What's new

Denon 2910 Owners: Reviews/Thoughts/Adjustments (1 Viewer)

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Steven: can you name a few reference discs for PQ and why?

Related to DVD 2910, I have to report that when playing Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" DVD Audio I don't have access to the Bonus tracks. When I press enter, to get there, it takes me back to the main menu.
I know my disc is not defective because I have it played in my DVD Panasonic RP82 and I had no problems accessing bonus tracks.

¿Can someone else confirm this problem?

Octavio

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
1. The Fifth Element: Wide variety of textures and an almost cartoon-like palette of wild colors, remains an industry standard for demos.

2. Once Upon a Time in Mexico: Shot on high-def video, displays crisp lines, deep colors and darks, and plenty of detail. Portent of future movie technology...

3. Finding Nemo/Lion King/Monsters, Inc.: Computer animation at it's most advanced. Masterpieces of clarity, depth of field and vibrant colors.

4. Seven (Platinum Series): Retweaked from the origional negative shot by shot to produce a superior, well mastered DVD for all around PQ.

5. Final Destination 2: Immaculate modern transfer with a rock solid image flaunting strong blacks, and impressive contrast.

6. Starship Troopers (Superbit): Appropriatley dark where it needs to be but also colorful at times, this transfer looks smooth and natural despite the abundance of CGI. Its sharpness doesn't betray the special effects.

7. Star Wars AOTC: Pioneer for high def video filming, digital through and through for a percise, grain free live-action image on a grand scale.

8. LOTR (ALL)/Gladiator: Impeccable video and audio, both are astounding...
Thanks to Chris Chiarella of HTM
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
On another side note:
I've also taken the plunge into "Back Lighting" to try and obtain a top-notch picture. I've thought about it in the past but never pursued it.
You've probably thought it was hard getting help back in the States at Home Depot or whatever your local hardware store is named, one word "NOT" !!!.
First thing is, over here in Sicily it took three stores to find an appropriate florescent light fixture. Eventually I ended up with what could be compared to an under the cabinet type fixture I picked up for 20 Euro, but not only did I have to by the fixture its self, I also had to buy the plug, bulb and the damn cord :angry: !!! so in all actuality expenses totaled 40 Euro or so, then I had to come home and throw it together. Needless to say the wife was a bit shakey when it came to plug in time. But things went smooth and I now have a "Day Light" 900 Lumens florescent light mounted on the back of the Sony. Have yet to throw in a disk to watch with the normal room lights out and the backlight on due to the fact my Mom's here on vacation and I've been running all over Sicily all day :)
Just wanted to throw it out there and find out if any of you all had tried this out yet and what your results have been. It's kind of odd as I look at it, seems a bit bright to me, are their guidelines as to how far you should see light radiating onto the walls?, should it reach the ceiling? Hmmmmm, who knows, I guess we'll see !!

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

Octavio,
I went out and picked up "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" today and the first thing I checked was the bonus tracks, not a problem getting to them, just highlighted the selection and bingo there they were. You might want to take the disc in and exchange it for a new one.... Even if you don't the only track worth a damn was the acoustic version of "Candle In The Wind"......

I too recently picked up a 2910 unit. It was replacing a 2815 (which was an open item, and displayed fuzzy text in progressive mode, weird...).

Anyway, I've never used SACDs or DVD-A before, so this play was my first experience with it.
The only disc I found at the store that I was familiar with (and owned on CD) was "Megadeth:Peace Sells, but who's buying" :)

This disk had DVD-Audio 5.1, Stereo, and DTS mixes. I listened to all three. I "think" the DVD-A mixes sounded better to me than did the DTS mixes, but more so in volume levels to individual speakers. I don't know if this is a setup issue for me on the 2910 or not. (As I said, I've no prior experience with DVD-Audio).

There is an "extra" on the disk which allows me to select DTS or stereo, and is supposed to be tracks with various mixes of one of the songs on the album. "Drums & Bass", and "Rythem, no Drums" etc. However, I've been unable to get any sound of it at all! (Tried, every input setting on the 3805 I could find. Ext-In, PCM, DTS, Auto. No sound! Defective disc? Defective user? :b

(The 2910 is connected to a Denon 3805 Receiver. Optical Digital link, Analog L/R & Ext-in from 5.1 analog outs all connected to the reciever from the DVD player.)

Really? I thought it sounded pretty good. I just hope I can find titles I wish to own. :) My tastes are not normally in sync with pop music. :p)

I guess I need to search online for DVD audio stuff.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
If you like older Metallica, the Black album is well done in multichannel. There are also multichannel offerings by Ministry and NIN, if you like that sort of thing.

Martin.

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Well I'm finally back with an update regarding my experience with Denon a la the Fawlty Towers DVD and the Queen DVDA. I was in regular contact, for a while, with Denon then they just stopped responding to my emails and disappeared. After calling the retailer where I bought the unit (who were none too pleased with Denon about this) I suddenly received a call stating that they didn't know what was wrong and have sent the issue to Japan. When asked why my emails were ignored the response was "I'm very busy"(!) Now how's that for excellent customer service?! Regardless of what they may or may not now be doing it's too little too late for me and the player is going back today. What's next? Maybe the upcoming Yamaha 2500. Anyway good luck to all of you that still have the 2910.

Happy Holidays!
Dave

ArthurCrandall

Auditioning
Hello, this is my first post, and I hope that someone can help with a problem of mine.

I have a component video connection between my 2910 and a 4:3 analog television. The problem is that when I am viewing letterboxed DVD material, there is a thin white horizontal line at or just below the bottom of the film - the line is close to the divide between the film and the lower black bar. (Actually, even when I am watching something with 2.35:1 ratio, the white line appears where the bottom of a 1.85:1 film would appear.) When I experiment and use the Video Setup to change my TV type to Wide (16:9), then the line disappears, but the images are squeezed, regardless of whether I have the squeeze mode on or off. The white line is still there when I use an S-video connection instead.

I determined that my unit's firmware is version ESS6720-4, and have contacted Denon to ask for the newest version, which I believe ends in -5. Does anyone know what the problem is, or whether the firmware upgrade may solve the problem? What is the upgrade from -4 to -5 supposed to do?

Thank you.

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator

Arthur:

According to Denon, Version ESS6720-5 of firmware will install HDMI version 1.1 and make DVD-Audio menus viewable when using DVI output. This is it. Maybe it corrects other things that Denon doesn't like to report (like green push or the problem you are reporting). You can download version 5 from Denon website and see.

Octavio

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone hooked their 2910 up to a Hitachi 51SWX20B? Just curious as I picked up a 2910 Saturday and was wondering what kind of improvement I can expect over my old Panny RP-91.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Is there anybody out there? ;) I guess everyone's watching/listening to their 2910, right?

I'm finally getting around to hooking up my 2910 and had a few questions that are not answered in the manual (imagine that).

First, I will be using the digital coax out for watching movies, but will also be using the analog outs for high-rez music. For high-rez music, I will only be listening in 2-channel. That being the case, should I use the FL/FR outputs in the "5.1ch AUDIO OUT" analog section or should I use the L/R outputs under the "2ch AUDIO OUT" analog section?

Second, is there any difference in video quality in using a DVI-D to DVI-D connection vs. a DVI-D to HDMI connection?

Thanks!

Matt Brighton

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the itch to buy a new player, but only if it has an improvement in Picture Quality. There was a review for this player in "Home Theater" magazine (I think that was it), but my question is this:

I'm using component only, via my receiver to my TV. Would this player be the one to get or not? I'm looking for a good mid-range player and one that produces great picture quality (I could care less about the DVD-Audio, SACD, etc.). Or would an older Denon 2200 or Denon 2900 be the one for me? Again, I won't be utilizing the DVI or HDMI at all.

Thanks any and all help would be appreciated. Also, if this wouldn't work, anyone know of any players that might? Currently I'm using a Mitsubishi DD-8020 player, which I have no complaints with but you don't know what you're missing until you see it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks