that I must use the Surround Back channel to get the Surround Back effects, but is there a way of wiring both Surround Back and Zone 2 and switching back and forth?

After my post, I realized that I left out some important information. At no time will I ever need to have the 7 speakers in the home theater room running at the same time as the 2 Zone 2 speakers. It will always be one or the other. Does this change your opinion?

Again, thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate the advice.

Nick B

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Your 3803 has front A & B speakers. Can't you wire your zone two speakers as the B speakers, then using the front speaker button on the face of the 3803 to toggle between the two?

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
DAMN! Should have gotten the 2803! Problem would have been solved. How about some sort of speaker switching device? Is anyone here familiar with brands they would recommend, or that I should stay away from?

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks