What's new

Denon 2910 Owners: Reviews/Thoughts/Adjustments (1 Viewer)

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
Dave-A,
The menu under the ETC. screen for disabling "Display" is in reference to the "On Screen Display" on the television. If you turn it to off you will no longer see items such as "Play >", "FWD >>", etc on the display's screen.... To disable the display on the player use the "Dimmer" on the remote.... Sorry just read your post again and that's what you were reffering to..Hmmm I have yet to turn it off, will take a look tonight when I get home and let you know.....

Oliver,
The read speed isn't anything to brag about, but it's not slothish either. Faster than the DVB-318, I know for $700 it should read like lightning, but what's a couple of seconds.......

Octavio,
As for PQ, I'm very impressed and surprised your disappointed. When using your DVI interconnect I'm assuming you calibrated it separately from your component, most need to be calibrated separately. Do you have any type of Scan Velocity Modulation on your set that needs disabled. What video menu settings are you using? Are you upscaling to 1080i, if so use progressive in menu and setup to video 3 for type, if viewing "video based material". See if that helps. The only other PQ stuff I've heard about is someone who THOUGHT they might of had some green push, I've yet to hear back if their problems were resolved or if it was even an actual green push problem...

Axel,
So far so good as far as stuttering goes for me, I've had my 2910 for three weeks and have watched just about every top rated movie for eye candy and have yet to see a stutter. From movies shot in high def, to remastered classics such as Star Wars and "El Buono, El Bruto, El Cativo". Will keep an eye out. It seems your not alone concerning a stutter, I've seen other reports, have you tried an exchange for another unit. Worth a shot!!

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator
Dave A:

I tried to turn off screen display (play, pause, etc.) from the etc sub menu but I couldn't. So I figure your unit is not defective and you found a bug. Let's see what others find.

Steven:

I did calibrated separately using AVIA disc. I will set Velocity Modulation to OFF and see what happens.

Robert:

I decided to return DVI Monstercable. I ordered dual link DVI cable from Blue Jeans Cable website (cable is made by AV Link, Inc) and see if PQ gets better.

Thanks,

Octavio
Octavio

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

This is a must in my opinion. All SVM does is add artificial edges which has the same effect along the lines of your "Sharpness" control except 10 fold. The Sharpness control might have been useful in the 70's and 80's but in my opinion and that of many others only adds artifacts to images, thus degrading and altering the image your suppose to be seeing. Today's displays don't need SVM or Sharpness, but I'm sure there are those who still think it better defines an image, but drawing an artificial line around something does not improve or better define an image on most of today's display devices!!...

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
Addressing the "Display" issue under the Etc tab...

This will not remove or hide the operating action of the DVD player on your monitor screen !
What this refers to is when you have the display of your 2910/3910 set to off using the dimmer button on your remote and have "Display" set to "On" in the menu you will see the display on the 2910/3910 reflect your actions...
When set to "Off" the display on the 2910/3910 will not display the current actions and remain inactive/blacked out...
Hope that clears things up! :) not a bug!!!

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for explaining the DISPLAY ON/OFF thing. Still a little confusing though :P
Anyway, on to more important things. This player seems to have a problem with the QUEEN - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA DVD-A. I have tried my copy plus a friend's and they both skip at random spots each time they are played. All the other DVD-As and SACDs I have played have been perfect. Can anyone else test this out so I'll know if it's just my player or something that needs to be addressed by Denon?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Another problem to report :frowning:
Disc 1 of the Fawlty Towers DVD set will not play episode 4 properly. It doesn’t start at the beginning and continually freezes. I think this unit is going back.

Dave

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator

I tried these MLP 5.1 tracks from the Queen DVD-A on my DVD-2910:

Track # 7 Seaside Rendezvous,
Track # 8 Prophet's Song,
Track # 11 Bohemian Rhapsody (listened to two times) and
Track # 12 God Save the Queen

No problem, no skipping; and fantastic sound stage. I don't have HDMI, video is through component and audio is through 5.1 analog.

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Thanks Jigesh,

These skips are totally random and don't appear in every song. If you get a chance to listen to the disc from start to finish that would be a more accurate test. Though with the Fawlty Towers problem I'm beginning to think I have a "fawlty" unit :). I've called Denon Canada and let them know about the problems so we'll see what they say about it all.

