What's new

Denon 3802 & DPLII (ProLogic II) (1 Viewer)

Mark Tomlin

Agent
Can anyone explain to me i(in layman's terms) exactly what DPLII (ProLogic II) is and how it will enhance my system/sound? I currently have a Denon 3801 and am very happy with it but a friend has offered to take it off my hands at a great price if I decide to purchase a 3802. I'm not willing to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading and want to make sure by upgrading I'm getting performance head-and-shoulders above what I am currently experiencing. Thanks for your replies.
------------------

Joe_Papeo

Stunt Coordinator
DPL II is Dolby's new improved DPL. With the original DPL, not enough audio was being sent to the center/surround channels. DPL II has improved that dramatically.
DPL II is not going to change the world. Its main use will be for watching television programs. If you listen to them through your receiver it will dramatically improve the audio sent to your rear channels.

Vin

Supporting Actor
If DPL II is your only motivation for this upgrade, I would say don't waste your time. I recently did this and found it to be only slightly better than the old DPL....kind of disappointing actually. It's not quite as center channel heavy as the old DPL and also adds stereo surround channels but is nothing to write home about......IMHO.
------------------

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 3802 and after some testing DPL2 is slightly better than the DTS Neo:6 you currently have on your 3801 but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money upgrading on it.
------------------

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I recently got an Onkyo 696, which has DPL2. I've found DPL2 to be substantially better than DPL, at least compared to my previous, older Onkyo.
The music mode provides the best five-channel stereo effect I've heard (not that I've hear many, though), and I generally prefer it over normal two-channel stereo. The movie mode has clearly improved TV and videogames. I haven't tried any DPL movies yet, but I expect it would be nice.
As others said, it's probably not worth buying a new receiver for, but if you're looking for a new receiver, it's worth considering one with DPL2.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
You'll also find a signficant sound difference in the 3802 compared to the 3801, according to quite a few who have upgraded from the 01 to the 02.
Apparently Denon has returned to what I call the "warmer" Denon sound. A friend of mine upgraded from the 01 to the 02, although I haven't heard it yet.
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks