Denon 3802, what happens to rear channels on...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Cain, Jul 28, 2001.

1. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

I am looking at the new Denon 3802 receiver.
    A also plan to put four surround speakers in my room.
    What happens to the rear channels (not the side surrounds) on non DTS-EX or Dolby EX type DVD's???
    Is there some mode that can take normal 5.1 Dolby or DTS 5.1 and make a quasi rear channel out of the surround information???
    That would be nice, and would allow me to get greater use out of the rear channels.
    Thanks!!
    -- John
    ------------------

2. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

also, can you use just 1 rear speaker with the 3802, or do you have to have 2 rears connected?
    Since the rear signal is mono, for my room that is longer than it is wide I was thinking one single dipole in the rear would work well.

3. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Hi Paul, thx for the reply.
    I plan to use two rear speakers, since I have two rear columns, if I used one I'd have to place it outside of those columns..
    -- John
    ------------------

4. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

You can have the 3802 matrix decode the surround back channels when listening in DD 5.1 mode.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

You can use DTS-ES matrix on any DTS 5.0 or 5.1 track and their matrix 6.1 mode for any Dolby Digital 5.0 or 5.1 track(the quality of the back surround effect will vary depending on the activity in the l/r surround channels).
    I believe there is also a mode that lets even Prologic or standard DD and DTS (if you don't want to extract a back rear channel) rear surround channel(s) get duplicated in the center back speakers for a bigger sound spread (left side gets duplicated in left rear; right side gets duplicated in right rear).
    Dan

6. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Cool !!
    Thx Dan..
    -- John
    ------------------