Dave

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I'll try when I get time.

Just to make sure, were you playing DTS tracks or the MLP tracks from the Queen disc? Also, did you have HDMI connection or 5.1 analog one? If HDMI, try analog as well and see if it is OK.

I don't have Faulty Towers DVD though. I guess if your return period is still valid, may be you exchange your player and see.

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Jigesh,

It is the 5.1 MLP version and I am using the analog outputs. If you get the time that would be great.

Everyone,

On the Fawlty Towers problem, I took the disc to the store where I purchased the player and tried it out. Here's what happened: It failed on their 2910 display unit and also failed on their 3910! It worked flawlessly, however, on every other player we tried in the store (high end and lower end players). As chance would have it, the Denon rep was in the store and witnessed all this first hand. The matter is now being escalated. So there is indeed something up with the new Denon models. My return period has been extended indefinitely by store management due to the circumstances. I'll keep the forum updated on what happens.

Dave

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Dave:

Yesterday evening, I played all 5.1 MLP tracks and never it paused/stopped/mal-functioned. To be extra sure, can anyone else please check Queen DVD-A in DVD-2910?

Sorry to know about your Faulty Towers disc.
I have a non-English movie DVD that pauses six times (half-a-second each time) over three hours (movie is 3-hr long). But all these pauses are repeatable and looks like layer-changes (six layers???) because movie immediately resumes after momentary pause; and coincidently, all these momentary pauses are exactly just before the next scene (as per the "scene selection" menu). So mostly it's recorded that way. This happens only on this particular disc.

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
That means the disc was recorded differently; because all the pause-points were scene-change points ("scene selection" menu), and all six pauses are repeatable.

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Well I know it's not the individual Queen DVD-A because I tried another pressing of it and the same problem appeared. These are not major skips or freezes, they are more like blips. I could actually see people missing them if they weren't paying close attenetion.

That is rather annoying about all those pauses in the disc you have Jigesh. You'd think a player at this price range would be able to avoid such problems. I'll bet it plays fine on other players.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Denon...

Dave

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Dave: Keep us updated regarding Denon's reply. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I have posted Queen DVD-A related question/thread here on this forum as well. Hope someone else will try it, too.

I think I'll test my DVD-V that I mentioned earlier (the "six-pause" one) on another DVD player during weekend to see if there are such pauses there.

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

The Sony KP-57WS510, connected via DVI interconnect, G&BL DVI cable, Italian high end brand cable :star: :star: :star: :star: Denon 2910 DVD player, digital out connected via Monster Cable Interlink® Datalink™ 100 Low-Loss S/PDIF Style Digital Coaxial Cable (IDL1001M) and six G&BL analog's for SACD/DVD-A playback or 6 channel DVD playback running through an H/K AVR... Have component connected as well but never use it because I love the 1080i upscaling...
So far so good, I have only noticed
1 layer change, don't recall what title off hand and have watched almost every DVD I own (45 or so) including some of the best reference disks for PQ without a problem..... For SACD's and DVD-A's I've just started my collection since this is my first SACD/DVD-A player so I only own a couple; Areosmith's "Toys In The Attic" (SACD) and David Cheskey's "Introduction To SACD" and a couple of DVD-A's STAIND"S "14 Shades Of Grey" and Alice Coopers "Welcome To My Nightmare" and have yet to have any problems with playback "Knock on Wood" I have also watched "Troy" PAL, Region 2/5; Fallo Region 2 and Ballistic Region 2/5 without a hitch after installing the "Region Free Firmware" upscaled to 1080i via DVI.

Dave,
I am not familiar with "Faulty Towers" is there something odd concerning the coding of this disk ?? sounds like a problem with that specific disk and the way it was coded and the way the Denon reads it, who manufactured it???
Please keep us updated Dave, I'm anxiously waiting to see what Denon has to say.....

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Still no word from Denon but I wanted to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten all of you :) I'll inform the forum as soon as I get a response.

Steve:
The Fawlty Towers disc is made by Warner and the other two discs in the set play fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks