Denon 3802 and Dynamic Compression

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy_N, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Stupid question but I can't seem to activate the Dynamic compression on my Denon 3802. I wanted to watch Atttack of the Clones late last night without waking anyone.

I have my reciever set to Dolby Pro Logic II and the Word Digital is lit up, however the light for DD and/or DTS is not lit. When I press the Surroung Parameters button it give me the option for Cinema EQ but not for D. Comp

The manual says that the source must be DD or DTS. I have DD selected on myb DVD player. I'm using an optical connection.

I also don't see the LFE (Low Frequency Effect) option?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Tom

PS - Wouldn't it be funny if I haven't been using DD all along?

2. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tommy,

I think that Dynamic Compression only works when the receiver is running in Dolby Digital the display on your receiver should read "Dolby". Did you make sure that you werent listening to the 2 Channel track? My Denon automatically switches to PL II when a 2 channel track is detected. Go into the DVDs setup and make sure youre using the 5.1 track, the display should now read Dolby and Dynamic Compression should be available when you hit the surround parameter button. I hope this helps.

3. Tommy_N

Jason,

I'm a little confused. I have the DVD set for DD 5.1 The DVD input is set as my digital input.

The only option for Dolby comes up as Dolby Pro Logic II and the word "Digital" is lit but the DD light is not lit.

It sounds like 5.1 but I still haven't gotten my test/calibration disk yet.

Any thoughts...Thanks

Tom

4. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tommy,
    Now I'm confused to.[​IMG] Do you have the input mode on the receiver set to Auto? Maybe you have it set to PCM. My 1802 has Auto,PCM,DD, and DTS as input options I just leave it set to auto all the time and then whatever stream I tell the DVD player to send it detects it automatically. I'm sure you've already done this but is your DVD player set to output Bitstream? I'm pretty sure that digital light on the receiver just lights up to say its receiving a signal over its optical or coax inputs and doesnt have anything to do with the actual stream its getting. It really sounds like your DVD player is set to PCM instead of Bitstream so the receiver is not actually receiving a Dolby Digital signal. Even when I play the rare disc that only has a 2 channel track its still usually encoded as Dolby Digital and the little Dolby Digital light above the Digital light also becomes lit. Does DTS work for you? Because if it doesnt its definitely the DVD player. I hope this helps you get it figured out.

5. Tommy_N

Jason,

Either your a genius or I'm an idiot. Or a little of both.

My DVD player is a couple of years old and I forgot it has 2 menus. The regular one (which I knew about) and the set-up menu.

Problem solved.

Thanks

Tom

Wow - that really explained a lot.