DENON 2910 and non-anamorphic widescreen DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nancy Parr, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Nancy Parr

Nancy Parr Agent

Hi!

I’m using my DENON 2910 DVD player linked to my Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector via a DVI cable. My 2910 is set to send a 720p signal so my projector which is lock in full mode when receiving a HD (720p/1080i) signal.

I’m wondering if there is a setting that can be done in order to be able to watch a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD in 720p ? With the actual settings the movie is vertically compress and the people in the movie look fat. I tried to set the DVD player to 4:3 letterbox instead of 16:9 but that made no change on the picture.

The only solution I can imagine would be to send 480p to my projector. This way the projector will not be look in full mode and it will be possible to set the to projector to "zoom" instead of full mode.

If you have a better solution please tell my.

Thanks.

Nancy Parrish

2. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Use the 480p mode to the projector. Zooming will fill the screen but the image quality will suffer somewhat. DVD's are 480 lines, so upscaling to 720 will not produce a better resolution image.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

On virtually every plasma display Ive ever tried this on, the 720p looked better than 480p, so to each his own. On most plasma displays, the native horizontal pixel structure is 720, so it has to get altered to that many scan lines eventually, so why not let the dvd player do it? That said, the only way to alter aspect ratios for non anamorphic is to feed a 480p signal. For all other anamorphic discs, I use 720p.

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmm most DVD players have an infinant zoom, to correct for this. I can scale it anyway I want up down left right using this feature available on most DVD players.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Of the 11+ different players I've owned over the years, only 2 have had infinite zoom, it is by no means a common feature.

I have a number of favorite films that are only available in non-anamorphic widescreen and have purchased at least 4 or 5 players with scaling features to accomodate them as I don't like the zoom on my tv for this purpose.

Of them all the best overall is my current Zenith DVB-318's infinite vertical zoom. I do have a post-Faroudja Panasonic that has infinite zoom but it's overall pq is lousy.